Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is this a premonition? I hope not.

Is this a premonition? I hope not.

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Is this a premonition? I hope not.

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.24.2007 11:12 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
Hatori wrote:
But war is discusting and we already have enough of it in Iraq... We don't need another fight.

would you look at this. someone from the right says something that makes sense.

just because someone is on the right or left doesn't mean they want war.. in fact to think that is idiotic and very very short sighted.

even having served in the military, I didn't want to ever have to use my weapon in a hostile manner. this right and left BS is just another case of people pushing people into nice cozy corners so they can be easily labeled and identified so that others can easily identify who they should hate or like before they have ever met them.

Freud was a quake, but pigeon holing someone like that is moronic.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby hyperconjugated » Wed 01.24.2007 12:20 pm

Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby paul_b » Wed 01.24.2007 12:54 pm

Dehitay wrote:
.....care to guess where that comes from?

If it involves the phrase "Hot Grandma Action!" I really don't want to know.
paul_b

Postby angstycoder » Wed 01.24.2007 12:55 pm

Hatori wrote:
angstycoder wrote:
I actually have dreams where I'm speaking German and French with people all the time. I wake up with vocabulary I never knew I had, but if I don't write it down right away, it's gone. Must be stuff my subconscious ate and I never really could use in conversation.

I agree that Freud was a bit ... strange

Are you sure it's French or German?? I thought people could only have dreams like that that they are speaking in other languages they know. I've had a dream that I've been to Japan, but it could've been somewhere else because I don't know all of the right sentence format, kanji, and vocabulary. I'm just assuming it's Japan unless my dream has somebody read or say something that it's a certain country.

Positive. I also have dreams in languages I don't recognize at all.
angstycoder: "指の臨死体験"
kagemaru: ? ? ?
angstycoder: "I meant finger has near death experience"
kagemaru "doesn't work. You said 'Finger of near death experience'"
angstycoder: "Did I mention I don't know grammar?"
angstycoder

Postby ComradeJoe » Wed 01.24.2007 1:10 pm

I remember having a weird dream a few weeks ago. I was sitting at a table in a dim-lit room with 4 other guys, playing poker. The guy directly in front of me said どうした? and I remember replying "oh, nothing, it's just that these cards..." in romanian. Then the guy on my right said "Los mal, wir verplempern Zeit!", to which the guy on my left replied something in an unknown language with an eerie voice. And for the record, no, neither one of us was in any way dog-like.
Last edited by ComradeJoe on Wed 01.24.2007 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
私の下手な日本語を許してください。
ComradeJoe

Postby leergierig » Wed 01.24.2007 1:44 pm

I'm so glad not all dreams are premonitions. Honestly, I can only die once. Has anybody else had a dream where they died? According to some people, you can't have a dream about your own death and survive it, but I've had about four thus far.

The first dream was the weirdest. In my dream, we were attacked be aliens (yeah, grow up, I know) and they had these terribly menacing gamma ray guns. In my dream I got hit. It was so real. I could feel my flesh being scorched.

Now the weird part. Just prior to my instant cremation, my perspective shifted. I saw myself die through the eyes of my sister. I remember feeling this intense sadness as I saw myself collapse. I woke up soon after - crying :o

I would love to know what Freud would have made of this one... ;)
leergierig

Postby ComradeJoe » Wed 01.24.2007 2:02 pm

Hmm, so far I died shot in the stomach, stabbed in the back, drowned, crushed after falling-off a cliff...
Last edited by ComradeJoe on Wed 01.24.2007 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
私の下手な日本語を許してください。
ComradeJoe

Postby angstycoder » Wed 01.24.2007 2:15 pm

leergierig wrote:
I'm so glad not all dreams are premonitions. Honestly, I can only die once. Has anybody else had a dream where they died? According to some people, you can't have a dream about your own death and survive it, but I've had about four thus far.

The first dream was the weirdest. In my dream, we were attacked be aliens (yeah, grow up, I know) and they had these terribly menacing gamma ray guns. In my dream I got hit. It was so real. I could feel my flesh being scorched.

Now the weird part. Just prior to my instant cremation, my perspective shifted. I saw myself die through the eyes of my sister. I remember feeling this intense sadness as I saw myself collapse. I woke up soon after - crying :o

I would love to know what Freud would have made of this one... ;)

Shot, stabbed, poisoned, electrocuted, falling death, squashing death... I die at least once a month in my dreams.

As a troubled youth I also purposefully OD'd on sedatives and technically died for a while, and that didn't kill me permanently either. Bunk I say!

Well, not exactly. I can see it in people with high blood preassure and/or heart conditions. People do have galvetic and other responses to the stimuli in their dreams. If not for the brain shutting off connection to movement centers, we'd act them out, too.

