Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Axis & Allies Redux

Axis & Allies Redux

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Axis & Allies Redux

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 08.11.2007 10:00 am

Gentlemen, let us each endeavor not to "drag the line" as the defunct colloquialism puts it.

Game play has been astoundingly slow.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

RE: Axis & Allies Redux

Postby Vuredel » Mon 08.13.2007 8:28 pm

I'll take this opportunity to announce that I do not plan to join any more games until further notice, due to school starting.

It's been fun, though. :)
Vuredel

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 09.04.2007 11:03 am

The current games are wrapping up and it's all over but the crying.

Who is in for the next go-round?
Mike Cash

Postby Vuredel » Wed 09.05.2007 12:25 am

That was a fun game. So that all may enjoy, and see what the game is like, here is the game log that I painstakingly made into multiple animated GIFs. :)

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Good game, all.
Vuredel

Postby saraLynne » Wed 09.05.2007 1:13 am

Does this game play just like Risk?
saraLynne

Postby Valatunda » Wed 09.05.2007 3:43 am

I would like to be in the next game please. Sorry for not playing well with the U.K.
Valatunda

Native language: 英語

Postby Hark » Wed 09.05.2007 4:17 am

I would also like to play again.

Once I tried to play a training round of Risk (that is also provided via GamesByEmail) and it seemed different. If I correctly remember, in Risk you take whatever territory you want at the beginning of the game. I'm not sure, if I ever reached fighting phase. But you can try demo of A&A, where you control all of the contries. The game is rather user friendly, as it always says you what you can do and what not. Rest can be always polished during real play :) .

Here's a link to A&A preview. Start by clicking into the map. If you move your cursorr over the map, it will always say you what to do.
http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/WW2#Preview
Hark

Native language: Slovenčina (Slovak)

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 09.05.2007 6:36 am

saraLynne wrote:
Does this game play just like Risk?

Not quite, but it is easy to pick up as one goes along.

Would you like to be in with us? We're just getting ready to start a new round.
Mike Cash

Postby Vuredel » Fri 09.07.2007 11:10 pm

Can we get a gamelog or at least a report of the outcome of each match? Since I can't play anymore, I'd still like to know what's going on. =)

Also, Hark, Mike, or Val, if any of you have your team chatlog to our game, I'd be really interested to know what things you guys were saying. As for us, it was just me talking to myself the whole time (Kagemaru saying nothing at all until the very end), but I'll post it if you want.
Vuredel

Postby Hark » Sat 09.08.2007 4:45 am

After the game ends, we could post direct links to it. Without any password you would be able to see it as if you was the link owner. There is only one problem - anyone would be able to send Scott "remarks" in poster's name and would be able to delete messages. I'll try to figure something out.

To silence your curiosity, here's our (so anticipated) team chatlog :D (I hope Mike won't mind)

Mike Cash: Hark, don't resign. We'll try to get Russia back for you!

Hark: Don't worry. I'll be watching the game progress. Thank you and good luck.
Hark

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 09.08.2007 7:02 am

I have no objection to posting team chat after the game is over.

So for the next round we have me, Val, and Hark. One or two more would be nice. Let's wait and see if Sara cares to join us before starting up again.
Mike Cash

Postby Vuredel » Sat 09.08.2007 11:56 am

OK, here's my teamchat for my game with Kagemaru:
Vuredel: I'm going to be trying to attack Russia while fending off the USA (rather than attacking them), so see if you can't take advantage somehow. =)

Vuredel: Oh, and I'm not sure how much you've played, but just so we're on the same page, please don't throw all your forces away just to capture one region or anything. Think strategically, particularly about positioning and cost-effectiveness. Check unit stats, don't attack infantry with infantry unless it's to backup your tanks as a meatshield. As of right now Russia has some major defenses thrown up on your eastern front, so you'll probably just end up exhausting yourself fighting them. I'd be looking very carefully to see if you can do anything with Africa and the Middle East. Conquer some territory, build an Industrial Complex, and come at Russia from another angle. Use infantry to defend the homeland as they are cheaper than tanks and defend the same. Unfortunately having destroyed the UK's fleet won't help you much, as you can't blockade them for another 2 turns and by then they'll have more ships. I'd probably take a couple planes and destroy that undefended transport while you can. Also remember that taking neutral territory costs you 3 credits, but doesn't gain you money each turn like other territories. So take them only if it's immediately strategically necessary (e.g. I took Mongolia as an alleyway to Russia). Don't forget that tanks can move 2 spaces at once by blitzing through friendly or unoccupied enemy territory.

Vuredel: Russia foolishly took Ukraine with only one infantry, so I'd send all of Eastern Europe's tanks there along with one infantry (meatshield). Then you'll be poised to attack Caucasus with your tanks. Since Russia has no tanks of its own, if they try to counter this move, it won't be very cost-effective for them. He'll then be forced to split his defenses between Karelia and Caucasus. I imagine he'll continue to pump out infantry on that front, but at least you'll have Ukraine back. Meanwhile, hopefully I can get some tanks up in French Indo-China Burma, and force him to dedicate more defenses there. As long as you can fend off the UK from the west, and I can fend off the USA from my east, we may stand a chance.

Vuredel: BTW I'm not trying to play the game for you but just want to point out things I see. =) Also feel free to adapt if you see something better, of course, or even offer your own suggestions.

Vuredel: Another thing I should mention is that it would be a really good idea to take Spain. It's much easier to defend against an amphibious assault than a land assault. If the UK can get their hands on Spain, they'll have a foothold to attack you from land, and you'll have to spend more resources to defend against them that you can't use to further other pursuits.

Vuredel: Just moved and had good success. I think we're in a very good position to attack Russia now. We'll have to see what USA and Russia decide to do, of course, but Russia's production is dwindling and they're going to be forced to split defenses among Karelia, Caucasus, and the Russian capital. I can definitely take at least another two of their territories on my next turn, I think, if not three or even four. Also, the UK built a factory on Australia so they're going to dedicate resources there, and they didn't even create any ships near Europe. So, you shouldn't have to worry too much about the UK for a while. Tank Russia HARD.

Vuredel: As for future plans, if we capture Russia, send tanks down to bulldoze Africa. Since attacking Russia is actually viable for you now, you probably won't have to worry too much about building a factory in Africa. Instead, after we take Russia, build a factory in Western Europe if you can, which will give you a better position to fight both the UK and USA.

Vuredel: And as for what I said earlier about Spain, I'm not sure if it's actually possible to build a factory on a neutral territory, since they're not worth anything (and the number of units you can place on a factory per turn is determined by that territory's "number"). In any case, Spain isn't as big a deal at the moment.

Vuredel: Well, I held off on bringing my four tanks straight up to Russia because he's obviously trying to trick me into getting my tanks destroyed before I can mass them. We'll have to wait and see how he moves in order to really see what needs done. In any case, be sure to destroy the UK's new transport, of course, if you can.

Vuredel: Can you do me a favor and attack Caucasus? Not only will it help you, but those 3 UK fighter planes cost me India last turn, and I DON'T want them to attack my tanks in Persia.

Vuredel: Thanks. Also, when they (most likely) retake Russia, can you please hold back and let me conquer it again? It'd make a wonderful inland base for me; I could pump out 8 units per turn from there if I needed, which is the same as the Japanese mainland, except it's not restrained by water.

Vuredel: OK, now that we're going to win no matter what, why not have some fun? First, let's win by taking America, NOT the UK (win condition is taking two Allied capitals). Just bomb the UK or whatever you want. They're so crippled now, it doesn't even matter. It can be a contest between you and me to see who takes Washington D.C. faster. ;) Also, I'm sending an envoy to your capital to chill out with your leaders. I expect one in return!

Kagemaru: How's Don Perignon?

Vuredel: It's good, but our envoy was insulted by your German table manners, and as such has departed the capital west.

Kagemaru: Looks like Cuban cigars then...

Kagemaru: Thanks..

And the teamchat with Hark:
Hark: I recaptured India. Man it with units before Mike'll able to react.

Vuredel: That was my plan, of course. UK has a hard time hitting Germany, so I want to undermine Japan's efforts in Asia. On the other hand, attacking Manchuria already was a big mistake, I think; so was attacking most of the Japanese fleet with just a submarine and fighter plane. Try your best to hold off Manchuria from advancing. He can only produce 3 units there each turn. Once we amass enough units we can kick Japan out of Asia. Also, regarding America, you ought to be able to attack the fleet in the sea of Japan with your fleet at Wake Island as well as both of your bombers in North America, since they separated their aircraft carrier from the main fleet. (this is potentially subject to change by your next turn, of course) Putting pressure on Japan to defend the mainland will help to distract them from Asia.

