Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Mah Jong

Mah Jong

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Mah Jong

Postby revolutionary » Mon 04.02.2007 7:39 pm

Ah, I see. The amounts can be set at whatever the players agree upon, though, right?

To be honest, I just like gambling. I'm pretty good at games like poker and Bullshit... can I say that here? But, most of my skill doesn't lie with being good at the game itself, as much as it does with reading my friends. Truthfully, I have no real skill when it comes to poker, and I still don't understand half the rules, but I'm good at bluffing. Considering that you can't really bluff in rummy at all, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it can't really be done in mah jong, either.

Still, I like the solitaire version of mah jong. I took a look at the Wiki page, and real mah jong seems more interesting. If it's even only half as complicated as it looks, maybe I'll actually learn to play it one day. But even if I don't, I'm sure I could cheat my way through a game.=P
Less perfect, more free
revolutionary

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 04.02.2007 8:00 pm

Yes. You can't change the point values during the game, though, so there's no element of betting as in poker where you try to get the other players to agree to increase the amount you can win.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby inuinu » Tue 04.03.2007 4:04 am

私は子供の頃、麻雀好きのおばあちゃんに仕込まれました。
でも、私も上のかたと同じく、点数の計算は完全には覚えていないままですね(汗)

色んな人と麻雀(マージャン)で対戦できるオンラインゲームは
検索すればたくさん出てくると思いますよ〜。

最近のネット麻雀情報はよくわかりませんが「東風荘」が有名だったと思います。
しかし玄人のかた達が多いので、初心者段階の人には近寄りづらいかも知れません。
初心者も多く、若い人達がたくさんいる「ハンゲーム」(日本版のことしか知りませんが)が
様子をうかがうにはいいかも知れません。
私はハンゲームの3Dビリヤードのゲームがリアルな操作感で好きでした(今はやってないけど)
tasukeru kotoga dekiru nara
tasuketai to omou.
dakedo eigo ha nigate.
inuinu

Postby SolidSnail » Tue 04.03.2007 7:21 am

revolutionary wrote:
Considering that you can't really bluff in rummy at all, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it can't really be done in mah jong, either.

I don't know the rummy game, but in Mahjong there is the bluff factor. Of course it is not as in pocker, but it is there. For example, you may lead the other players to believe you are constructing a particular type of game, so that they discard tiles you need and that they normally would not discard.
SolidSnail

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 04.03.2007 10:12 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
It's not that complicated. It looks difficult when people play it because most players who are decent play it very quickly. As Dehitay indicates, the game is basically rummy with tiles. The most complicated part is the scoring.

Also just to be nitpicky, it's not really a "betting" game since the payments are all decided by a fixed scoring table (the only decision the players have to make before the game is what amount of money each point represents; the people I play with usually use 10 cents a point with the average hand being worth 5-10 points).

to renitpick... http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/betting betting is the agreement to forfeit something if a certain outcome does or does not come to fruition.. anyways.. nit pick over..

even a quarter a hand is considered a bet..
two_heads_talking

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 04.03.2007 5:47 pm

Yeah...I don't know the terminology here, but I was trying to draw a distinction between a game where the players can freely choose how much money to wager on things vs. a game where the points and payouts are predetermined and cannot be changed during the game.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Re: Mah Jong

Postby Breyyne » Thu 11.27.2008 1:28 am

Old thread is old, but it is the only MahJong Thread I found.

Does anyone know any good sites/games/programs that teach you to play Mahjong. I have read a few sites but can't get the gist of it with out a tutorial or step through process.
Breyyne

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 11.27.2008 2:15 am

I don't know about online sites, but I have the Mah-jong Handbook which I quite like.

I never bothered to search for Mah Jong threads before, but it's interesting to see that people here play. Somehow I wouldn't have figure Yudan for a Mah Jong player, but it's good to know. My best win ever was "Suu anko tanki", but I got "Tsuu ii sou" once as well!

Thanks for reviving an interesting thread.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby JaySee » Fri 11.28.2008 10:38 am

I always found this site very useful. The layout is a bit chaotic, but it has a lot of info on the game and everything related to it, plus tons of links to sites that have rules of different variants (on the site itself you can also find some basic rules).
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby Dehitay » Sun 11.30.2008 12:22 pm

now that this thread is alive again, I have a MahJong related question. If somebody discards and you take it with a kan, then complete your hand with the replacement tile, is it considered ron or tsumo? Your turn began with a steal, but ended with a draw, so I'm somewhat curious.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 11.30.2008 8:14 pm

Personally, I'd consider that a tsumo, but I'm not an expert so I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Breyyne » Mon 12.01.2008 10:57 am

As I understand things, It would be a Tsumo. A Ron would end it on the steal and not the draw.
But I am still try to figure out the game, myself
Breyyne

Previous

Return to General off topic