Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - People Amaze Me Sometimes

People Amaze Me Sometimes

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: People Amaze Me Sometimes

Postby lalaith » Sun 06.03.2007 8:09 pm

juddcarlos2003 wrote:
What's this world coming to?

Check out 2 Timothy 3:1-7

Nah, that's just "The more things change, the more things stay the same." Every period of history in every culture I've ever read about some people have acted that way.
Last edited by lalaith on Sun 06.03.2007 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 06.04.2007 10:13 am

lalaith wrote:
juddcarlos2003 wrote:

Nah, that's just "The more things change, the more things stay the same." Every period of history in every culture I've ever read about some people have acted that way.

Check out 1 Mike 1:1 "There's no shortage of dumbasses."

or

Puddin'head Wilson

"The problem ain't that there's too many idiots, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby lalaith » Mon 06.04.2007 10:42 am

Mike Cash wrote:
lalaith wrote:
juddcarlos2003 wrote:

Check out 1 Mike 1:1 "There's no shortage of dumbasses."

or

Puddin'head Wilson

"The problem ain't that there's too many idiots, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Oh, I love Twain. Many of his characters were examples of 2 Timothy 3:1-7 & 1 Mike 1:1, unfortunately that reflected reality then and now.
lalaith

Postby PandanoTake » Mon 06.04.2007 11:06 am

すごい。大変ですね。
エド より
PandanoTake

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 06.04.2007 11:48 am

Mike Cash wrote:
lalaith wrote:
The OP sounded like a kid, so I might excuse her. I've known too many pregnant 12 year olds and way too many pregnant 13 - 17 year olds. But there's no excuse for her mother or the other posters.

I followed her profile and found her myspace page. She's a 22 year old shack-up baby-mama.

why you bothered to check out the myspace is beyond me.. that's disturbing actually. who cares how old she is, or what she looks like when she obviously is this oblivious.
two_heads_talking

Postby Tspoonami » Mon 06.04.2007 12:45 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:why you bothered to check out the myspace is beyond me.. that's disturbing actually. who cares how old she is, or what she looks like when she obviously is this oblivious.

"Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness"
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 06.04.2007 1:52 pm

yes, i realize that tspoonami.. it was a redundant joke..
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 06.04.2007 3:57 pm

I had some 暇 to 潰す.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Dehitay » Mon 06.04.2007 4:04 pm

Let me be the first to speak out on behalf of random girl that everybody hates. While not female, I am 22 myself. If she's like me, she doesn't have a bunch of extra money lying around and minimizing hospital visits is a good way to save money. I still haven't gotten a crown for my chipped tooth or any fillings for my numerous cavities for that reason.

From her tone, she's pretty sure her water didn't break, but because of lack of experience, she's still paranoid about it. While a call to the doctor for information doesn't cost anything, if you have experience with medical staff (at least in my area), you can guess the usual response. "Just come in and we'll have the doctor a look at that" *click*

One more thing about the medical field is that it's not so complicated that the patients themselves can't understand everything about their problems. Pregnancy is a common source of interest (especially amongst women) so a lot of non-medical people will have relevant information for this kind of problem (especially women who have gone through a pregnancy).

Also, this problem really isn't as serious as y'all are making it out to be. If it was indeed her water breaking, it's not impossible to give birth outside of a hospital in the worst case. If it's dehydration, she's shown she's smart enough to keep drinking water. The chances of any long term negative effects on either her or the child are so small that it's well worth the risk in order to save money.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby lalaith » Mon 06.04.2007 4:31 pm

Dehitay wrote:
Let me be the first to speak out on behalf of random girl that everybody hates. While not female, I am 22 myself. If she's like me, she doesn't have a bunch of extra money lying around and minimizing hospital visits is a good way to save money. I still haven't gotten a crown for my chipped tooth or any fillings for my numerous cavities for that reason.

From her tone, she's pretty sure her water didn't break, but because of lack of experience, she's still paranoid about it. While a call to the doctor for information doesn't cost anything, if you have experience with medical staff (at least in my area), you can guess the usual response. "Just come in and we'll have the doctor a look at that" *click*

One more thing about the medical field is that it's not so complicated that the patients themselves can't understand everything about their problems. Pregnancy is a common source of interest (especially amongst women) so a lot of non-medical people will have relevant information for this kind of problem (especially women who have gone through a pregnancy).

Also, this problem really isn't as serious as y'all are making it out to be. If it was indeed her water breaking, it's not impossible to give birth outside of a hospital in the worst case. If it's dehydration, she's shown she's smart enough to keep drinking water. The chances of any long term negative effects on either her or the child are so small that it's well worth the risk in order to save money.

Sorry, but if that really had been her water breaking the baby could have died when she didn't go into labor.

