Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Which apps are best for international calls?

Which apps are best for international calls?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Which apps are best for international calls?

Postby samesame » Sun 06.08.2014 2:22 am

Alright, just so I don't bore you with any details, I am currently living in Japan quite unexpectedly. I only found out I would be moving here a month before actually moving, and I have left all my friends and girlfriend behind. :( For now, I'm just video chatting via Skype when I can, but I would also like the option to call landlines and mobiles (which I understand Skype has, but the rates are not very good?). So what do you guys use for international calls?

I'm doing some research on my own, but i would like some opinions before I actually spend real money!
samesame

Native language: English

Re: Which apps are best for international calls?

Postby Dustin » Sun 06.08.2014 2:34 am

Where would you be calling to?
Dustin

Postby samesame » Mon 06.30.2014 9:53 pm

@Dustin: thanks for your concern. I came from Melbourne, Australia. Sorry for this really late reply. Could you please suggest me with any calling methods you've had experience so far. :wink:
samesame

Postby mickymouse » Mon 06.30.2014 10:02 pm

I am supposed to help. There are many apps for your purpose. I have been using Skype for long for its quality and price.

But currently there's another one called Global Call with cheaper price, plus more promotions and events. So I switch to that. :whistle:
mickymouse

Postby samesame » Tue 07.01.2014 2:56 am

@mickymouse: Thanks for your info. I just searched Global Call on my Android phone. Seems like this app has been receiving good feedback from users.

There's Free $0.5 Event for new users, which sounds nice. At least I can test its quality and price before thinking of spending the real money. How's your idea on this? I am curious whether you simply switch from Skype just because of cheaper rates and promotions :?:
samesame

Postby mickymouse » Thu 07.03.2014 10:33 pm

Well, of course quality must be the most critical factor when it comes to choosing apps. And Global Call is pretty decent to me, when using both wifi and 3G. And yeah I find it comfortable about the promotions cause they usually text message all the users for any offers they have going on. Another thing I prefer Global Call than Skype is that exactly my phone number displayed on the receiver phones, not a weird serial which might suppose to be spam.
mickymouse

Postby samesame » Mon 07.07.2014 1:08 am

I see. Thanks again for such a detailed explanation :)

I already tried the free event with $0.5 credit for new registration. Things are going on well. I also went to their FB page, and seems like a nice app. And I am going to top up for the 1st time to participate in the purchase coupons, receive bonus credits, pizzas and round trip ticket event they are running for Japan and Taiwan residents :D
http://www.globalcallevent.com/pizza_ev ... zza_w.html
samesame

Postby Drea Kirei » Fri 09.12.2014 4:38 am

Skype and Viber. Both are free and have decent signal. Skype tends to freeze more often though, especially during video calls/conferencing. Viber seems smoother for calls.
Drea Kirei

Return to General off topic