Edited because 'permanently' is important in this context.
Last edited by angstycoder on Wed 01.24.2007 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angstycoder: "指の臨死体験"
kagemaru: ? ? ?
angstycoder: "I meant finger has near death experience"
kagemaru "doesn't work. You said 'Finger of near death experience'"
angstycoder: "Did I mention I don't know grammar?"
angstycoder

Postby neo2407 » Wed 01.24.2007 2:50 pm

Now here's a new question, has anyone ever had a lucid dream? A dream were you realize your dreaming and can control the dream.
I have, but only once. I was falling after a few minutes, it felt like I hit something (but I was still falling) and I felt my real body jump, then I thought "Woah! What was that?...Wait a second I'm asleep." then I thought about landing and I did, then I woke myself up.

I usually have the ability to wake myself up from nightmares, I'm not sure how I do it but it comes in handy when it starts to get to scary.
Wii Friend Code: 0386 9779 0910 4312
Animal Crossing: Wild World Friend Code: 4381-7315-3908
neo2407

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.24.2007 3:11 pm

leergierig wrote:
I'm so glad not all dreams are premonitions. Honestly, I can only die once. Has anybody else had a dream where they died? According to some people, you can't have a dream about your own death and survive it, but I've had about four thus far.;)

supposedly the shock of seeing yourself dead is enough to stop your heart.

it's not very common and quite frankly the only way to prove it would be to test people and see if they die when it happens, so, as you can see, probably won't be any definative studies or results for a long time.

@ neo, there is already a thread on lucid dreaming.. do a search..
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Wed 01.24.2007 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby ComradeJoe » Wed 01.24.2007 3:16 pm

has anyone ever had a lucid dream?

I've been having those for years, but the only control I usually exhibited over the dreams was being able to wake-up any time I wanted. It is only recently that I started attempting to control my lucid dreams (but usually succeed only partially).
私の下手な日本語を許してください。
ComradeJoe

Postby Obsessed_Saru » Wed 01.24.2007 5:31 pm

I have really weird dreams as well like,
Meeting people from Video Games, TV shows AND Anime.
Going out in public with no shoes on (my version of the "naked in public" dream, which I've never had).
People from animes speaking in English BUT with their Japanese voices (I once had Kaji and Asuka from NGE in my dream talking like that).
Going out on a date with a girl and never seeing her face (more annoying than you would think).
Strange things happening to me, like being bounced around like a pinball (it starts slow then gets faster and faster and faster...one of my worst nightmares, doesn't sound scary but it is).
Being chased by a large dark mass, and thinking I've woken up...but then the dark mass appears again.

How can you people have such interesting dreams? All mine are boring. The most interesting dream I think I've ever had was where I was walking around my elementary school at night...maybe I use up all my imagination during my waking hours...
:|
Obsessed_Saru

Postby punkgrl326 » Wed 01.24.2007 7:50 pm

I really don't think China can take over. Especially seeing how weak they are compared to us.

Last night I dreamed I worked for the CIA and there was a huge invasion of vampires. In order to learn about their plans for world domination I was chosen to purposely get bit by one and become one of them so I could infiltrate their territory and find out their plot for world domination. When I finally became a one I ended up siding with the other vampires and taking over the world. Then I woke up. How's that for an interesting dream? B)
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby HeyItsMatt » Thu 01.25.2007 1:19 am

I doubt that China would attack the United States, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if they end up rivaling or dominating the U.S. as a world power. For various reasons that I won't get into (some are fairly partisan), I get this feeling the United States might not be able to keep itself going much longer as the leading world power economically or politically. Our national debt is huge, for instance, and apparently we rely a lot on foreign investment, which I've heard has been dwindling in the last few years (correct me if I'm wrong through, I'm no economics major).

I don't think Europe/the EU is a contender for world leader since they seem to have major unemployment and welfare state issues. That mostly leaves China, India, and east asian countries, which all seem to be having major economic booms. China's population size alone puts them in a league of their own economically.

Oh and as for weird dreams, I had a dream once where I was disembodied and floating around in a dungeon, and I found a kilted scottish guy and Satan wrestling each other. The scottish guy got Satan in a headlock, yelled out "for Scotland!!" and gouged at Satan's eye with his thumb. Yeah, beat that for weird :-p
HeyItsMatt

Postby Kdar » Thu 01.25.2007 2:03 am

HeyItsMatt wrote:
Oh and as for weird dreams, I had a dream once where I was disembodied and floating around in a dungeon, and I found a kilted scottish guy and Satan wrestling each other. The scottish guy got Satan in a headlock, yelled out "for Scotland!!" and gouged at Satan's eye with his thumb. Yeah, beat that for weird :-p

Was his name William Wallace? lol BraveHeart... hahha
Kdar

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic