Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - senior project

senior project

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

senior project

Postby tsan_aznboi » Wed 12.13.2006 11:40 pm

i'm looking for a project ideas that relates to electronics. is there anything that you would like to have made or want to see implemented in real life, if so please help me out with some of your ideas. i appreciate it.........anything ideas is fine.

domo arigatou gozaimasu :D
tsan_aznboi

RE: senior project

Postby Dehitay » Thu 12.14.2006 11:58 am

PDA with voice recognition. Stuff that voice recognition software writes is hilarious sometimes.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 12.15.2006 7:10 am

Digital cameras that automatically orient the pictures based on the position the camera was in when the shot was taken.
Mike Cash

Postby Kagemaru » Fri 12.15.2006 7:28 am

Auto zippers...

Winter time, my hands are full, I dont want to put my luggage on the dirty floor and fumble for a zipper whilst wearing gloves.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby keatonatron » Fri 12.15.2006 9:09 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Digital cameras that automatically orient the pictures based on the position the camera was in when the shot was taken.

I saw a cell phone the other day that had a gravity sensor in it. The standby screen looked like a glass tank half full of water, and depending on the way you turned the phone the water would slosh around and react to gravity.

It's possible that the camera in that phone would be able to auto-orient, but I didn't think to try it out.

Kagemaru wrote:
Auto zippers...

Winter time, my hands are full, I dont want to put my luggage on the dirty floor and fumble for a zipper whilst wearing gloves.

Haha, you'd have a little remote control like those vans with the doors that open themselves.

I'd also have one on my pants for when I wanted to go to the bathroom but felt too lazy.
keatonatron

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 12.15.2006 9:16 am

Kagemaru wrote:
Auto zippers...

Place one leg forward, heel on the ground, toes raised, and rest your luggage on your foot, leaned back against your shin. Works for me.
Mike Cash

Postby tanuki » Fri 12.15.2006 10:07 am

keatonatron wrote:
I saw a cell phone the other day that had a gravity sensor in it. The standby screen looked like a glass tank half full of water, and depending on the way you turned the phone the water would slosh around and react to gravity.

My cell phone also reacts to gravity. I hold it a couple of meters from the floor, drop it, and when it reaches ground, little parts come flying out. It rocks.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 12.15.2006 10:57 am

autozippers.. you definately don't want the warning device to go out on those babies..
two_heads_talking

Postby Dehitay » Fri 12.15.2006 11:17 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
autozippers.. you definately don't want the warning device to go out on those babies..

LMAO, painful hilarity

but now I'm reminded, weren't keantonatron and me making a mini printer for cell phones to abolish the need for handwriting?
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby Sakana_12345 » Tue 12.19.2006 12:27 pm

I wish I could choose the auto-zipper project for my course but my tutor opted for the safer option of everyone making a radio, nowhere near as much fun.

Of course I'd have to pay someone to test the prototype, maybe make them sign some papers stating that I am not liable for any 'property damage' if you know what I mean.

A codpiece would be mandatory aswell.
Sakana_12345

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 12.19.2006 12:54 pm

in some electronics labs, making a radio is not a safer option..

good luck on your project..
two_heads_talking

Postby Chris Hart » Tue 12.19.2006 2:23 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
in some electronics labs, making a radio is not a safer option..

good luck on your project..

Ah yes, the Kilowatt (aka legal limit) amplifier...

Did the teacher specify what kind?

There are some simple designs for transmitters. If you are looking for general electronics/hardware hacking ideas, you might want to look at hackaday, if you are looking at radio projects, (especially if you are licensed), you may want to check with the ARRL, RSGB, or JARL

At least in the US, most public libraries will carry QST, which is published by the ARRL, and frequently will also have other electronics publications. You can also order a free sample issue of Nuts and Volts online.

You may also want to try your local ham radio club(s) for ideas, or to find an elmer (mentor)

EDIT:

Correction on Nuts and Volts policy -
You now must order a subscription and cancel it to get the free issue. You used to be able to order just a free sample copy.
Last edited by Chris Hart on Tue 12.19.2006 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 12.19.2006 8:10 pm

Mike Cash wrote:

Actually, almost all cameras have this function in them. I've had this since I got one of the first model digi-cams (a kodak something or other that weighed almost a kilo).

The problem is that windows and many other software programs don't recognize the variable, for some reason. :/

My olympus auto-rotates the picture in the viewfinder, but when I import into windows, I have to re-rotate them by hand.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby kohyin » Wed 12.20.2006 1:20 am

It may aleady be available, but I really would like a cell phone with video chat capacity.

Also a pocket sized device that contains cellphone, video chat, camcorder, camera, wordprocessor, internet browser, MP3 player, video game all in one.

Also a Fly pentop computer capapble of recognizing Japanese letters and words.
緑@光陰
http://www.kohyin.com
署l署F、皆仲良くしましょう。
kohyin

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 12.20.2006 9:25 am

Sakana_12345 wrote:
I wish I could choose the auto-zipper project for my course but my tutor opted for the safer option of everyone making a radio, nowhere near as much fun.

A codpiece would be mandatory aswell.

What the hell kind of radio are you making that would require a codpiece?
Mike Cash

Next

Return to General off topic