Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Say something about the member above you.

Say something about the member above you.

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Say something about the member above you.

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Wed 01.17.2007 10:36 pm

Axlen - Loves rules and follows them. Boring.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Hatori » Sat 01.20.2007 12:29 am

PPNessa: Makes me laugh at siggy.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby zengargoyle » Sat 01.20.2007 3:10 am

guillaumexerces wrote:
The collapsing of the universe is not solely depedent upon its shape but also the content of the universe. If the universe is too dense it will collapse back upon its self because its content will not have the escape velocity to continue expansions. If the universe has a less massive content then it is possable that the universe could expand indefinatly. Or more likely we do not understand the concept of demensions in full.

even better, according to Tipler's Omega Point Theory the purpose of intelligent life in the universe is to expand throughout the physical universe and once the universe is saturated by intelligence, the intelligence will transform the distribution of matter within the universe so that upon collapse due to the redistribution of matter, the universe will collapse more slowly thus giving rise to the 'eternity' so common in religious beliefs. since all actions (of the mind in particular) give rise to information which can not be destroyed (only dispersed), when the universe is once again the size of an orange, all that ever was and all that ever will be will once again be present at the same time well within the light-cone that determines the ability to interact. and due to the increased number of interaction events (which describe time), this conglameration of 'all that has been' will once more exist in an event space that is indestinenguishable from 'eternity'... <muahahahaha>
Just wondering what is your authority on physics?

no authority. some boring history... i went to a private 'self-study' school around 3rd grade or so where instead of teachers, you went through workbooks. they eventually made me stop studying math/science because i was getting too far ahead. later in public schools, i scared my teachers. by 5th grade my math teacher let me work through the book on my own and i just put the answers to the end-of-chapter questions into a folder in a file cabinet. by high-school i was tutoring upperclassmen/women ( :) ) in math and science. i studied Physics and Calculus as a junior at a summer program at Cal Tech, and when i went to college i found out that the textbook i used during that summer program was used for 4 semesters worth of college classes. my high-school math/science time was spent answering questions that my teachers couldn't, and sleeping.... i had the highest score (except for a teacher) on the Navy recruitment test in my part of the country, and i came this -><- close to joining the Navy and getting a masters in nuclear physics (but i didn't want to cut my hair, and i can't take orders worth a ****). in college Physics turned out to be too boring and abstract and i couldn't see how i would make a living. it's either the small stuff (particles and junk) or the big stuff (cosmology) and i couldn't see a real world application that wasn't either dangerous (nukes) or sketchy (theory). so i went to computer science instead, abstract yet practical. a few years later i came into a decent source of income from an inheritance and spent 4 years or so doing nothing but reading every book in the public library that struck my fancy. so around say 1995-ish timespan you can assume that i read every book that was available on Physics, Cosmology, Artificial Intelligence, Consciousness, Philosophy, Neurobiology, Linguistics, and other things along that line... i've read all of Feynman's lectures and books, pretty much everything Hawking has written, and i still read random papers that turn up in my web-browsing...

so, i'm pretty much a failed Physics PhD. who still tries to keep up with what's going on in the field. i'm probably a bit rusty on the details, but i still enjoy the subject and follow along with the best of my ability because it's still facinating.

Any suggested reading?

depends on where your interests lie... i try and flip through a few books on the subject every time i visit a (insert favorite bookstore here) and i really don't see anything groundbreaking in comparison to the time i was deeply into the subject. anything by Feynman is worth a read, especially if you can get your hands on his 'Lectures in Physics' books, or 'QED' (Quantum Electro-Dynamics). and read some Hawking. your best bet is to read some generic books and look at the footnote/bibliography information for other books to read. visit your public library and find the section related to Physics and just start reading books, and then read the books in the bibliography sections. it won't take you long to make a short list of authors/scientists who are on the leading-edge of the current research. visit http://www.physorg.com/ often and just start reading...
zengargoyle

Postby buzz » Sat 01.20.2007 3:57 am

@zengargoyle - Loves to write big pieces of text that no one is going to read. :)
buzz

Postby Kdar » Sat 01.20.2007 10:51 am

buzz got it right about zengargoyle... :)
Kdar

Postby hyperconjugated » Sat 01.20.2007 11:20 am

zengargoyle wrote:
Any suggested reading?

depends on where your interests lie... i try and flip through a few books on the subject every time i visit a (insert favorite bookstore here) and i really don't see anything groundbreaking in comparison to the time i was deeply into the subject. anything by Feynman is worth a read, especially if you can get your hands on his 'Lectures in Physics' books, or 'QED' (Quantum Electro-Dynamics). and read some Hawking. your best bet is to read some generic books and look at the footnote/bibliography information for other books to read. visit your public library and find the section related to Physics and just start reading books, and then read the books in the bibliography sections. it won't take you long to make a short list of authors/scientists who are on the leading-edge of the current research. visit http://www.physorg.com/ often and just start reading...

I would recommend Kip S Thorne's
Black Holes and Time Warps, Einsteins
Outrageous Legacy. No need of previous
knowledge in physics to understand it. I
read it when i was in junior high. Special
and general relativity theory is in it as well
as quantum physics etc. Modern physics
explained to everybody.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby Apache Dawn » Sat 01.20.2007 11:28 am

Stephen Hawking is great. I'm stuck in "God Created the Integers." I also like to read the few Faraday lectures I have in some old books from thrift shops. I might check out that Einstein one.
Last edited by Apache Dawn on Sat 01.20.2007 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apache Dawn

Postby goku8851 » Sat 01.20.2007 12:20 pm

I was wondering if zengargoyle has read the elegant universe by Brian Greene (or any of his other work). He is well known for giving lectures around the country about string theory. I'm still not sure if I will further follow any sort of degree in physics although I love it.
There are two great things about politics. One is the money and I forgot the other.
goku8851

Postby Chris Hart » Sat 01.20.2007 12:55 pm

goku8851 wrote:
I was wondering if zengargoyle has read the elegant universe by Brian Greene (or any of his other work). He is well known for giving lectures around the country about string theory. I'm still not sure if I will further follow any sort of degree in physics although I love it.

I'm thinking Zen needs to make a name of himself, and start doing that. There's some decent money to be made in lectures.
Last edited by Chris Hart on Sat 01.20.2007 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby guillaumexerces » Sat 01.20.2007 1:31 pm

Thanks for the suggestions (sp?) (:. I'm getting a degree in physics and computer engineering and hopefully Japanese some time. I'm noob at the subject by comparison to some of you guys but I hope to get some higher degrees and actaully do somthing with space or subatomic stuff that we can actually use. Wouldn't that be nice.

So could someone explain exactly what is meant by intelligence and information. I hear the tearm alot but what are those crazy theorists getting at.
guillaumexerces

Postby Hatori » Sun 01.21.2007 5:29 pm

guill- A new member.
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Axlen » Fri 01.26.2007 12:23 am

Hatori- Self promotional, yet humble too.
Axlen

Postby Hatori » Thu 07.12.2007 12:10 am

Axlen wrote:
Hatori- Self promotional, yet humble too.

Thanks.

Axlen- Makes me feel like starting up an old thread.
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Previous

Return to General off topic