Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JASRAC is such...

JASRAC is such...

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

JASRAC is such...

Postby coco » Tue 01.23.2007 12:43 pm

A 73 years old restaurant owner was indicted as committing copyright infringement by JASRAC. Since he didn't pay the copyright fees to JASRAC about 70,000 US$, he was arrested on November 2006.

Tokyo district court gave a sentence of ten months in prison with a stay of execution for three years.

What do you think he did?
In his restaurant, he had let his employees(music college students) play songs by The Beatles on the piano, by customer's requests.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/news/20070123i401.htm
http://news.braina.com/2007/0123/enter_20070123_002____.html
http://www.jasrac.or.jp/release/07/01_2.html

related thread YouTube vs copyright

[Links activated -Paul]

--
edit: Keo,Thank you for the correction.
Last edited by coco on Wed 01.24.2007 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

RE: JASRAC is such...

Postby angstycoder » Tue 01.23.2007 12:52 pm

... wow
angstycoder: "指の臨死体験"
kagemaru: ? ? ?
angstycoder: "I meant finger has near death experience"
kagemaru "doesn't work. You said 'Finger of near death experience'"
angstycoder: "Did I mention I don't know grammar?"
angstycoder

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 01.23.2007 8:12 pm

Hmmm.. Maybe I should stop downloading my copies of Heroes from BitTorrent. ;)

I swear, the music and film industry is just going insane with legislation.

The (I believe AMC) theatres here have this huge anti-piracy video before each movie that they show. It's really loud, and has a woman crying black oil tears or something like that. Then at the end her face fades away to this giant freaking grinning skull and says "海賊版撲滅キャンペイン"

I hate them, but I can deal with them, because I'm an adult. However, I went to go see Chicken Little with my neice... That damn skull comes up and every single child in the theatre starts bawling. For 10 minutes... :@
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby keatonatron » Wed 01.24.2007 3:19 am

私は観ない。
私は買わない。

They've shown it at every theatre I've gone to. :@ It seems like they're preaching to the choir; the people at the movie theatre are doing the right thing and paying to see movies. The ad would be put to better use on bit torrent sites! :p
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 01.24.2007 4:27 am

Have you heard about that "You wouldn't steal a car" thing that they put on the front of DVDs in the states now? I never knew about it because all my american movies are either rented in Japan, or bought from Thailand. ;)

It seems like these anti-piracy slogans and stuff are only annoying the people who pay for their media.

There was a quote by some MPAA guy or some such who was talking about how you can detect pirated movies. He said they were:
1) Cheaper
2) Lacked DRM
3) Played in all regions
4) No piracy messages
5) Were often released while the movie was still in the theatres.

I'm sold! :D
Harisenbon

Postby keatonatron » Wed 01.24.2007 8:11 am

Harisenbon wrote:
Have you heard about that "You wouldn't steal a car" thing that they put on the front of DVDs in the states now?

I've seen it! It is on a few DVD's available for rent in Japan.

No, I wouldn't steal a car. Likewise, I wouldn't steal a DVD, or steal the movie-theatre experience by sneaking into a theatre without paying. I would, however, take the car for a few test drives and just not buy it. Especially if the car were available for test-drive over the internet.

OR, I would just buy a cheaper, stripped-down version of the car from Thailand. ;)
keatonatron

Postby friendly_fire » Wed 01.24.2007 10:09 am

Harisenbon wrote:

The (I believe AMC) theatres here have this huge anti-piracy video before each movie that they show. It's really loud, and has a woman crying black oil tears or something like that. Then at the end her face fades away to this giant freaking grinning skull and says "海賊版撲滅キャンペイン"

I was at the cinema last week and they've changed it. They've got a new one now, lot's of illustrations: people selling pirate dvds, downloading from the net, etc.
friendly_fire

Postby paul_b » Wed 01.24.2007 10:32 am

friendly_fire wrote:
I was at the cinema last week and they've changed it. They've got a new one now, lot's of illustrations: people selling pirate dvds, downloading from the net, etc.

Ah. It's a "How to" movie. :D
paul_b

Postby tanuki » Wed 01.24.2007 1:45 pm

JASRAC is such...

It would have been so cool if you had finished that sentence. ;)

Anyway, I would probably never buy an original DVD. Wait, I think I can't even buy an original DVD here.

As for the original question, I think that's outrageous.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 01.24.2007 11:06 pm

paul_b wrote:
friendly_fire wrote:

Ah. It's a "How to" movie. :D

You know, my company makes me pay for all the monitors I destroy by spewing coffee onto them. :D
Harisenbon

Postby chchan45 » Fri 01.26.2007 9:04 pm

A 73 years old restaurant owner was indicted as committing copyright infringement by JASRAC. Since he didn't pay the copyright fees to JASRAC about 70,000 US$, he was arrested on November 2006.

Tokyo district court gave a sentence of ten months in prison with a stay of execution for three years.

What do you think he did?
In his restaurant, he had let his employees(music college students) play songs by The Beatles on the piano, by customer's requests.

This is the law gone mad! It will kill off live music and live concerts if everybody has to apply for a licence and pay the record companies. Soon you may have to pay the copyright fees if you are playing the piano at home with your window open (because passers-by can hear it).

I guess every country has its stupid laws, like in the UK you are not allowed to post mugshots of escaped criminals because it breaches their human rights.
Reading 李香蘭 私の半生

Please note that:
1. English is not my first language.
2. I am not Japanese. I am prone to making mistakes so please point them out if you see any.
chchan45

Postby Son of Sparda » Wed 02.07.2007 11:03 pm

That is absolutely disgusting. He should not have been given a prison sentence, and I'm not sure if he should have even been found guilty at all. I'm sure the laws are different in Japan, but this is unethical. I don't know what his business was like, but I think most of it was because of the food, not the music. He should have at least been given a warning.

I'm going to try to contact the remaining Beatles about this. They may or may not care, but someone should try, he probably can't himself. If one of them desides to back this man, his sentence might be reduced. I hope that some people in Japan protested for him.
Currently playing: GTA Vice City
Son of Sparda

Postby zengargoyle » Thu 02.08.2007 1:24 am

forget about contacting The Beatles. Michael Jackson and Sony own most of the copyrights for the Beatles' songs (excepting a few).

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20031210.html

send your letter to Michael Jackson and/or Sony... (good luck with that).
zengargoyle

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 02.08.2007 11:58 am

the sad thing the spirit of the law is always superceeded by some crack hack lawyer that decides to bend, break, fix or otherwise get everything he can for his client.

The problem with law is the ability of anyone to misinterpret what was originally decided upon. Take for example, something simple like a burglar entering your home, falling down your stairs, breaking their back and then sueing you for their accident as it happened on your property. Now, there is no way in hell that should happen, but it has happened at least a dozen times now..

As long as there are unscrupulous people working in organizations there will be unscrupulous laws.

Besides, Michael Jackson is so far in debt that it wouldn't surprise me to see him stoop to this level anyways..

I remember a program I watched where he was walking through a display room of antiques and pointing out everything he owned in the room.. Then you realize, if he owned it why is it still there? Well, he was making installment payments and until it was payed off, technically he owns nothing.. lol..
two_heads_talking

Postby tanuki » Thu 02.08.2007 1:27 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Take for example, something simple like a burglar entering your home, falling down your stairs, breaking their back and then sueing you for their accident as it happened on your property.

Only in the USA. :|
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Next

Return to General off topic