I understand not wanting to waste money, but there are priorities. This is not a chipped tooth or cavities. This could have been her baby's life. It could have been her life, as well.

As for not being able to get anything other than a "Just come in and we'll have the doctor a look at that" *click*"--- I've only ever had to make two after hours emergency call to my doctors. The first one wasn't to my personal doctor, but to the doctor who was on call that night. I was having an asthma attack and the inhaler wasn't doing a thing to help. When I called the doctor told me to up the frequency of using the inhaler from once every four to six hours to every 20 minutes, but if after an hour my breathing hadn't eased to go to the emergency room. The other time was after I had eye surgery. I used the eye drops when I suddenly got this milky stuff in my eyes -- it had been clear previously. I called, left a message with the answering service and got an immediate call back from the doctor who had done my surgery. Turns out it was just the particles in the eye drops coming out of solution.

The time I compound fractured my toe I didn't call or go to the emergency room. I waited and made an appointment. But being unable to breath or thinking something may have gone wrong with my eye, those I called about.

And both times, I got real help. As far as I'm concerned there's no excuse for a 22 year old not to have immediately called her doctor. It doesn't cost a thing. She could have even called her doctor and posted her question.
lalaith

Postby Dehitay » Mon 06.04.2007 8:52 pm

lalaith wrote:
Sorry, but if that really had been her water breaking the baby could have died when she didn't go into labor.

I'll admit you can always get questions answered on the phone with enough persistence, but would it really not be noticeable that you should be in labor? I'll admit I don't actually know the answer, but it just seems awkward to me that it could be time to go into labor and yet you don't notice. If so, then it becomes a serious issue.
Dehitay

Postby lalaith » Mon 06.04.2007 10:08 pm

Dehitay wrote:
I'll admit you can always get questions answered on the phone with enough persistence,

I suppose there can be problems. In both those cases of mine, I didn't have any & it didn't take any persistence -- all I had to do was describe the problem.

but would it really not be noticeable that you should be in labor? I'll admit I don't actually know the answer, but it just seems awkward to me that it could be time to go into labor and yet you don't notice. If so, then it becomes a serious issue.

You really don't know much on this. Women have actually gone into labor and not noticed. Much less a woman noticing that she's supposed to be in labor when she's not. How is a woman supposed to know that she should be in labor, other than the water breaking or looking at her due date? Every woman I've heard of whose due date has come & gone thinks she should be in labor, but prior to policy of inducing labor, she just had to wait.

If it were your child's life and your wife came to you and said, "I don't know what just happened. Maybe my water just broke or maybe it didn't -- but I've never cut loose like that before so I don't know what's going on with the baby," would you tell her not to call the doctor (a move that doesn't cost you a penny), but to post a question on-line instead?
lalaith

Postby Dehitay » Tue 06.05.2007 12:54 am

lalaith wrote:
If it were your child's life and your wife came to you and said, "I don't know what just happened. Maybe my water just broke or maybe it didn't -- but I've never cut loose like that before so I don't know what's going on with the baby," would you tell her not to call the doctor (a move that doesn't cost you a penny), but to post a question on-line instead?

My personal answer to that question isn't going to be what you want to hear. But I'll admit now knowing that it's possible to go into labor and not notice it, it becomes more crucial to make sure in such a situation.
Dehitay

Postby Infidel » Tue 06.05.2007 2:11 am

I understand not wanting to waste money, but there are priorities. This is not a chipped tooth or cavities. This could have been her baby's life. It could have been her life, as well.

You do realize that people do die from tooth cavities.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby saraLynne » Tue 06.05.2007 2:36 am

@Dehitay -> It's nice of you to try and stick up for that lady, but there are so many programs available to mothers and pregnant women of all ages, there is never an excuse to not go to a doctor for every single problem, imagined or otherwise.

A partial list that -should- be accurate nationwide:

Planned Parenthood exists everywhere. They've made darned sure of that. A pregnant woman can get medical attention related to her pregnancy for free, any time. They can even remain anonymous (a source of serious controversy among the morality police).

Additionally, most states have a program for children, which includes unborn ones and covers all pregnancy-related medical visits so you can see a regular doctor instead of the Planned Parenthood ones. I am unaware of -any- state that doesn't have this kind of program, but I HAVE NOT RESEARCHED IT so there may be some that don't care for the unborn.

Finally, last ditch effort: Hospitals cannot refuse treatment regardless of ability to pay. They WILL charge you later and ruin your credit. But at least you get treated. (Incidentally, medicaid typically will pay for medical care costs incurred within a certain time frame prior to starting the application process).

A lot of stuff may suck in American society, but support and help for young children is top notch, IMHO.
saraLynne

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic