Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - American slang?

American slang?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: American slang?

Postby MFoogle » Sat 04.22.2006 10:45 am

oh, and if you were talkign about offending me, nope, it sure didnt! :)
MFoogle

Postby Kitsune-rose » Sat 04.22.2006 11:08 am

MFoogle wrote:
oh, and if you were talkign about offending me, nope, it sure didnt! :)

Whew! Ok, good. I thought you were getting offended. Ok. Wow, you live in IN, and you've never heard biscuits or muthafucka? I live in Hammond, so yeah. They also say that type of slang a lot in Gary, especially muthafucka. Oh well, it's no big deal anyway.
Kitsune-rose

Postby MFoogle » Sat 04.22.2006 11:21 am

hmm...i guess it must be the city/district
MFoogle

Postby Machina Maw » Sun 04.23.2006 1:50 am

Kitsune-rose wrote:
LMAO! This thread is so funny. Ok, here's some I hear on a regular basis:
MuthaFucka- Self explanitory, it sounds just like the phrase. It can be used in two ways:
Let's say someone is really peed off at someone else because they did something to upset them. Like, someone someone spills coke on another person on accident:
Hey man, I spilled coke on you....
MUTHAFUCKA!
Or, there's when you have not seen someone in a while:
Hey! What up man?
Hey, there go my muthafucka! Or, What up muthafucka, or, Hey! Muthafucka where you been muthafucka! You have to be very careful with the second one though. It's only used with people you're EXTREMELY close to.
And then there's "Joe." Anybody can be "Joe." Man, even I'm Joe, and Joe's not my name. Like:
What up Joe?
Hey Joe, come here!
Hey Joe, you got some money?
Man Joe, you peeing me off man.
Yeah, Joe was, and still kinda is, used alot. And then there's "Burned." Burned is usually used when someone just got treated or something. Like:
Man, you so ugly you ARE the ugly stick! Someone may say, "Oh, You just got Burned!" It's simular to Treated.
And then, there's "froggy."(I know, I know, let me explain it.) Let's say you do something stupid. Someone may say, "Oh! If you feel like a froggy then leap!" Like:
Oh crap! I failed an open book test that we could take home!
"Oh! If you feel like a froggy then leap!" I think it's supposed to make the situation seem funnier. Also, it could probably be that when a frog doesn't want to be somewhere, it leaps away. So, if someone embarasses themselves and doesn't want to be there, they should leap away, or something like that.
And then there's "biscuits." Biscuits is used when something looks really old or tacky. Like:
Man, your shoes look like biscuits.
Dude, my shoes ARE biscuits.
Dude, your shirt looks like it's gonna be biscuits after one more wash.
Yeah, I have a lot more, but I think I'll save some more of them for another time.

Ah yes, we have 'muthafucka' here :P it's such an amusing word, don't you think? I haven't heard anyone use it in a while though, except when insulting someone.

Calling someone "Joe"? LOL! That's pretty effing funny. Aussies say "man" as in "Oi man, what's happening?"

We kinda have "burned" but as I said earlier it's WAY more common to hear someone say "Ohhh, shut down!" or "Owned!" haha.
As for ugly stick jokes, my favourite is: "You didn't just get beat by the ugly stick, the whole damn forest thrashed you." ^__^ hahaha.

The froggy and biscuits sayings sound reeeally strange to me. Umm... let me think of a lame Australian saying.

Well I can't think of any right now, but another really common one is "way to", like: "Way to be a nerd," / "way to have a hot boyfriend" / "way to fall on your ass" or prettymuch anything.
Machina Maw

Postby Kitsune-rose » Sun 04.23.2006 10:43 am

Ah yes, we have 'muthafucka' here it's such an amusing word, don't you think? I haven't heard anyone use it in a while though, except when insulting someone.

Yeah,it is quite funny, esecially when people say it when they recognize someone they know. I have a friend who goes to my Upward Bound Program with me who is always using it. Every morning, he greets people with "muthafucka." It's just too hilarious!:D

Calling someone "Joe"? LOL! That's pretty effing funny. Aussies say "man" as in "Oi man, what's happening?"

Yeah, anybody can be "Joe." I have been Joe quite a few times, and so has my dad too.....

We kinda have "burned" but as I said earlier it's WAY more common to hear someone say "Ohhh, shut down!" or "Owned!" haha.

LOL! I like the "shut down," one. I should start using it.

As for ugly stick jokes, my favourite is: "You didn't just get beat by the ugly stick, the whole damn forest thrashed you." ^__^ hahaha.

Dude, as soon as I read that, I started cracking up. That is pretty funny.

The froggy and biscuits sayings sound reeeally strange to me.

Yeah. Honaestly, I don't know who started them. The froggy one was just so funny, that people haven't let it go. It's especially funny when a whole bunch of people say it at the same time. I still hear it around, but it was said a lot when I was in the eighth grade. And as for biscuits, I don't really know.
Kitsune-rose

Postby punkgrl326 » Fri 05.05.2006 11:25 pm

Yeah, I've heard "biscuits" a few times, but it was very short lived in NY. Another short lived one was "grimes". Like if some1 wasn't treated fearly or if you got cheated out of your money or somethin like that, you'd say "Oh, that's grimes" and you might tell the other person "you mad grimey". This was soon replaced by OD, but I still hear it once in a while.
Last edited by punkgrl326 on Sun 05.14.2006 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby dragon89 » Thu 05.11.2006 12:56 pm

I'm Canadian so there's the obvious 'eh'. I'm guilty of using that often. Hm.. 'like' is used quite a lot too, to my annoyance. "He was like so, like, hawt, you like know what I mean" *sigh* 'Oh burn" is quite common, or the more annoying "oh snap" from teeny boppers. The whole rapper/gansta speach is common in some groups of people. "Freaking/fricken/flippin are used.. If I think of more I'll get back to you.
dragon89

Postby jinksys » Thu 05.11.2006 10:38 pm

This thread isnt so much about slang, as it is about common phrases.
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby Sorako » Thu 05.11.2006 10:44 pm

TrilinguisT wrote:
LOL - if anyone in the US heres that word, they would know the person saying that is from Norcal (northern California) i say that word alot, who doesnt here? anywho, i think its cool that hella is only used by us. i wouldnt want the whole nation using that anyways, they wouldnt sound right saying it...

