Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Datdo's History Teacher

Datdo's History Teacher

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Datdo's History Teacher

Postby datdo » Tue 12.05.2006 1:17 am

I got bored and decided that I'll post some of my teacher's "radical" ideas and you guys can attempt to prove him wrong...though this won't be a diary...because thats not allowed....

today in class we discussed the Great Cat Massacre. It took place right before the French Revolution and we're learning about it because it can teach students about the mindset of the French people just before the Revolution began. Just so you know the Great Cat Massacre was basically some French printershop workers getting pissed off at their master so they tortured his wife's cats one day. Anyway here are the ideas to think about:

1) Some animals defy normal classification. Cows are grazers....birds are flying creatures....but whats a pig? It slops around in mud and eats trash...dogs? man's best friend?....and cats. They just lay around and sometimes have some human characteristics
2) These animals are tabooed(sp) for this reason sometimes - maybe why jews don't eat pork...
3) These animals also can make great stand-ins for real people...we give them vocalizations in our language but thats not really the sound they make...cats dont go meow...or ニャア...we give them human characteristic so they can "be" people... like how the cats represented the snooty upperclass.
4) Mardi Gras- why is it allowed? to relieve the stress of living in the cage called society. We can drink in excessive amounts and be promiscuous ... not usually allowed though. The government allows for this to happen because they want to relieve the stress before it build up into something like a revolt
5) Back in the day...before any of our grandparents time....carnivals were different...they were a time when peasants could pretend to reverse the roles and mock the upperclass.

Thats all I remember...
Last edited by datdo on Tue 12.05.2006 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
datdo

RE: Datdo's History Teacher

Postby Infidel » Tue 12.05.2006 4:37 am

.but whats a pig?

Scavenger.
dogs & Cats

Predator

3) These animals also can make great stand-ins for real people

People naturally treat their pets that way-- personifying them. It doesn't matter what animal the pet is. People personify their pet fish.

4) Mardi Gras- why is it allowed?

Tradition.

carnivals were different...they were a time when peasants could pretend to reverse the roles and mock the upperclass.

How is this different?
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby paul_b » Tue 12.05.2006 5:09 am

datdo wrote:
though this won't be a diary...because thats not allowed....

You're not allowed diaries? So no 史学教師観察日記.
paul_b

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 12.05.2006 10:23 am

I dunno Datdo, those ideas don't sound radical, they sound uninformed. Unless of course, he is using them to provoke the students into looking things up and thinking for themselves, and if that is the case, he has succeeded in causing you to at least think about what he is saying..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby datdo » Tue 01.09.2007 9:01 pm

hmmm....more....

The Carribean used to be the white man's death trap. Thats part of the reason why Haiti won its indepence from France. Another reason was because it was so far away(like USA from Brits)

The French have three responces to problems: kill people, riot, and starve
datdo

Postby angstycoder » Tue 01.09.2007 9:15 pm

datdo wrote:but whats a pig?

Wild pigs hunt and forage. Domesticated pigs forage.

dogs? man's best friend?....and cats. They just lay around and sometimes have some human characteristics

If domesticated. In the wild both are hunters (as mentioned above)

These animals are tabooed(sp) for this reason sometimes - maybe why jews don't eat pork...

They don't eat pork beacuse it is unclean. One could argue that it goes back to pigs having some kind of worms and other sources of food poisoning. Ah, wiki got it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taboo_meat#Pigs.2FPork

These animals also can make great stand-ins for real people...we give them vocalizations in our language but thats not really the sound they make...cats dont go meow...or ニャア...we give them human characteristic so they can "be" people... like how the cats represented the snooty upperclass.

We attempt to represent things. The wind wooshes, which is technically personification, but we are not trying to make them into people, just referencing traits of people.

Mardi Gras- why is it allowed? to relieve the stress of living in the cage called society. We can drink in excessive amounts and be promiscuous ... not usually allowed though. The government allows for this to happen because they want to relieve the stress before it build up into something like a revolt

Mardis Gras, or fat tuesday, is the last day before lent and fasting in Catholicism. The parade celebrates a religious holiday, although since secular in nature. The promiscuity is mostly associated with the bad side. People are promiscuous period. Durex condoms has tons of stats from their yearly survey on their website (probably not safe for work on principal.) It's just associated with it in the mind because of the media.

Back in the day...before any of our grandparents time....carnivals were different...they were a time when peasants could pretend to reverse the roles and mock the upperclass.

According to dictionary.com, the etymology comes from carnalevare,meaning to take away meat which is... lent. It comes from Carinval which is the celebration on Mardis Gras. As for the history, find an encyclopedia and have at it.
Last edited by angstycoder on Tue 01.09.2007 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angstycoder: "指の臨死体験"
kagemaru: ? ? ?
angstycoder: "I meant finger has near death experience"
kagemaru "doesn't work. You said 'Finger of near death experience'"
angstycoder: "Did I mention I don't know grammar?"
angstycoder

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 01.10.2007 6:19 am

Your teacher would love a bogus theory I once concocted about the racist symbolism in Disney characters. I wish I could remember exactly how it went. It was so long ago and so outlandish that I can't recall it all. It centered around the fact that both Goofy and Pluto are dogs.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby angstycoder » Wed 01.10.2007 8:26 am

Actually, some people got very angry at the scene in the Lion King where the hyenas were marching rank and file before Scar, goosestepping and turning their heads as they passed him.
angstycoder: "指の臨死体験"
kagemaru: ? ? ?
angstycoder: "I meant finger has near death experience"
kagemaru "doesn't work. You said 'Finger of near death experience'"
angstycoder: "Did I mention I don't know grammar?"
angstycoder

Postby ComradeJoe » Wed 01.10.2007 8:52 am

I heard something like that too. IIRC some germans thought the scene was hinting at nazism and got pretty upset, but TBH many other countries, even non-totalitarian ones, used to have their troops salute the head of state as they passed him by. So how they determined it was hinting at ww2 era german parades of all things is beyond me.
Last edited by ComradeJoe on Wed 01.10.2007 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
私の下手な日本語を許してください。
ComradeJoe

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.10.2007 10:40 am

because people generally try to find things to be offended by. rather than assume the best, they assume the worst ...
two_heads_talking

Postby Infidel » Wed 01.10.2007 4:45 pm

I'd go a step further. People think they are the center of the world. So if they see something they don't understand, they assume it's about them.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Dehitay » Wed 01.10.2007 6:52 pm

Infidel wrote:
I'd go a step further. People think they are the center of the world. So if they see something they don't understand, they assume it's about them.

What? Are you talking about me? I'm not like that! *angry rant*

har har, that actually explains a lot of things incredibly well
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 01.11.2007 7:07 am

Dehitay wrote:
Infidel wrote:

What? Are you talking about me? I'm not like that! *angry rant*

I think he was talking to Travis.
Mike Cash

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 01.12.2007 6:39 pm

I had a history teacher in high school who said that Moslems "worship" Mohammed and Muslims worship Muhammed.

(This was the same class where the first test was drawing pictures of dinosaurs which he called "schematics", and the lesson on the Middle Ages was one of the pages from Where's Waldo.)
Last edited by Yudan Taiteki on Fri 01.12.2007 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 01.13.2007 7:11 am

My 8th grade science teacher informed us that the Saturn rockets actually leave the ground at their full speed and what the television showed us was a tape greatly slowed down so that we could enjoy seeing them take off.

The thought that such instantaneous acceleration was both physically unlikely and apt to kill the astronauts never crossed her mind.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Sat 01.13.2007 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cash

Next

Return to General off topic