Hark: Both of my actions had one aim. To delay Japan's efforts in supplying mainland Asia. Unfortunately, they were unsuccessful, but not meaningless.

Vuredel: Okay, I took out Germany's forces in Eastern Europe. Some thoughts: What if you took it with one infantry, then sent your other infantry and two planes to attack the tank in Caucasus? Then, you could create 3 tanks in Karelia, and use them to counterattack when Germany takes back Eastern Europe (and you'd blitz Ukraine as well). With the other 10 IPCs you can create 3 more infantry in Russia, or take 2 stabs at research. If you get lucky, research could really save your butt.

Or, if you don't want to make tanks (Germany of course can counter your counter very easily), you can just make more infantry to defend. But, you definitely should attack the tank in Caucasus because it can blitz through Persia and on to Kazakh.

Again, I think anything you can put into research would be worth trying, because it already looks as if we're going to lose. Germany alone can take down Russia, but we also have Japan with a strong footing in Asia. Rockets, improved industrial complexes, or jet fighters would be a great help.

Hark: Germany is weak. Without any planes it should be easy to build some transports and possess threat to whole Europe. Kagemaru'll have to leave some units in every nearby territory. And Russian economy with partial UK help should be able to eventualy destroy Germany.
Without navy, Japan have only 3 units per turn in Manchuria to move against Russia/India. I believe that combined effort from India and mainland USA should stop Mike from capturing either.

Vuredel: Well, I got realllly lucky and researched Jets with just one try. So, I dropped two jets into Karelia. Then I made two transports to threaten Germany a little bit. And I made some moves to protect India.

Unfortunately, Germany can still easily bust through Karelia's defenses; they have 12 tanks. Doing so won't leave them defenseless, either, as they can make at least 5 tanks next round. Also, Japan will have no trouble taking Yakut with just one plane defending it. I am pleasantly surprised that you were able to take out Japan's navy; however, they have plenty of planes they can use to destroy your battleship and transport. Maybe if we can take French Indo-China Burma to your control, or cement control on Kwangtung, and make an industrial complex, America will have a much stronger position to oppose Japan. Otherwise, it looks like you'll have to spend two turns each time you want to ship troops over, and the transports will be vulnerable to planes unless you withdraw your fleet from Japan to protect them. That's if they don't destroy your fleet first anyway.

Hark: No problem. Germany can buy 5-6 tanks per turn. Russia can buy 7-9 infantrymen per turn. And without planes, you can build your transports and threaten Europe from the sea. If Kagemaru tries to buy some planes, he would buy less ground units...

With Wake in my possession, It's me, who can control Japanese sea or even bomb Japan itself via my (comming) bombers. Now it's cheaper for me to destroy any ships that Mike'll build. And finally Wake it's secured. If he invest in ships, we'll capture Indo-China or Manchuria. If not, Wake is safe and I'll control the seas.

Hark: Just to be sure - units in Egypt must be destroyed. I hope that Kagemaru won't be able to utilize Mike's transports.

Vuredel: Tried and failed to kill Egypt-Japs. But, I landed troops to Algeria, which will be able to attack Western Europe or Southern Europe or Eastern Europe or even Ukraine if necessary (unless Mike puts his transports into the Mediterranean, although I'm pretty sure you must control both sides of the Suez canal to do that). Also, the landed units can put a tiny bit of pressure on Mike in Africa.

As for Asia, I put a tank into China to try to keep that American infantry alive, and I avoided taking French Indo-China Burma. So, unless Mike kills both your Americans, you can take over FI-CB and I'll reinforce it from India. Then you can make an industrial complex and produce American troops happily in Asia. =) (make sure you don't spend resources on the complex until the turn AFTER you conquer FI-CB)

Overall I'd say things are really starting to look up compared to a couple turns ago. Nice work!

Vuredel: Oh by the way, unless Manchuria is really, really weak, don't try to attack it yet. Again, our objective here is really containment.

Vuredel: After seeing Japan's move, a few notes:
you could take back Yakut using Soviet Far East plus your 3 planes on Wake Island. But you'd have to withdraw your ships from Wake Island to Midway or someplace to get out of range of Manchuria's fighter, unless you want to risk it. Make sure to leave something in Soviet Far East, whether it be planes or an infantry or whatever, so they can't blitz it back.

