Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - japanese boy school uniform -where to get?

japanese boy school uniform -where to get?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: japanese boy school uniform -where to get?

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 12.12.2006 1:46 pm

there is no age limit to cosplay, just like there is no age limit to LARP (live action role play). It is just a matter of what people like personally.

going to any SCA (society of creative Acronyms) event will prove that there are those that like to attend the events and buy the cool wares, those that like to attend the events and dress up some, those that like to attend the events, dress up some and even change their speach patterns and behaviors, and even those that attend the events and become the characters they protray. There is room for everyone and all levels of commitment.

To some the person who takes the time to build armor and weapons is just a goof, while others scoff at the person who makes their own clothes and enjoys the atmosphere. How different is that from any other LIve Action replay of history, such as the civil war reinactments, or the revolutionary reinactments or the cowboys and indians reinactments in the west or other historical reinactments that go on throughout the world. (oh yeah i guess the difference is historical vs fantastical, which to be honest can be nearly the same thing depending on legend...)

Sure cosplay is based on anime, but who really cares, if you don't like it, don't worry about it.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby paul_b » Tue 12.12.2006 2:08 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
there is no age limit to cosplay, just like there is no age limit to LARP

There should be a weight limit though. I discovered the word "moob" googling on "bad+cosplay". Don't you make the same mistake.
paul_b

Postby Dehitay » Tue 12.12.2006 3:57 pm

paul_b wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
there is no age limit to cosplay, just like there is no age limit to LARP

There should be a weight limit though. I discovered the word "moob" googling on "bad+cosplay". Don't you make the same mistake.

even the weight isn't the problem for me. I'm just disappointed when people dress like some one who they don't resemble at all. As long as old people cosplay as old characters and fat people cosplay as fat characters, I still think they're cool. But 300 pound Sakura (from Naruto) was not cool! It actually took me about 4 minutes to figure out who she was impersonating when the outfit and pink-ish hair should have made it obvious
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby punkgrl326 » Tue 12.12.2006 4:34 pm

Dehitay hit it on the nail ;) As long as people resemble the character they're trying to portray, it's fine with me. But please, please, no 300 pound Sakura! That's enough to give me nightmares :(

Good Cosplay:

Bad Cosplay:
Last edited by punkgrl326 on Tue 12.12.2006 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 12.12.2006 4:44 pm

punkgrl326 wrote:
Dehitay hit it on the nail ;) As long as people resemble the character they're trying to portray, it's fine with me. But please, please, no 300 pound Sakura! That's enough to give me nightmares :(

baseed on that theory, then no one could roleplay unless they found a role they fit into.. the bigest part of roleplay is being something or someone you can't be in real life and a 300 lb sakura is fine with me.. so what if she/they don't look like what we think they should. ever seen an american try to look ranma 1/2? hmm, wonder why that shouldn't happen..

roleplaying is all about being able to break out of the standard peer pressure you are what you are dogma.. is the 300 lb sakura appealing? no, but who cares, let them enjoy what they like who the frag are we to judge them? I mean really a 22 year old texan playing dress up is a bit odd in it's own right no? of course not, if that's what you like. besides, Dehitay why don't you dress up like Obaasan? I think it would do you some good. :o

paul_b wrote:

lol, now that is funny.. definately don't want to make that mistake..
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Tue 12.12.2006 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Tue 12.12.2006 10:03 pm

To get back on topic, the other day I saw some school-boy uniform costumes at Tokyu Hands. It was about $70 for the whole set. The quality wouldn't be as durable as a real uniform, but it won't cost $300 either (or however much they are).

So, looking for a costume instead of a real uniform might be an idea to save some money.
keatonatron

Previous

Return to General off topic