Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - John Mayers Speaks JP

John Mayers Speaks JP

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

John Mayers Speaks JP

Postby KINGZ » Wed 02.14.2007 5:01 pm

KINGZ

RE: John Mayers Speaks JP

Postby PandanoTake » Wed 02.14.2007 7:39 pm

Isn't it Mayer?
エド より
PandanoTake

Postby Ezrach » Wed 02.14.2007 8:55 pm

That was some pretty bad pronunciation. For a person whose job is to create sound for a living, he sure doesn't do a good job of it.

By the way, Edward Norton speaks Japanese, too, and much better than John Mayer.

http://www.edward-norton.org/video/japanclip.html
Ezrach

Postby flammable hippo » Wed 02.14.2007 9:01 pm

Wow...his pronounciation is really bad and he stutters a lot. It's like that classic foreign accent that I keep on hearing about.

Btw, what was the word he said right after 一緒に and before 最高?It sounded like he said iranete or something to that extent.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

Postby Sumi » Wed 02.14.2007 10:51 pm

Ah, that made my ears hurt. Not to be mean - I'm not really a Mayer fan. But Norton sounds better to my ears. But it was funny.
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Postby furin » Thu 02.15.2007 1:30 am

Btw, what was the word he said right after 一緒に and before 最高?It sounded like he said iranete or something to that extent.

He said:

ジェシカはとても素敵な女性で、一緒にいられて最高です。
ジェシカは とても すてきな じょせいで、いっしょに いられて さいこうです。
Jessica is a wonderful woman so I'm very happy to be with her.(makes sense?)

一緒にいられて = 一緒にいることが できて

:D
furin

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Thu 02.15.2007 2:11 am

You know, it would be kind of funny if he meant to say something like '一緒にいたら、嬉しいですけど、一緒にいないです。' (If that makes sense... I wanted to say like, 'if we were together I would be happy, but we're not.')
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby KINGZ » Thu 02.15.2007 10:55 am

I'm not much of a Mayer fan, he stutters allot, and it’s hard to understand him. but you got to give him credit for trying, hell I'm Much worse. :D
Last edited by KINGZ on Thu 02.15.2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KINGZ

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 02.15.2007 11:16 am

Who the hell is John Mayer?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 02.15.2007 11:50 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mayer

he is the lead singer..

here is a bit of a blurb about him.. it's a mix of eclectic jazz, and acoustic folk ..

Mayer's first album had been a decidedly acoustic effort; in contrast, Room for Squares featured a full electric band and showed the work of its producer with its funky hooks and an emphasis placed on Mayer's versatile, smooth voice, which bore more than just a stylistic resemblance to Dave Matthews. Columbia re-released Room for Squares in the summer of 2001, adding one bonus track, and also offered a very limited-edition two-CD set including a disc with two previously unreleased covers. Mayer's dedicated fan base grew substantially larger during his first cross-country tour to support the album, spawning a number of CD-R trading outlets through fan websites, as well as a successful live album, Any Given Thursday. Mayer's lucrative follow-up, 2004's Heavier Things, resulted in another Grammy, this time for Song of the Year. Looking to strip his sound down, he formed the John Mayer Trio with drummer Steve Jordan and bassist Pino Palladino. Their sold-out tour was documented on the 2005 release Try! John Mayer Trio Live in Concert. Continuum arrived the following year. ~ Stacia

@ ezrach, there was a very popular country singer in the 70's by the name of mel Tillis who stuttered when he talked and it was an extreme stutter too. but his singing voice was perfect for the music he sang. In fact you would never have known he stuttered to hear him sing. Stuttering has nothing to do with how well one can "make sound" your comment is obscene and ignorant.
two_heads_talking

Postby tanuki » Thu 02.15.2007 12:44 pm

I only knew him because of "Your Body is a Wonderland".

