Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Wikipedia...is it reliable?

Wikipedia...is it reliable?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Wikipedia...is it reliable?

Postby chikara » Sun 11.05.2006 7:08 pm

datdo wrote:
chikara wrote:
So the quality of an education is determined by how much it costs?

Exactly.

Well your parents are obviously getting their money's worth.

Has your History teacher also told you that the word "gullible" has been removed from the latest edition of the Oxford English Dictionary?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby paul_b » Sun 11.05.2006 7:14 pm

datdo wrote:
chikara wrote:

Exactly.

You should phone your school and demand they double their fees at once.
paul_b

Postby M_Darklighter » Sun 11.05.2006 7:35 pm

Anyone can add on to or write an article for Wikipedia. You never know who wrote it, it could be someone who doesn't know what the hell they are talking about, or an expert. I wouldn't trust it completely, but it's a good reference.
***wHeN lOvE aNd DeAtH eMbRaCe***
M_Darklighter

Postby datdo » Sun 11.05.2006 10:44 pm

tanuki wrote:
I would expect a history teacher to recognize how big a role mathematics played in the development of the civilization.

What is he going to say next, linguists are wasting their time?

ok...maybe I exaggerated a little...though he did say that mathematics was not the exact truth. Its a guess or estimation of the truth. His example was a derivative. Its an estimation of what the slope is a a point...though linearization would have been a better example. Wait no one even use linearization is one the most useless math topics I've learned.

I'll ask him questions about language tommorrow.
datdo

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 11.05.2006 11:41 pm

It's entirely possible that what your teacher is saying is thought-provoking and makes perfect sense, but that it is beyond the ability of some or all of his students to absorb or convey to others.

If he says something ludicrous and chuckles to himself "Yeah....that'll make 'em think!" and all the while the class is just eating it up with a spoon thinking it's the gospel, then ya got problems.

It's possible that he's teaching over everyone's heads. More likely is that he is one of those people about whom the late and much lamented philosopher J. Clower remarked, "Some people are educated beyond their intelligence."
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby Kagemaru » Mon 11.06.2006 4:41 am

I think you nailed it right there Mike.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.06.2006 11:18 am

datdo wrote:
aw I like my history teacher. Hes probably the best in the school and most students would agree with that. If I submitted it to the paper it'd probably be put under the humor section with a title like "****'s War on Wikipedia"

His teaching style allows students to learn what is traditionally taught in history use it to prove that governments plan cities so they can kill citizens easily and that mathematetians<sp> are wasting their time because math isn't real. He also teaches using random web pages he finds on the internet too...like the brick testament

that sounds like your teacher is only teaching you what he wants, or his motivations or agendas. No true teacher worth his salt would ever just teach random crap like that.. the best teacher, puts the right materials and info in reach and let's youcome to your own conclussions, even if they are in exact opposition to his own thoughts.. Nothing worse than a teacher who tells you to think freely, then flunks your essay because you don't agree with him.. doh!!
two_heads_talking

Postby Infidel » Mon 11.06.2006 1:20 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
It's entirely possible that what your teacher is saying is thought-provoking and makes perfect sense, but that it is beyond the ability of some or all of his students to absorb or convey to others.

If he says something ludicrous and chuckles to himself "Yeah....that'll make 'em think!" and all the while the class is just eating it up with a spoon thinking it's the gospel, then ya got problems.

It's possible that he's teaching over everyone's heads. More likely is that he is one of those people about whom the late and much lamented philosopher J. Clower remarked, "Some people are educated beyond their intelligence."

Every year, Scientific American gets some hate mail because people couldn't identify the April Fools article and they embarrased themselves educating others about it.
Last edited by Infidel on Mon 11.06.2006 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.06.2006 2:05 pm

datdo wrote:
no hes not that bad....like right now I'm working on a 1000 word essay on why the Catholic Reformation should be called the Catholic Counter-Reformation. He's not all crazy. He's just eccentric. Thats all.

i guess you are ok with him because you tend to follow his ideas.. i personally think he has a screw loose.

datdo wrote:
chikara wrote:

Exactly.

then you should ask for a refund because your parents are getting ripped off and you are being taken like a pimps ho.. :o

[Watch it with the double posts -Paul]
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Mon 11.06.2006 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby AJBryant » Mon 11.06.2006 3:31 pm

More likely is that he is one of those people about whom the late and much lamented philosopher J. Clower remarked, "Some people are educated beyond their intelligence."

A much lamented loss is Mr. Clower.

I learned a lot from his.... er, lectures.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby datdo » Sat 01.27.2007 8:48 pm

I still don't know who this Clower fellow is...
datdo

Postby flammable hippo » Sat 01.27.2007 9:17 pm

Your teacher seems almost as messed up as my old earth science teacher. He knew what he was talking about but he was insane...Like this one time a bunch of kids go running by in the hallway and he goes to yell at them, just like a normal teacher would. But when he came back in he yelled at US and BLAMED US for them running outside...And he would always talk about how he would love kayaking, he would spend probably 20 minutes of class time talking about how he went kayaking the other day and then when we didn't have enough time left to finish the lesson he of course, blamed us because apparently we were the ones talking...And if that weren't bad enough he had to be the most boring person on the planet, he didn't have any pitch to his voice at all; it was completely monotone all the time...

And y'all should have seen his reaction when a peperoni pizza was delivered to our class under his name (he's jewish) ;)

It wasn't me by the way though who ordered it...
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Sat 01.27.2007 10:23 pm

I had to do a report once and needed to look up some info on The Hulk. I went to the wikipedia page and found at the top:

"The Hulk is a fat *butt* green *freak* that no one likes, *Female Dog*"

*words that were substituted.

Or something to that extent. I'd say wikipedia was very accurate :D
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Chenzah » Sun 01.28.2007 6:28 am

datdo wrote:ok...maybe I exaggerated a little...though he did say that mathematics was not the exact truth. Its a guess or estimation of the truth. His example was a derivative. Its an estimation of what the slope is a a point...though linearization would have been a better example. Wait no one even use linearization is one the most useless math topics I've learned.

You're paying... how much... for this *enlightening* education you're receiving?

There is a purpose for every school of mathematics, even linearization. If so much as one of them was erased from time the world as we know it wouldn't exist.

Secondly, this is the first time in my life i have ever heard someone say maths isn't truthful. I've heard the exact opposite thousands of times though. 5 will always be 5, and two lots of 5 will always be 10. Some argue that Mathematics is the only certainty in the world, and all other things are just probabilities.
Chenzah

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 01.28.2007 7:23 am

datdo wrote:
I still don't know who this Clower fellow is...

A late and much lamented philosopher, as I said.

Wikipedia entry
Ole Miss Biography
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Previous

Return to General off topic