Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Facing your fears.

Facing your fears.

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Facing your fears.

Postby CuriousDrew » Fri 09.01.2006 8:17 pm

Now for something way off topic. ;)

I was wondering if anyone has ever "faced their fears" and tried to a get over a phobia or just did something scary (to prove to themselves they can) like bungee jumping or parachuting. I remember one or two of my friend at collage use to have some great stories. I'll go first.

When I when to secondary school I realised something, I wasn't very keen on highs. I felt nauseous if a looked down the stairwell there. I had never been very high up before then to it came as a surprise. Well five years on and I'm at collage, and I still suffered from it, it wasn't something too bad and I suppose lots of people suffer from it but i didn't like it at all. So I decided to have a flying lesson.

I saved up (it took a while) and booked it. When I finally got to the plane, it was a Cessna 159. If you don't know what one is then basically its a shopping cart with wings stuck on the top. You sit on a pad with a backrest bolted directly to the floor(bout a quarter inch thick) and there is hardly room for two people. I flew the plane myself (with the instructor only taking over to line me up with the runway and help when I hit some turbulence).

Needless to say my phobia disappeared. :D
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
CuriousDrew

RE: Facing your fears.

Postby Shibakoen » Fri 09.01.2006 8:30 pm

I went skydiving once. It was fun and I definitely want to do it again. They just say that if you do it the second time, you should start doing it regularly because if you don't then you have to go back to tandem jumping...

Moving to Japan without knowing anyone, only being able to speak basic Japanese, and with no teaching experience was definitely MUCH more intimidating than hurling myself out of an airplane at like 15000 ft. and into a 60 second freefall.
Shibakoen

Postby CuriousDrew » Fri 09.01.2006 8:37 pm

Cool. I though about sky diving myself, but decided that was way beyond me. :)
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
CuriousDrew

Postby Sumi » Fri 09.01.2006 10:05 pm

I remember the first time I went off of a zip-line.
I'm terribly afraid of heights, but when I finally went off
it was like a burden was off of my chest. Although, I do go
whenever I go to camp.
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Postby john2 » Sat 09.02.2006 10:59 am

i have a fobia of long form dosent seam like i posted here
john2

Postby Infidel » Sat 09.02.2006 1:47 pm

every time I ride a roller coaster with my friends.

Btw, I have a fear of heights too, but I don't consider a plane to be a challenge to that fear. I never felt my fear of heights kick in pressing my face against the airplane window.

Now those big "paris" towers they have in some theme parks, the really tall ones, with the wire mesh floor, those freak me out.

I also freaked out when i was on the carrier. Parts of the walkway were wire mesh too, and walking those at night when all the lights were out was pretty frightning.

I did flatly refuse to do any work on the mast. Whenever they insulted or threatened me, I just told them I'd kill them in their sleep. Funny, I never got hazed like the other guys.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby emingygurl » Sat 09.02.2006 1:57 pm

Hm...going to Japan, knowing limited Japanese and knowing no one will seem scary, but exciting. I now have a phobia of tanning beds, thanks to Final Destination 3. XD And all bugs and insects, except pill bugs, butterflies, lady bugs, and moths. Done nothing to quench my fear. XD
"It's not that I want to win, it's just that I don't want to lose."- Gackt
emingygurl

Postby Sumi » Sat 09.02.2006 3:56 pm

I know! Ever since Final Destination 3 & that terrible tanning scene, I have to say that the tanning businesses here in my city have suffered.
Sumi

Postby kanadajin » Sat 09.02.2006 4:56 pm

I know! Ever since Final Destination 3 & that terrible tanning scene, I have to say that the tanning businesses here in my city have suffered.

LOL.. That was funny... (I mean that part in the movie)

Anyway, I've never really faced any of my fears because I don't know what im afraid of(I know im afraid of stuff, obviously)...
Last edited by kanadajin on Sat 09.02.2006 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanadajin

Postby datdo » Sat 09.02.2006 6:13 pm

u probably have a fear of dying but i wouldn't try to test that fear...

i myself don't have have a fear a heights...its more of a fear of coming down from heights. I can go up a rickety flight of stairs but its a whole 'nother thing to try to make me go down the same stairs...
last year I went hiking in Nevada in the Philmont Scout Ranch and I climbed up the tallest mountain, Mt. Baldy, and came down
datdo

Postby kanadajin » Sat 09.02.2006 6:17 pm

fear of death? nope.. I've almost died before, a few times actually. The only reason I wouldn't want to die is my friends and family(I mean I there are other reasons but.. you understand! I hope)..
kanadajin

Postby emingygurl » Sat 09.02.2006 6:24 pm

Yeah, odd thing is, the movie did nothing to my love of roller coasters. -shrug- Oh well. XD And I actually love heights, but I guess I have a small fear of being dropped, but it was probably just apprehension and nervous. Like at the fair, they had a crain or whatever that lifted you up waaaaaaay up high while in a harness and drops you down, letting you swing back and forth. I screamed on the way down but loved it after...five seconds. =P
emingygurl

Postby kanadajin » Sat 09.02.2006 6:33 pm

I don't really have a fear of heights.. I love being up high but I always think im going to fall.. for example on planes(crashing).. or falling off a ferry oO..

Speaking of heights.. What about those rides that go really high and then drop super fast. I went on one and it was like 2 G's or more.. That means I was falling at double my weight.. which would be 300 pounds.
kanadajin

Postby emingygurl » Sat 09.02.2006 6:51 pm

Ooh I love those rides. XD I like the one where you sit down, and it takes you up, then drops you. Stops. Drops you. Stops. o.O;;

Uhh..are you a pessimist? XDD I think that, too, on planes only. Doesn't help when mom says, "The bigger they are the harder they fall." x_x

Speaking of pessimists, today my mom has NOT shut up about news about people being raped, dying, and a dream she had of me being raped. It's like...shut up. >_<
emingygurl

Postby Sumi » Sat 09.02.2006 8:43 pm

kanadajin wrote:

LOL.. That was funny... (I mean that part in the movie)

Anyway, I've never really faced any of my fears because I don't know what im afraid of(I know im afraid of stuff, obviously)...

It is funny but scary at the same time.
Sumi

Next

Return to General off topic