Hella Yeah!!!!!! go, Northern Cali! just kidding, that was gay

Psh, I'm glad we don't use that here. I'm from Northeast Georgia, and that'd be absolutely bizarre with some of the accents around here. I work at a fast food restaurant, and I still find it next to impossible to understand people around here. I was born here, and I still can't understand the southern accent. There's just so much slang mixed in with extremely thick accents that only other people that talk like that can get it. xD I feel like such an outsider here without an accent.
Sorako

Postby Hensha » Thu 05.11.2006 10:59 pm

I love the slang (for something big), "Gihugant". "Jye-Hyu-Jent"

Is "pop" slang? As in a soda?

I think almost everything has slang. Even people. Police are the PoPo. Drugs, weed, coke, grass, 420, mary joanna, uhh.... i swear i'm not a drug-addict.

"Shut your yap!" Yap as in mouth.
"bad" can mean intense, so can "tight"
"benched" as in taken out of a baseball game, or "benched 200 lbs"

also, penises can be wankers, weiners, hot dogs, hard-ons, and almost anything else that can make you sound incredibly immature.

not sure if any of this is for Australia, but oh well. They have all these racial slurs for people like aussie, and so on. What about americans? Besides "Crackers".
Last edited by Hensha on Thu 05.11.2006 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hensha

Postby Seijiro Hiko » Thu 05.11.2006 11:04 pm

Snap! - Said when suddenly remembering something.

Being from West Texas I've heard stuff like: "I reckon" Ex: I reckon that truck over thar gets good gas mileage.
or - "I'll tell you what" - No real meaning by itself as far as I can tell.
(maybe its more of a redneck thing)

Also does anybody know anyone that calls lunch dinner? (mostly old people as far as I can tell)
Seijiro Hiko

Postby jinksys » Thu 05.11.2006 11:48 pm

Seijiro Hiko wrote:

Being from West Texas I've heard stuff like: "I reckon" Ex: I reckon that truck over thar gets good gas mileage.

Also does anybody know anyone that calls lunch dinner? (mostly old people as far as I can tell)

Here is missouri you can call your evening meal dinner or supper, but no one I know calls lunch anything other than lunch.
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby Machina Maw » Fri 05.12.2006 12:41 am

Wata_Shi wrote:
I love the slang (for something big), "Gihugant". "Jye-Hyu-Jent"

Is "pop" slang? As in a soda?

I think almost everything has slang. Even people. Police are the PoPo. Drugs, weed, coke, grass, 420, mary joanna, uhh.... i swear i'm not a drug-addict.

"Shut your yap!" Yap as in mouth.
"bad" can mean intense, so can "tight"
"benched" as in taken out of a baseball game, or "benched 200 lbs"

also, penises can be wankers, weiners, hot dogs, hard-ons, and almost anything else that can make you sound incredibly immature.

not sure if any of this is for Australia, but oh well. They have all these racial slurs for people like aussie, and so on. What about americans? Besides "Crackers".

I'm familiar with all those... except "PoPo", haha! No one here says "pop" for soda, and very, VERY rarely will you hear someone saying 'soda'. We say "soft drink" (which prettymuch means, alchohol-free). We have heaps of slang for the police; most common being "cops"/"coppers" and "pigs". There's also a lot of slang for drugs, some of them are just stupid. Ecstasy has gone from the original name to XTC, to eckies, and the latest is "bickies" which is ridiculous.

Oh yes, and we have innumerable slang for both male and female genitalia. The strangest I have ever heard would be "winky the milk-spitting tunnel ferret" :|. I cannot imagine who would ever enjoy makings these things up.

Seijiro Hiko wrote:

The only time I hear 'snap' is the card game of the same name. :p
Heaps of Australians say "I reckon", in the same context as you've written, and also as a way of agreeing with someone - e.g. "That girl is hot." "I reckon!"
We have other useless sayings that are similar to "I reckon"; such as "true" or "fair enough".

I hear "I'll tell you what" when people are coming to an agreement. "Look mate, I'll tell ya what, if you buy this car I'll throw in a free stereo."

As for the lunch/dinner thing, I used to read alot of Enid Blyton (famous English children's author) books. Actually, I still do sometimes. Anyway, I don't think they used the word lunch - they had "dinner" at around 1pm or so, and "supper" at night. I think that's right.

Anyway, here our evening meal isn't "dinner", it's "tea" :p like; "Oi mum, what's for tea tonight?"

Only a few people I have ever heard say "dinner".
Machina Maw

Postby jinksys » Fri 05.12.2006 1:47 am

"I tell you what" is the southern version of the partical YO. lol.

oh, and I prefer purple-headed yogurt slinger. lol
Last edited by jinksys on Fri 05.12.2006 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby Machina Maw » Fri 05.12.2006 1:50 am

LOL!!
Machina Maw

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic