Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A new season of American Idol... why?

A new season of American Idol... why?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

A new season of American Idol... why?

Postby goku8851 » Wed 01.17.2007 1:32 pm

I don't understand how this show has lasted this long. How many people out there have enough patience to watch this show and why? As for myself I would much rather watch Shawne Merriman ( or the Patriots ) do the lights out dance.
Last edited by goku8851 on Wed 01.17.2007 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are two great things about politics. One is the money and I forgot the other.
goku8851

RE: A new season of American Idol... why?

Postby mamba » Wed 01.17.2007 2:09 pm

Well for one, its funny. Especially when theres some pure Simon ownage.

What i want to know is, why are my favorite shows cancelled for some kind of sport where huge people run into other huge people that try to get the ball to the other side?

Or that kind of boring sport where you actually wait for the ball to come to you so you can hit it with this stick, how boring can you get. I dont understand how people out there have enough patients to watch this.

Obviously what im saying is that people have different tastes. And you havent said any you reasons for not liking the show. If you havent noticed that show is pretty amazing, i believe one of the contestants actually won a golden globe award for best supporting actress and cds of previous contestants have easily gone platinum.

American Idol is a tv show. But most importantly it is an audition. Opportunity usually just knocks once, but im glad American Idol opens that door many times.
mamba

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Wed 01.17.2007 3:19 pm

I know what you mean. I would love to be on American Idol, but I only watched the first season, and I can't even remember why.

I'm kind of a Kelly Clarkson fan, though, so I'm glad for the first season, but really, I don't even know who won the rest of the seasons, and I really don't care.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby goku8851 » Wed 01.17.2007 3:42 pm

To answer you question of why sports games beat out you favorite shows is because of the ratings that they bring. The million dollar question is why do they bring in ratings.

Sports have been a big part of culture no matter where or when you go,for example, the ancient Greeks and the olympics (I don't think it's a coincidence that the olympics are still around today and reality tv shows... American Idol... only last a few seasons). Sports bring a sense of pride and unity within one's society(nationalism). People associate baseball with being an American past time. I hope you can see the picture that I'm trying to paint here.

Now I'm not saying that music is not part of culture but it is quite the contrary. Music might a bigger part of culture than sports. But in the case of American Idol, there is no talent on that show (as Simon says to so many) so its not really music and rather tasteless. There is no sort of pride on the part of the participants or the audience. This is where sports separates the boys from the men because the athletes take pride in themselves (with the occasional display of unsportsmanlike behavior which is frowned upon and also punished).

So this is my answer for not watching American Idol and why I have a tendency to like sports.
There are two great things about politics. One is the money and I forgot the other.
goku8851

Postby randomperson » Wed 01.17.2007 3:46 pm

on the news last night they was showing how many veiwers watch the show and the first season had 15 million and last years season had 60million,
i dont see how the people even get picked, most of them can't sing, even the winner can't sing. but its a tv show, i
but ts for our enterianment, tho i dont understand how people like watching it.... i havent watched a full episode of american idol and dont tend to.
Last edited by randomperson on Wed 01.17.2007 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randomperson

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.17.2007 4:28 pm

goku8851 wrote:
I don't understand how this show has lasted this long. How many people out there have enough patients to watch this show and why? As for myself I would much rather watch Shawne Merriman ( or the Patriots ) do the lights out dance.

let me help you out here.
patient = a person who is under medical care or treatment.
patience = the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.

as for the lights out dance, i say watch it all day long. As a Broncos fan, I find it oh so Ironic that LT got offended when the Patriots mocked him after he mocked the Bronco's fans with the mile-high salute after his 3rd touchdown in their last game .. I suppose karma is a dish best served cold.. or you could look at it this way..l Martyball is still as it always was.. he sucks..

as to IDOL.. no one watches it except to see the morons who think they have a chance. and to see what kind of moron that simon will be this time around.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby goku8851 » Wed 01.17.2007 4:46 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
as for the lights out dance, i say watch it all day long. As a Broncos fan, I find it oh so Ironic that LT got offended when the Patriots mocked him after he mocked the Bronco's fans with the mile-high salute after his 3rd touchdown in their last game .. I suppose karma is a dish best served cold.. or you could look at it this way..l Martyball is still as it always was.. he sucks..

Thanks for the help with the typo and clearing things up for us. Do you think the chargers will fire Marty with his pathetic playoff record and his calls during the pats game which makes you question his intelligence. LT cracks me up calling the pats classless Ha ha ha.
Last edited by goku8851 on Wed 01.17.2007 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goku8851

Postby Dehitay » Wed 01.17.2007 4:51 pm

Is the lights out dance some kind of endzone dance or something? I've gotten a weird impression of it. I watch neither American Idol nor sports. Watching American Idol is like watching an audition (which is boring to me). Watching sports does nothing but make me want to go out and play which leads me to daydream about playing sports more than watching. Personally, I love comedy and can't get enough of it. I'm usually on Comedy Central all day long
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby Kdar » Wed 01.17.2007 6:13 pm

I don't watch that.... Pretty stupid..
Kdar

Postby Infidel » Wed 01.17.2007 6:24 pm

goku8851 wrote:
I don't understand how this show has lasted this long. How many people out there have enough patients to watch this show and why?

Hospitals. Lots of hospitals. People in hospitals will watch anything to take their mind off the food.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Wed 01.17.2007 6:41 pm

Thank God its not on here in japan. well at least my TV doesnt get it...
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby tanuki » Wed 01.17.2007 8:18 pm

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
Thank God its not on here in japan. well at least my TV doesnt get it...

Don't forget that in Japan, they have their "Lovely Idol". ;)
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby keatonatron » Wed 01.17.2007 11:56 pm

mamba wrote:
And you havent said any you reasons for not liking the show.

The music is boring, all the contestants are superficial, stuck-up whores who can't dedicate themselves to actually working for their own success. They all think they're hot stuff, and most can't handle it when told they aren't.

I don't think I've ever been able to sit through a single episode of that show. And I know I would end up acting just like Simon if I had to deal with those people!
keatonatron

Postby mamba » Thu 01.18.2007 3:30 am

keatonatron wrote:
The music is boring, all the contestants are superficial, stuck-up whores who can't dedicate themselves to actually working for their own success. They all think they're hot stuff, and most can't handle it when told they aren't.

ahh which is the highlight of the show, when Simon makes those people either super angry, or super depressed with his super awesome british insults.

after that i skip the rest and continue watching when they have 5 contestants left.
mamba

Postby keatonatron » Thu 01.18.2007 6:18 am

So... it's like watching a train wreck? You don't actually like the show, but you can't walk away?
keatonatron

Next

Return to General off topic