Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JASRAC is such...

JASRAC is such...

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: JASRAC is such...

Postby Dehitay » Thu 02.08.2007 3:24 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Take for example, something simple like a burglar entering your home, falling down your stairs, breaking their back and then sueing you for their accident as it happened on your property.

The irony is if you kill the burglar in that situation, you can easily get away with it.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby AJBryant » Thu 02.08.2007 3:46 pm

I remember hearing a Florida lawman once tell a friend, "if you ever see someone breaking in through a window, go ahead and shoot him dead -- but if he starts to fall out the window, pull him back in."

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Tajoumaru » Thu 02.08.2007 4:17 pm

AJBryant wrote:
I remember hearing a Florida lawman once tell a friend, "if you ever see someone breaking in through a window, go ahead and shoot him dead -- but if he starts to fall out the window, pull him back in."

That begs the question, What if you shoot him and he falls out the window but survives?
Tajoumaru

Postby Infidel » Thu 02.08.2007 5:34 pm

shoot him again.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby chchan45 » Thu 02.08.2007 5:42 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Take for example, something simple like a burglar entering your home, falling down your stairs, breaking their back and then sueing you for their accident as it happened on your property. Now, there is no way in hell that should happen, but it has happened at least a dozen times now..

We are straying from the topic now but this is incredible. I thought that cases like this only happen in the UK. I remember reading a story about a family who has been burgled numerous times. They put barbed wire on top of their fence to stop any intruders, and believe it or not, the police told them to take it down because (allegedly) according the European human rights law, a burgler who is injured by the barbed wire can sue them.

My understanding is that in the US, if anybody tries to break into your house, you are entitled to take your gun and shoot him dead. That is why burglary is much less common than in the UK.
Reading 李香蘭 私の半生

Please note that:
1. English is not my first language.
2. I am not Japanese. I am prone to making mistakes so please point them out if you see any.
chchan45

Postby richvh » Thu 02.08.2007 5:46 pm

chchan45 wrote:
My understanding is that in the US, if anybody tries to break into your house, you are entitled to take your gun and shoot him dead. That is why burglary is much less common than in the UK.

That very much depends on the state; most crimes are covered by state, not federal, law.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 02.08.2007 6:00 pm

@chchan45 it's hard to say what most Americans would do. Some don't believe in owning firearms. Some are too scared to do anything if they were robbed. Some are afraid that they would be sued by the burglar.

Now, if you shoot someone and kill them and they are inside the house, you are fine, in many states. however, if they fall outside the house, it's a can-o-worms. G. Gordon Liddy used to tell the story that if anyone came into his house to rob him, His wife would shoot them where they were and if necessary, he would drag them back inside the door.

However, Richvh is correct, each state has laws that cover this and they are as varied and different as the states themselves.
two_heads_talking

Postby coco » Sat 02.10.2007 1:32 am

chchan45 wrote:
This is the law gone mad! It will kill off live music and live concerts if everybody has to apply for a licence and pay the record companies.

Son of Sparda wrote:
I hope that some people in Japan protested for him.

Thank you for your comments.
Yes. Of course some owners of clubs which provide live performance, or coffee shops (which play jazz albums/CDs) protested against JASRAC. Some people try to make people know how JASRAC will spoil Japanese music culture.

At the same time, some of them negotiate with JASRAC about alteration (?) of the license fee, both of "live entertainment" and "mechanical music". They insist a license fee should be reasonable and clear. They say they will gladly agree to pay it if the fee was cut down to ASCAP/BMI’s rate.

(I'm sorry for my poor English.)
Last edited by coco on Sat 02.10.2007 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Previous

Return to General off topic