Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hey! I recognised that!!!

Hey! I recognised that!!!

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Hey! I recognised that!!!

Postby Snowflake » Sun 08.08.2010 6:39 pm

As part of my multimedia Japanese exposure study plan, I often watch Japanese movies. Good exposure to spoken language in action, exposure to Japanese culture and often good stories! Wins all around! Because I'm still a beginner, I watch with subtitles.

Anyway, last night's movie was Tokyo Sonata. Imagine my delight when I found myself catching not one, not two but quite a few words and phrases as they were spoken, before I read the subs! It really made me feel as if I'm making progress with my studies! Hooray! :dance:

Today I watched about an hour again, this time without subs. Of course, this time I knew what was going on and could anticipate words and phrases I knew, but it was still a joy to hear them and KNOW I knew them.

By the way, I found Tokyo Sonata to be very engrossing. It's a character study of a contemporary family whose lives are disrupted when dad is suddenly outsourced from his job but can't bring himself to tell the family.
Snowflake

Native language: English

Re: Hey! I recognised that!!!

Postby TJack » Mon 08.09.2010 12:32 pm

I know that great feeling when you can understand even a little of the dialog, Snowflake. Once, I was watching some random anime without subtitles, and I understood two complete sentences and I was very happy about it. Granted, the sentences were 大丈夫ですか and 行きましょう, but I was happy nonetheless. :D
TJack

Native language: 英語

Postby furrykef » Mon 08.09.2010 8:37 pm

Yep. I've had experiences like that playing through the Japanese version of Yoshi's Island (or "Yossy Island" as it says on the box). Granted, it's much easier to recognize stuff in writing than in speech...
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby The Lady Ashuko » Fri 08.13.2010 10:04 pm

Usually my equivalent is catching words/phrases in J-pop lyrics. Whenever I'd catch one I'd translate it for my mom ^^ In movies/dramas what usually end up happening is I read the subtitle and predict the Japanese (I'm a very fast reader) this causes problems when watching movies in other languages, particularly Korean.
吾輩は猫である。名前はまだ無い。
The Lady Ashuko

Native language: English

Return to General off topic