Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - The link word method???

The link word method???

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

The link word method???

Postby ToeKeyOooh » Tue 05.15.2007 12:02 pm

Okay I'm pretty much a beginner in Japanese. Well I can read Hiragana and Katakana but my vocabulary SUCKS! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has tried any courses using the linkword method such as unforgettablelanguages.com? You know, the method that teaches vocabulary and basic grammar by creating a mental image and a similar sounding word in your native language.

I've tried demo's and it seems to work really well with me so I was thinkin about buying a course. I'm in no hurry or anything; I'm well aware that learning a new language does NOT happen over night, and I'm not one of those people who wants to learn Japanese purely because their love of Japanese language and culture goes as far as liking ANIME!!! But I think for a beginner it could be helpful to know basic japanese stuff...you know, sort of survival stuff I guess. I already know quite a lot about Japanese grammar...well at least I think I do...but yeah, I find it hard to just memorise words, but that link word thing worked really well.

So just generally what's everyone's thoughts on this kinda thing??? PLEASE BE KIND TO THE BEGINNER ALL YOU SUPER ADVANCED JAPANESE SPEAKING MACHINES!!!! :D
ToeKeyOooh

RE: The link word method???

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 05.15.2007 12:17 pm

welcome to the forums.. and I would suggest to find something that works for you.. of course we can suggest things but in the end, you are the one learning, so finding something that fits your needs is the best way..

finding vocabulary in your particular professional field can also make it more personal. you will of course learn the equivalent japanese for what you are doing and that makes it easier to learn, than say to open up a physicians book on bones and try to memorize that vocabulary..

hope that helps some
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

RE: The link word method???

Postby Teh_Freak » Tue 05.15.2007 1:23 pm

I actually bought the German Beginner course from Unforgettable Languages, it works wonders on vocabulary. I havn't spoken a word of German in a year and I still remember a good bit of what I went through on the disk; which wasn't much... the only downside to the disks is that it is really hard for me to stick to them, that and the interface could use a cosmetic facelift. But as far as learning vocabulary goes, the linkword method works incredibly well.
リモコンがどこに置きましたか?
Teh_Freak

Return to General off topic