Is he learning Japanese or did he learn just to say those words?
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby KINGZ » Thu 02.15.2007 2:44 pm

I dont think he learned just to say that phrase. He was taking the time to find the words in his head and to pronounce them. ie the stuttering ;)
KINGZ

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 02.15.2007 2:54 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mayer

he is the lead singer..

here is a bit of a blurb about him.. it's a mix of eclectic jazz, and acoustic folk ..

Mayer's first album had been a decidedly acoustic effort; in contrast, Room for Squares featured a full electric band and showed the work of its producer with its funky hooks and an emphasis placed on Mayer's versatile, smooth voice, which bore more than just a stylistic resemblance to Dave Matthews. Columbia re-released Room for Squares in the summer of 2001, adding one bonus track, and also offered a very limited-edition two-CD set including a disc with two previously unreleased covers. Mayer's dedicated fan base grew substantially larger during his first cross-country tour to support the album, spawning a number of CD-R trading outlets through fan websites, as well as a successful live album, Any Given Thursday. Mayer's lucrative follow-up, 2004's Heavier Things, resulted in another Grammy, this time for Song of the Year. Looking to strip his sound down, he formed the John Mayer Trio with drummer Steve Jordan and bassist Pino Palladino. Their sold-out tour was documented on the 2005 release Try! John Mayer Trio Live in Concert. Continuum arrived the following year. ~ Stacia

@ ezrach, there was a very popular country singer in the 70's by the name of mel Tillis who stuttered when he talked and it was an extreme stutter too. but his singing voice was perfect for the music he sang. In fact you would never have known he stuttered to hear him sing. Stuttering has nothing to do with how well one can "make sound" your comment is obscene and ignorant.

Thanks for that.

There are people who think that Mel Tillis' stuttering was some sort of hokey put-on. There was a man in my hometown who served in the military with Mel prior to Mel achieving success, and he assured me the stuttering problem was genuine. He said Mel stuttered like hell until he picked up his guitar and started singing. Hoyt Axton used to tell a story of Mel and Roger Miller working a roadshow with Minnie Pearl. Mel and Roger were sharing a room. Roger, being hopped up or drunk as usual, was dead to world but Mel woke up when he noticed an intruder in their room gathering up their stuff and making off with it. He woke up Roger and tried to tell him they were being robbed, but was so flustered by the situation that his stutter was even worse than usual. Finally he just sang, "Get up Roger, there's a man going out the window with our clothes."
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 02.15.2007 4:27 pm

You are quite welcome.

As a child, I used to watch all the TV shows my parents liked and my parents being very much into country and country western music, I was bombarded with Mel Tillis and Johnny Cash, Marty Robins, Elvis, and quite a few other stars whose names escape my age addled brain. I remember an event where Mel Tillis was introducing the Smother's Brothers and it took him nearly 5 mins to get out the intro.. (one that would have normally taken no more than 30 secs.. ) However, when he would pick up a guitar, as you mentioned, he could sing like nothing else.

As for disabilities, it seems I grew up around many friends who had them. Whether they were blind, deaf, or speech impaired, I had many friends that fell into those categories. It made we really appreciate them and their struggles. At first I was scared, as I didn't know how to react, or how to act. I remember my blind friend could always tell when I showed up, because of the sound of my footsteps, that always made me laugh. I could never sneak up on him..
two_heads_talking

Postby flammable hippo » Thu 02.15.2007 7:51 pm

furin wrote:

He said:

ジェシカはとても素敵な女性で、一緒にいられて最高です。
ジェシカは とても すてきな じょせいで、いっしょに いられて さいこうです。
Jessica is a wonderful woman so I'm very happy to be with her.(makes sense?)

一緒にいられて = 一緒にいることが できて

:D

Thanks for the help. I knew what he said, it was just that I couldn't hear clearly just that one word. It can be sort of difficult when the person speaking stops to think every 3 or so syllables and puts too much stress in the wrong spots ne. :D
Last edited by flammable hippo on Thu 02.15.2007 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Next

Return to General off topic