Take FI-CB with your American infantry in China. I'll fill it with whatever I can, and I have to consider whether to try to take Kwangtung and leave a fighter in China, or not. The turn after taking it, create an Industrial Complex there. The turn after that, pump units. We're going to have to try our best to keep Japan contained until American reinforcements can arrive in FI-CB.

Meanwhile, I'll likely send my guys down to deal with the Japanese in Africa. If they create an Industrial Complex in South Africa, I'll try to make another in Egypt. Also, watch that they don't send their transport underneath Africa in preparation to take Brazil. Just keep an eye on it.

Hark: Mainland Asia is ours. Even if Mike retakes Manchuria, I'll immediately take it back. He won't be able to supply any other territory than Japan. I'll take care of that. In couple of turns, we can finally concentrate on Germany.

Hark: To your second post - yes, industrial complex in Africa would be annoying, but overall harmless. Now we can control Japan via bombers and move our efforts towards Germany. 2 units per turn would be too few to stop us.

Vuredel: Hah! I guess there's little need for you to build an IC in FI-CB anyway now that you've got Manchuria. Way to go! You keep surprising me with America... Anyway, I think I'm going to see about researching Heavy Bombers and blowing the crap out of Germany. Also, would you mind if I took Kwangtung? It may not be so necessary now, but it'll give me a little closer shot at Japan. And I can rocket them from there as well.

Hark: I'm glad you like my move ;)
Kwantung is all yours. USA is enough economically potent. I wish you good luck with heavy bombers, your transports in Mediterranean works as intended. Kagemaru bought a plane, but your economical power rises.

Hark: I'll destroy Mike's last transport next turn. Could you take out that tank in Syria, please? I'm preparing invasion of the E.Europe in turn or two.

Vuredel: Sure. Also, please be aware that Mike created another industrial complex in the Philippines. Sneaky!

Hark: Yes, really sneaky :D . I thought that's for S.Africa at first. But Philippines I can control in the same way as Japan.

Vuredel: Geez, had the crappiest luck on rolls last turn. 30 IPCs into research and nothing. Attacked Mike's undefended transport with two fighters, and lost one of them.

Vuredel: Oh, and only rocketed 2 IPCs from Germany. :/

Hark: Yes, for USA it's the same. I wasted 65 IPCs so far without any success.

Vuredel: Long-range HEAVY bombers, baby! It's over! XD

Vuredel: Shucks, it looks like I won't have time to use them on Germany. :P

Hark: Use them on Japan :)

Vuredel: Looks like some British troops have stopped by your capital for some R&R. Choice: do you serve them tea and crumpets, or good old American cuisine at McDonald's?

Hark: :D :D :D They're going to war. The choice is big steaks and kegs of beer. (You have to make them load those transports again somehow ;) )

Vuredel: The Brits have accepted your culinary offer and are pleased. Having staggered back aboard their vessels, they make headway through to the Pacific Ocean. But, they have to make a pitstop in Panama to lose those same fine victuals and wait out their hangovers. Meanwhile, those back home have heard that the Americans throw great parties, and so have followed in the wake of those previous. BUT, some of the soldiers appear to have got their hands on the President's daughter, and have commenced with dirty dancing. How do you handle this situation without causing an international incident? YOU DECIDE.

Hark: I don't have a daughter. There must be some misunderstanding. :)

Vuredel: Correction: it was the President's WIFE. They were so drunk they thought she was much younger. Now, having had their fun, they too depart for the final frontier.

Vuredel: On a side note, British troops think hoola girls are fantastic. Nay, BRILLIANT.

Hark: I'm waiting for you and your troops at karaoke bar :)

I think I may have over analyzed a bit at times... but these were only the 2nd and 3rd games of this I've ever played, after a practice game with a friend. So maybe I did OK. =)
Vuredel

Postby Hark » Sun 09.09.2007 4:45 am

I like this one:

Vuredel: BTW I'm not trying to play the game for you...

:D ;)
Hark

Postby Kagemaru » Sun 09.09.2007 5:58 am

Please include me in each round Mike, until I advise I am unable. Thank you kindly :)
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby Vuredel » Sun 09.09.2007 10:39 pm

Hark wrote:
I like this one:

Vuredel: BTW I'm not trying to play the game for you...

:D ;)

Heheh... I actually thought by my first turn that we were already going to lose. I felt I needed to do something. :p

... But Kagemaru never gives input on anything! =/
Vuredel

Next

Return to General off topic