Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A monkey as a pet =)

A monkey as a pet =)

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: A monkey as a pet =)

Postby Hatori » Wed 06.20.2007 12:09 am

5. Monkey *poops and dies*
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby katafei » Wed 06.20.2007 6:37 am

Dana Craig wrote:
and tell me what do you think of getting a monkey as a pet :D

OMG
If you can't even get a dog to behave human friendly, PLEASE do not think a monkey is a nice alternative. It is not as if they come in a 'child-friendly' mode. Animals need constant training, coaching, caring, cleaning up after, etc, etc, etc.
Monkeys are not suitable as pets.
Maybe if you live in a village in Asia or South America, it might work, but not in the Western world.
Just stick with a bunny.
Very 'aaibaar' (uhm, English?? let me think: soft, nice to the touch, bound to take over your heart), good with kids, they can actually learn tricks, and, as you've found out, they don't live for ever. So if you get tired of them, don't despair.....
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby Dana Craig » Wed 06.20.2007 9:15 am

my other pets only died because i was a kid when my parents got them for me. and as to all of you telling me that monkeys are hard to raise, i guess ur right, u talked me out of buying a monkey. i don't know from where to buy a monkey to begin with!

thank u!

have ya'll got monkeys as pets? u seem like u know a lot about'em from what u wrote :p
Dana Craig

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 06.20.2007 10:27 am

Mike Cash wrote:
You're to pet ownership what Elizabeth Taylor is to matrimony.

I guess, depending on the pet type, all or most pet owners could fit into this category. But really, without the comparison, just tell his what you mean. he may not get your cryptic humor.. especially if he doesn't know who elizabeth taylor is or why she was famous....

Hamsters and gerbils live about 2-3 years so turnover is quite quick. My daughters love hamsters and have had quite a few. One escaped and we found it 3 years later in the vent from the heater (I am guessing he was cold, until the flame turned on) Another bit my daughter (youngest who was 2 or 3) she squeezed him until he died. One was so feisty that we took him back 3 hours after we got him. He just didn't fit. The last one we had lived 3 and half years. His last few days, he spent sleeping alot and wasn't generally very active. I found him dead on his wheel at midnight one night before going to bed. (the kids wanted to know when he died, so we all got up and buried him in the back yard).. My kids told me they didn't want another Hamster.
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Wed 06.20.2007 10:40 am

Dana Craig wrote:
have ya'll got monkeys as pets? u seem like u know a lot about'em from what u wrote :p

One of my friends actually does have a monkey. It stays in a cage most of the time, and doesn't act anything like a person.

You don't really need to have a monkey to imagine what it would be like, though. Just go to the zoo and take a peek.
keatonatron

Postby jrivera » Wed 06.20.2007 11:52 am

Everyone has gone so far off topic!
I'd call my monkey 'monkey'.
My dog's nickname is already monkeybutt
jrivera

Postby Hatori » Thu 06.21.2007 10:12 pm

Dana Craig wrote:
my other pets only died because i was a kid when my parents got them for me. and as to all of you telling me that monkeys are hard to raise, i guess ur right, u talked me out of buying a monkey. i don't know from where to buy a monkey to begin with!

thank u!

lol. Okay, I didn't meant to sound mean, but I just had to say a smart a**-like post because I can never compete with the people who make their funny posts. lol. I'm just stupid.

Okay. Monkeys like to poop their diapers a lot, sometimes can be 500 years old (refer to Son Goku in Saiyuki), and monkeys like to eat insects off of another monkey. We are also related to them as of we are homosapiens. :) lol.

I understand what you mean by when you were little and had pets. I hate it when little kids accidentally hurt their hamster while they're in their ball or do something without knowing. lol... It's so sad. My hamster died like half a year ago and she was a darling. I got her when I was in sixth grade and she lived for two years. She NEVER bit anybody. My dog is also five now. She has a gray muzzle now. :( *tears*

lol. Anyways, taking on the challenge of taking care of a pet is a big burden if you don't know much. How about doing research about a pet you may want in the future and tell your parents all you know and promise to do what you need to do. I know people promise to do stuff and don't do it, but if you stick to the promise, you, your parents, and your pet will be happy.
I suggest getting a black bear hamster. They're $20, but they are such darlings and are very sweet. :) My hamster was so good and I treated her well and kept to my promise. :D
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Seapony » Fri 06.22.2007 1:48 am

keatonatron wrote:
Dana Craig wrote:

One of my friends actually does have a monkey. It stays in a cage most of the time, and doesn't act anything like a person.

You don't really need to have a monkey to imagine what it would be like, though. Just go to the zoo and take a peek.

Growing up, I often visited my neighbor who owned two capuchin monkeys among other pets. She made her living as a trainer and entertainer at events. Often her pets wound up in the odd commercial or movie.

They're cute as ever, but LOTS of work...like taking care of children except rather than talk back to you, they'll spit, bite and get plain ornery when in a bad mood.

:)
Seapony

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 06.22.2007 10:47 am

Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby ruisu81 » Fri 06.22.2007 11:31 am

Remember that monkey from Friends, the capuchin? They're to quadriplegics what dogs are to blind people. I'm pretty sure you can just go and buy one of them. They sound pretty sweet. Sweet as in they can be trained to cook and clean for you.
ruisu81

Postby Hatori » Fri 06.22.2007 10:27 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
Chimps....bad idea

Mike C., you're like a never ending pit of witty comments and sarcastic remarks.
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Infidel » Fri 06.22.2007 11:18 pm

sarcasm and wit do usually go together.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Hatori » Sat 06.23.2007 12:04 am

Infidel wrote:
sarcasm and wit do usually go together.

I do agree, but I can never pull it off. :@ :p
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 06.23.2007 8:24 am

Hatori wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
Chimps....bad idea

Mike C., you're like a never ending pit of witty comments and sarcastic remarks.

You're very kind to say so.

Did you read the article I linked to? I recalled it from a book compilation of Straight Dope columns from the days back before Algore invented the internet. I hoped to google around for some info on how some animals that may seem to be fine pets for a while tend to turn mean and nasty as they grow older. Such is the case with chimps, I believe. I've also heard it offered as a strong candidate for the reason the zebra was never domesticated in Africa.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Seapony » Sat 06.23.2007 5:25 pm

The Fate of Bubbles Jackson. In case you skim through it, it basically became too aggressive and Michael got rid of him. So even with all his resources (at the time) he had to move him out. Has to tell you something (about chimps, that is).

As for capuchins, while it's true they're sometimes recruited as "helping monkeys" but again, like seeing eye dogs go through a rigorous training, plus they have to return every year or so (I forget exactly how long) to take a refresher course. I doubt someone without that sort of handling experience will end up with the amiable disposition of a helping monkey for long.

B)
Last edited by Seapony on Sat 06.23.2007 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seapony

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic