Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - People Amaze Me Sometimes

People Amaze Me Sometimes

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: People Amaze Me Sometimes

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 06.05.2007 8:50 am

Dehitay wrote:
lalaith wrote:
If it were your child's life and your wife came to you and said, "I don't know what just happened. Maybe my water just broke or maybe it didn't -- but I've never cut loose like that before so I don't know what's going on with the baby," would you tell her not to call the doctor (a move that doesn't cost you a penny), but to post a question on-line instead?

My personal answer to that question isn't going to be what you want to hear. But I'll admit now knowing that it's possible to go into labor and not notice it, it becomes more crucial to make sure in such a situation.

When my wife's water broke with our first child, we waddled off to the hospital. Labor wasn't forthcoming, and was induced. Rupture of the amniotic sac leaves the unborn child exposed to potential danger from infection. Nature/God encloses the kid in a sealed environment for a purpose. We were told that after the water breaking, the kid needs to come the hell out of there within 24 hours. So it is a much more serious thing than you realize.

Fear of the hospital bill for what may turn out to have been a needless consultation is no excuse. One sufficiently poverty-stricken can in the worst case merely add it to the stack of other bills going ignored. To not seek competent professional attention in this case is irresponsible and stupid.

And let's not compare the life of a child with a chipped tooth, shall we?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 06.05.2007 11:01 am

Mike Cash wrote:

And let's not compare the life of a child with a chipped tooth, shall we?

now, I can agree with this statement wholeheartedly
two_heads_talking

Postby lalaith » Tue 06.05.2007 11:33 am

Dehitay wrote:
lalaith wrote:
If it were your child's life and your wife came to you and said, "I don't know what just happened. Maybe my water just broke or maybe it didn't -- but I've never cut loose like that before so I don't know what's going on with the baby," would you tell her not to call the doctor (a move that doesn't cost you a penny), but to post a question on-line instead?

My personal answer to that question isn't going to be what you want to hear. But I'll admit now knowing that it's possible to go into labor and not notice it, it becomes more crucial to make sure in such a situation.

No, your answer really wouldn't bother me. You're young, obviously uneducated about the risks of pregnancy and, most of all, you aren't in that situation.

Just you wait. When it's the woman you are deeply in love with and she's carrying your baby -- the baby you've spent months dreaming about, the one you may have spent years planning for, the baby you've felt move when you placed your hand on her hard belly, the one whose face you've seen in the ultrasound and whose heart you've heard beating fast and bright, the one you meant the kiss for when you kissed her belly and might have even talked to, the one you've been worried about and hoping for for nine months -- if you're in that situation and still give the same answer, then it wouldn't be the answer I'd want to hear. But at that point, you'll have other people's opinions that will be more critical to you -- like your wife/girlfriend, her parents and your parents.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby Dehitay » Tue 06.05.2007 2:45 pm

lalaith wrote:
No, your answer really wouldn't bother me. You're young, obviously uneducated about the risks of pregnancy and, most of all, you aren't in that situation.

Just you wait. When it's the woman you are deeply in love with and she's carrying your baby -- the baby you've spent months dreaming about, the one you may have spent years planning for, the baby you've felt move when you placed your hand on her hard belly, the one whose face you've seen in the ultrasound and whose heart you've heard beating fast and bright, the one you meant the kiss for when you kissed her belly and might have even talked to, the one you've been worried about and hoping for for nine months -- if you're in that situation and still give the same answer, then it wouldn't be the answer I'd want to hear. But at that point, you'll have other people's opinions that will be more critical to you -- like your wife/girlfriend, her parents and your parents.

It's possible that my views on human life will change in the future. But at the current point, I've become somewhat of a morbid person who doesn't really care about the lives of children who haven't become cognitive or criminals who bring down the quality of life for others more than they bring it up for anybody. Neither kind of life actually comes across as important to me.

And my views on childbirth also tend to differ a lot. Because I tend to think with a sort of cold logic, I cannot understand why women insist on giving birth when adoption is an option. The only advantage I know of with childbirth is that you have a good idea what the genetic make up of the child will be. But that doesn't seem at all worth the certain negative consequences like sickness during pregnance, reduced life span, and post-pregnancy weight and hormone problems. On top of that, you add risks like increased chance of breast cancer and childbirth complications. If I get married, I'll leave the choice of how to acquire children to my wife, but I'll definitely be recommending adoption.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 06.05.2007 3:35 pm

Dehitay wrote:

I cannot understand why women insist on giving birth when adoption is an option.

That is priceless.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Wed 06.06.2007 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 06.05.2007 4:09 pm

man, that's the quote of the year. rofl..
two_heads_talking

Postby tanuki » Tue 06.05.2007 5:04 pm

Dehitay wrote:
And my views on childbirth also tend to differ a lot. Blah blah blah

Dehitay, duuude.

I refrained from commenting on your comparison between water breaking and cavities, but this deserves a comment.

If I find your views on childbirth preposterous and even laughable, I can't begin to imagine what a woman would think.

If I get married, I'll leave the choice of how to acquire children to my wife

I find something about the phrase "acquire children" unsettling.

----

I thought you were a reasonable man, Dehitay. You won't care, but I must say that I am disappointed.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby caroline » Tue 06.05.2007 5:49 pm

Tanuki wrote :

If I find your views on childbirth preposterous and even laughable, I can't begin to imagine what a woman would think.

If I get married, I'll leave the choice of how to acquire children to my wife

I find something about the phrase "acquire children" unsettling.

There was never a better named thread, Mike.

Tanuki I do agree with...

Dehitay, my first reaction was to say that I would certainly not even begin to imagine having a child with someone who thinks of children as something being acquired, but then again, not being a native English speaker, I won't think that you want to acquire children as I acquire new shoes, or a pet... and I don't think the tax incentive is remotely enough to compensate the cost, if we are on the economic side of it. And in english a weapon acquires a target, if I'm not mistaken... but this is getting gore.

As for having one's child from the man/woman one loves, it's not only an act of love, but also of faith in the future; it has been said above better than I would. And it may even not be incompatible with adoption. Even if the negative consequences of childbirth you point out were true (which they aren't necessarily ), it would still be worth it - speaking from experience.

Surely, you could also view it as your own immortality, as it is your genetic stock going on, and that's why there is probably something beyond rationality in wanting to have one's own child and an instinct to have children. On the other hand, you could decide that you don't want to pass your genetic stock on; but that's another motive - quite philosophical and an individual choice - you didn't raise.
Last edited by caroline on Tue 06.05.2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caroline

Native language: Français

Postby lalaith » Tue 06.05.2007 7:10 pm

Dehitay wrote:
It's possible that my views on human life will change in the future. But at the current point, I've become somewhat of a morbid person who doesn't really care about the lives of children who haven't become cognitive or criminals who bring down the quality of life for others more than they bring it up for anybody. Neither kind of life actually comes across as important to me.

I've heard a lot of arguments around the abortion debate -- and I am not stating my position here as that would violate the "no politics" rule, but no one no matter how pro-Choice believes that a nine month fetus is any less cognitive in the uterus than it is 12 hours later outside of the uterus. And, please, everyone, let's not turn this into an argument about abortion.

If I get married, I'll leave the choice of how to acquire children to my wife, but I'll definitely be recommending adoption.

Yes, pregnancy can be dangerous. In fact, not all that long ago, pregnancy and childbirth was the number one killer of women of childbearing age.

Not anymore, thankfully. Very thankfully. The risks are much reduced.

I'm not aware that childbirth reduces the life-span (caveat being -- not here in the Westernized world). I know for a fact that childbirth reduces the risk of breast cancer. In fact, one of the risks factors of breast cancer is not having a baby.

Yes, the other risks and the realities of morning sickness, weight gain, etc. are there, but most women, most couples, choose to accept them. If you and your future wife do not or, in your case, if your future wife does not as you've indicated you'll leave the decision up to her.......

I think adoption is a wonderful thing. Plenty of kids in foster care need homes.

But whatever route you and your hypothetical wife take towards parenthood, I can predict that she's going to want you to show more enthusiasm and interest than you've indicated here. After all, they'll be your children too -- however they came into your family.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby Dehitay » Tue 06.05.2007 9:03 pm

lalaith wrote:
I'm not aware that childbirth reduces the life-span (caveat being -- not here in the Westernized world). I know for a fact that childbirth reduces the risk of breast cancer. In fact, one of the risks factors of breast cancer is not having a baby.

You're right. I twisted up the effects of childbirth on breast cancer. I also spouted out the childbirth reducing lifespan theory without realizing it. While studies do show that women who give birth live noticeably shorter lives than those that don't, there's no way to prove that childbirth is the cause. The stress from child rearing alone could understandably reduce a lifespan. However, even though those 2 statements probly shouldn't be considered, there are a large number of other risks that exists in their place. To me, it just logically makes more sense to adopt.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby saraLynne » Wed 06.06.2007 7:56 am

"You're gonna be a daddy."

Words that will one day completely revolutionize Dehitay's thought processes. ^_^
Lots of love for the future. <3<3<3
saraLynne

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 06.06.2007 8:26 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
man, that's the quote of the year. rofl..

I'll admit that I had to isolate it totally out of context in order for it to look that funny.

But I thought about it some at work today and came to the realization that the only conclustion one can draw from that attitude is that anyone holding it must believe that there are two classes of women: 1) the kind you marry and 2) brood sows to provide children for all of us.
Mike Cash

Postby Hatori » Mon 07.02.2007 12:13 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
lalaith wrote:
The OP sounded like a kid, so I might excuse her. I've known too many pregnant 12 year olds and way too many pregnant 13 - 17 year olds. But there's no excuse for her mother or the other posters.

I followed her profile and found her myspace page. She's a 22 year old shack-up baby-mama.

why you bothered to check out the myspace is beyond me.. that's disturbing actually. who cares how old she is, or what she looks like when she obviously is this oblivious.

LOL, I like stalking people by checking out their myspaces.
---
Anyways, this thread is hilarious beyond belief. Plus, there's this person my mom knows that had a child when she was TWELVE! I think that's insane...
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby sei » Tue 07.03.2007 5:33 pm

Dehitay wrote:

And my views on childbirth also tend to differ a lot. Because I tend to think with a sort of cold logic, I cannot understand why women insist on giving birth when adoption is an option. The only advantage I know of with childbirth is that you have a good idea what the genetic make up of the child will be. But that doesn't seem at all worth the certain negative consequences like sickness during pregnance, reduced life span, and post-pregnancy weight and hormone problems. On top of that, you add risks like increased chance of breast cancer and childbirth complications. If I get married, I'll leave the choice of how to acquire children to my wife, but I'll definitely be recommending adoption.

I can only be shocked at this. And keep my mouth shut as to not be offensive...

Also, I should add that it's completely different having a baby of your own than adoption someone else's child.

But I respect people who adopt very much. I won't ignore the chance of adoption when the time to form a family comes. If it ever comes. Unfortunately it can be very complicated sometimes.

I just hope you'll think of what you said here in the future, when you plan on forming a family.
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby SenescenceReign » Tue 07.03.2007 5:54 pm

What! This is an old post!

You tricked me into posting on an old post!
Last edited by SenescenceReign on Tue 07.03.2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/relurk
SenescenceReign

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic