Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Axis and Allies

Axis and Allies

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Axis and Allies

Postby Seapony » Thu 04.05.2007 3:55 am

WOW. Reading this thread was something else. I almost imagined the Big Three and the Axis powers having similar conversations, hahaha.

Adolf, petitioning for allies: "Glory and domination not blow your hair back, Mussolini?"

Or one of the powers bemoaning: "now I know that you can't move airplanes to a territory you conquered that turn, nor build an industrial complex there! this ruined my africa invasion plan"

Yep, I can see it all now.

:D
Seapony

Postby keatonatron » Thu 04.05.2007 5:06 am

Germany: "This war thing is harder than I expected. You have to play a few times before you get good enough to take over the world."

I have another idea: Now that we are getting used to each other's playing styles, what if I masked the names so we didn't know who was who?
Last edited by keatonatron on Thu 04.05.2007 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Native language: English

RE: RE: Axis and Allies

Postby Valatunda » Thu 04.05.2007 6:48 am

Wow, I have a game named after me.

Maybe it will become the greatest Axis and Allies game ever played.

keatonatron wrote:
I was thinking... if we got enough people involved, It'd be fun to split everyone into 2-person teams and do a 2 vs 2 ladder tournament.

What do you mean exactly? That several games are made, each with one person the Axis and the other the Allies and then the winner of their game has to fight a winner of another game? Or is it something else?

Also, maybe the next Member Poll could be Axis and Allies based. That might encourage a few.
Valatunda

Native language: 英語

Postby Hark » Thu 04.05.2007 7:14 am

keatonatron wrote:
I have another idea: Now that we are getting used to each other's playing styles, what if I masked the names so we didn't know who was who?

That's a pretty good idea. Only problem is with chatboxes. It could be fun if we don't know who exactly plays for which opposing country. But using team chatbox is necessary.
Hark

Native language: Slovenčina (Slovak)

Postby keatonatron » Thu 04.05.2007 7:52 am

Valatunda wrote:
What do you mean exactly? That several games are made, each with one person the Axis and the other the Allies and then the winner of their game has to fight a winner of another game? Or is it something else?

The game can be played with 2, 3, 4, or 5 players. If we did 5-person games in a tournament, then the teams wouldn't be even (i.e. one team as allies would have 3 players one round, then if they were axis the next round there would be an extra person). And 1 on 1 games aren't as much fun, so I was talking about 4-person games. You would be assigned one person to be your teammate throughout the tournament. You would play another 2-person team, and the winning team advances to play other winning teams.

For a 4-person team, the person who controls USA and Russia are the same.

Hark wrote:
That's a pretty good idea. Only problem is with chatboxes. It could be fun if we don't know who exactly plays for which opposing country. But using team chatbox is necessary.

We could encourage people to keep their messages as short as possible so as not to give away their identity.
keatonatron

Postby Valatunda » Fri 04.13.2007 12:39 pm

So what did everyone involved think of my performance?

The Axis might like to know that I was the one who came up with the idea to take over Germany.

Although I do not think I expressed my concerns at the time. But I was concerned that Germany would keep building up its units and that the attempt to regain the United Kingdom would have been futile.

Anyway, is there any chance of another game please?
Valatunda

Native language: 英語

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 04.13.2007 1:11 pm

Oh, this is an ongoing event....just give Keatonatron a day or two to set up the next game(s). I think the pace of this thing has helped us all have to learn a bit about patience. Certainly gives me something to look forward to, at any rate.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Kagemaru » Fri 04.13.2007 6:08 pm

I would like to be in again please.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby keatonatron » Sat 04.14.2007 1:59 am

I am still without internet at my new place, so I can't check in as much as I used to. I should be getting internet on Monday, though, so you don't have to wait too long.
keatonatron

Postby Takeo Saeki » Sat 04.14.2007 2:04 am

I wouldn't mind giving this a try. I've never played any online multiplayer games before, so I have a feeling i'd get a good old-fashioned ass-whooping, but it would be fun to try the game. I love these conquer-the-world/war games.

Before I officially volunteer, I have one question. When I followed keatonatron's link, and I tried the "preview" practice game thing, I assumed i'd be playing against the computer. But, basically it would only let me play against myself. : / I'd take a turn as the USSR, and then I would be Germany, then the UK, and so forth. Lame. How can I change that so I could be one country playing against the computer in the practice game?
Takeo Saeki

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 04.14.2007 7:15 am

I take it you would want to play USSR every time?
Mike Cash

Postby Hark » Sat 04.14.2007 8:56 am

Communism Is The Future,

I respect your freedom of conviction, but I found your avatar/nick offensive. It associates with regime that sent millions of its own citizens to death in labor camps, persecutated people because of their religion, political conviction and generally supressed their human rights.

People usually tend to be more apathetic to the extreme left than to the extreme right. But that doesn't mean, that some sort of extremism is more acceptable than others. I'm sure you'd not accept some user to have (nazi) swastika as his/her avatar.

Although there are no rules for political issues in profile cattegories, I found no difference between forum post promoting political party/ideology and profile promoting the same. I'm asking you, could you please change your nick/avatar, please?

Thank you

Note: I'm not using PM because I mean this as an open letter. I'm sure you'll read this next time you log in.
Hark

Native language: Slovenčina (Slovak)

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 04.14.2007 10:06 am

I'll be a little more blunt and say I have no respect whatsoever for his asinine netnym and avatar and regard them with disdain and contempt.
Mike Cash

Postby Dehitay » Sat 04.14.2007 10:36 am

come on guys. Being a rebel is cool. Rap music tells me so
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby Takeo Saeki » Sat 04.14.2007 1:07 pm

To Hark:

Communism doesn't have to be as extreme as the USSR was. I'm an advocate of a tamer form of Communism. I don't like the USSR so much. But I do think it could have been much better if Lenin hadn't died so soon and Stalin wasn't put at the top. Shortly before he died, Lenin wrote that Stalin should not replace him, and instead should be immedately removed from the Communist Party because he felt he was too cruel. But because the morons in charge were more afraid of Trotsky, the alternative, they made the worst mistake of the 20th century and put Stalin on top. I hate Stalin more than any other figure in world history, and i'm not an advocate of his extreme, twisted, fake form of Communism. The Soviet Union never really recovered even after Stalin died, and i'm glad they finally collapsed. There's no need for torture camps in Communism. That's just how it turned out, because the wrong people ended up on top. Just because i'm a communist doesn't mean I support evil regimes that use torture.

I'm sure you'd not accept some user to have (nazi) swastika as his/her avatar.

I would look at it with severe distaste, yes. But I would also respect the person's right to choose their political preferences. However, the Nazi swastika symbolizes something quite different from the Communist sickle and hammer. The sickle and hammer symbolizes the unity of the industrial working class and agricultural workers. Much tamer than the swastika. The Nazi swastika basically just symbolizes racism and anti-semitism. The wrong people ended up using the sickle and hammer symbol, but that doesn't take away its original meaning. The sickle and hammer doesn't symbolize the torture and oppression the Soviet people suffered. People associate it with that, but that's not what it symbolizes. The Nazi symbol just symbolizes hatred. Two different things.

That's all i'm gonna say, because i'd rather not get the thread locked for getting a political debate going. I just wanted to make it clear that i'm not an advocate of that country's extreme policies. If you guys want to keep going on with this, then fine, but I won't reply.
Last edited by Takeo Saeki on Sat 04.14.2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Takeo Saeki

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic