Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Say something about the member above you.

Say something about the member above you.

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Say something about the member above you.

Postby Hatori » Tue 01.09.2007 11:09 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
You now officially have a Redeeming Characteristic.

And you say that because...?

Mike C.: His last name sounds like he would have a lot of money... lol.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 01.10.2007 6:11 am

Hatori wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:

There was a point to the Guadalcanal story, dear heart.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Hatori » Wed 01.10.2007 11:10 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
Hatori wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:

There was a point to the Guadalcanal story, dear heart.

Mike C.: Has much wisdom to spread to dumb blonde's like myself.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Rounin T » Thu 01.11.2007 11:54 am

^ ^ is a proud dumb Republican blonde. But she can be cute, too!
Rounin T

Postby goku8851 » Thu 01.11.2007 12:59 pm

Rounin (as well as Mike Cash) seem to be well educated in the field of political science but they cannot copmare to my skill physicist. In order for them to prove that they are worthy to be called fellow physicist they must solve this paradox.

Two astronauts, Mike and Rounin, start off next to each other in space. Each has a light and watch attached to their space suites. They each start to drift away from each other but when they meet up with each other they both say that their watch reads slower than the other. Who is right and justify your answer. Here is a hint: it has to do with Einstein’s relativity.

There is an answer to this paradox and I, being a physicist in training, know the answer to this. I will have great respect for anyone who can solve this paradox and will be happy to share the title of physicist.
There are two great things about politics. One is the money and I forgot the other.
goku8851

Postby tanuki » Thu 01.11.2007 1:03 pm

goku8851 seems to like showing off.
Last edited by tanuki on Thu 01.11.2007 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 01.11.2007 1:12 pm

All motion can be measured only in relation to the observer who performs the measurement. Time and position are all relative to the observer: hence the theory has been called Einstein’s relativity.

ergo, whichever of the two is the observer, will be correct.. or in otherwords they are both correct and both wrong.. depending on which is the observer and which is not.. B)

let me add this as well. they can both be correct in this matter. in fact one of them could have aged less and still be able to meet back in the same place they started. I would site the paradigm of the twins, but that would take up much place and time. needless to say, if one were to remain stationary and one were to travel 8 light years.. 20 years would pass for the stationary twin while only 12 would pass for the travelar.. and even in all this they would meet up in same time and place ..
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Thu 01.11.2007 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby Rounin T » Thu 01.11.2007 1:39 pm

Tanuki is easy to agree with.

goku8851 wrote:
Two astronauts, Mike and Rounin, start off next to each other in space. Each has a light and watch attached to their space suites. They each start to drift away from each other but when they meet up with each other they both say that their watch reads slower than the other. Who is right and justify your answer.

Whoever shows up late for the Great Reunion.

By the way, I deny any aptitude (beyond the average) for politics, physics, or drifting through space with a clock and a nitelite.
Rounin T

Postby paul_b » Thu 01.11.2007 2:02 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
if one were to remain stationary and one were to travel 8 light years.. 20 years would pass for the stationary twin while only 12 would pass for the travelar.. and even in all this they would meet up in same time and place ..

Dude, your maths sucks. That would only be the case if the one that travelled 8 light years did so at the speed of light.

Assuming that the travelling twin was travelling for the entire 20 years, further assuming that said twin's acceleration vector was always directly away or directly towards the origin point and that said acceleration was always at the same magnitude determine how much time passed for the travelling twin.

Show your workings.
paul_b

Postby Rounin T » Thu 01.11.2007 2:41 pm

paul_b wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
if one were to remain stationary and one were to travel 8 light years.. 20 years would pass for the stationary twin while only 12 would pass for the travelar.. and even in all this they would meet up in same time and place ..

Dude, your maths sucks. That would only be the case if the one that travelled 8 light years did so at the speed of light.
Show your workings.

It's true, they does sucks. We don't have lightspeed jetpacks on our spacesuits, remember? Just timekeeping apparatus.
Rounin T

Postby goku8851 » Thu 01.11.2007 2:57 pm

two_heads_talking seems to have a good understanding of the paradox but your math is off. Paul is correct in this matter. Time appears to slow down to the stationary person who is watching the person who is moving(by the way paul, acceleration is not a vector). The time difference is so small in daily life that it goes unnoticed. Only when you are working with an object that approch the speed of light, such as a muon, the time difference is that noticable.

I didn't realized you guys had such a notible understanding of physics. I thing Paul and two_heads_talking are worthy of being called my fellow physicist. Just curious to see if you guys have heard of the superstring theory.
There are two great things about politics. One is the money and I forgot the other.
goku8851

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 01.11.2007 2:58 pm

paul_b wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:

Assuming that the travelling twin was travelling for the entire 20 years, further assuming that said twin's acceleration vector was always directly away or directly towards the origin point and that said acceleration was always at the same magnitude determine how much time passed for the travelling twin.

Show your workings.

IT ASSUMES THE traveler was travelling at 80% of light speed. and this is the best place to see what i am talking about..

http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/timewarp.htm
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Thu 01.11.2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby tanuki » Thu 01.11.2007 3:02 pm

Just curious to see if you guys have heard of the superstring theory.

I have heard of the General Superstring Theory, commonly abbreviated as G-String.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Apollo » Thu 01.11.2007 3:09 pm

haha
MY SIG IMAGE WAS OVER 100 PIXELS HIGH AND THE ADMINS SMOTE IT WITH A HAMMER OF SMITING.
Apollo

Postby richvh » Thu 01.11.2007 3:13 pm

↑His sig picture is too tall (Forum standard is not more than 400x100)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic