Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Linux version advice

Linux version advice

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Linux version advice

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 03.02.2007 1:16 pm

zengargoyle wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
I just avoid Linux and everything works out..

lol, i think just the opposite... anytime i try to use Winblowz (or even help Winbloze using people..) i end up wanting to bash my head into a wall.

oh I get that with any operating system.. well any system but UNIX that is the only operating system that never game me issues..

microdoosh and all the unix wannabees just don't cut it.. however, running a unix based system in the present just isn't worthwhile either.. and if you don't know shell, then it takes forever just to get it all running..

I just wish someone would bust up the microsoft empire as bill gates has become the pathetic, lazy, no good IBM empire that he once toppled.. We need a new Bill Gates to come along and bust him in the knees.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Fri 03.02.2007 2:22 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
I just wish someone would bust up the microsoft empire as bill gates has become the pathetic, lazy, no good IBM empire that he once toppled..

But then you'd have no choice but to use linux.

Or mac.
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 03.02.2007 2:32 pm

NOT necessarily, there are a few up shoot companies that could push if they cared to.. and honestly if mac could do something besides their all in one craputer, they could as well.

Mac would be the group that could take microsoft down.. but I am sure they are happy with their share of the leavins'.. and won't attempt it..
two_heads_talking

Postby queshaw » Fri 03.02.2007 3:07 pm

I have a mac because I have a hard time functioning without Unix, and I wanted a laptop and didn't want to have to switch back and forth between unix and windows, and was unhappy with unix emulation under windows. But, the one button mouse is ridiculously unusable for me and I miss things I would have on windows and things I would have in linux. In particular, the options for audio and video are vastly more on windows than mac, I was suprised to figure out.

Probably home users would transition to mac based on their individual needs rather than an objective comparison of applications available on mac as compared to windows. So, people could be convinced just be seeing something cool looking on the mac.

Business people though would probably still be unlikely to switch to mac, because they would do a more practical comparison.

But if the potential bad things in vista come to be, e.g.:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

maybe people would be more likely to switch to macos. I think other unixes are too hard to use for home users still. I am probably going to have to stop using windows in the near future, because I'm not going to use vista and I don't want to run genuine spyware so I can't get updates (though if I can find a way to block it from phoning home after it does it once, maybe I'll let it install and get some updates).
queshaw

Postby Hark » Fri 03.02.2007 4:21 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
and if you don't know shell, then it takes forever just to get it all running..

I don't know, how it's with other distributions, but at least SuSE enables you to setup anything in GUI via YaST. Installation and configuration is very easy.
Hark

Native language: Slovenčina (Slovak)

Postby Kdar » Fri 03.02.2007 4:43 pm

Same with Kubuntu's Adept or whatever the name of it.

Ubuntu have same thing too.
Kdar

Postby gconyers » Fri 03.02.2007 6:09 pm

I've been using SuSE for nearly a year, and I love it. I've not had any problems other than with the media players, but nothing that I really *need*.
Some days it just doesn\'t seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.
gconyers

Postby HeyItsMatt » Fri 03.02.2007 8:18 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
.. and if you don't know shell, then it takes forever just to get it all running..

Correct me if I'm wrong but when you say "shell" you're just referring to inputting commands (I guess UNIX commands) in the command line, right? And this isn't particularly hard like programming so much as it is just knowing what commands do what? I've messed with the DOS prompt a bit, tried basic stuff like moving through directories and creating/deleting folders, but nothing advanced.

I have one more question by the way... I'm thinking I will do Ubuntu, but it has two different options for downloading - a desktop and a server edition. The server edition says it can easily set up a LAMP server, which is reeeally tempting, but I'm wondering if the server edition is somehow simplified and streamlined so that it's supposed to work as a webserver at the expense of other things.

I want to have a webserver set up in Linux for messing with, but I won't actually be running a website or anything like that. Anyone know if I'll be missing anything if I DL the server edition?
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

Postby queshaw » Fri 03.02.2007 8:36 pm

HeyItsMatt wrote:
I have one more question by the way... I'm thinking I will do Ubuntu, but it has two different options for downloading - a desktop and a server edition. The server edition says it can easily set up a LAMP server, which is reeeally tempting, but I'm wondering if the server edition is somehow simplified and streamlined so that it's supposed to work as a webserver at the expense of other things.

I want to have a webserver set up in Linux for messing with, but I won't actually be running a website or anything like that. Anyone know if I'll be missing anything if I DL the server edition?

I didn't remember having that choice with ubuntu. According to this the server is a lightweight version with only a text mode interface.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=361919&highlight=server

So, desktop is supposedly server + X11 and GUI stuff and other desktop stuff.

There is an ubuntu forum and IRC channel at that same web page.
queshaw

Postby HeyItsMatt » Fri 03.02.2007 8:54 pm

Ah, thank you very much for that link man. I was actually looking through their forums but could not seem to find any threads about how the server and desktop editions are different - apparently I'm blind. That thread answered my question though.
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

Previous

Return to General off topic