Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Computer question

Computer question

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Computer question

Postby crowfeather » Fri 10.05.2007 8:50 pm

I have a Gateway with XP. I have been having problems with it. If I forward anything the recipient gets multiples.
Also frequently I have kanji show up in English text.

I had a computer tech who said I don't have any viruses, but my Operating System was corrupt. He reformatted my hard drive and re-loaded XP with the disk I got with my computer. I of course reloaded Japanese font.
I still have the same problems.

I spoke to another tech and he said it may be my hard drive or mother board.

I may end up buying a new computer.
I am considering a Mac.
How do you get Japanese font on a Mac?

If you have a Mac I would appreciate your overall opinion of it.
Thanks
Barbara
crowfeather

RE: Computer question

Postby hungryhotei » Fri 10.05.2007 9:12 pm

crowfeather wrote:

Also frequently I have kanji show up in English text.

Is this in place of punctuation like apostrophes? If so it might be just some kind of encoding problem.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby crowfeather » Fri 10.05.2007 9:24 pm

No the Kanji show up at the beginning or in the middle of English words. And it is sporadic. Some times there will be none other times they are peppered throughout an article.
If that was the only problem I would work around it.
The annoying part is if I send an attachment the recipient gets 10-15 copies of it.
I have a hobby where we exchange patterns or pictures. I don't dare send any.
When I sent one the person who received it said she got a prompt that said "to open this could harm her computer"
Last edited by crowfeather on Fri 10.05.2007 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crowfeather

Postby Dehitay » Fri 10.05.2007 9:35 pm

what e-mail service do you use? Have you tried using a different one to see if the same problem happens? Also, as far as kanji randomly appearing, that happens to me as well on my desktop since I have something set in English instead of Japanese (I forgot what, but it's more convenient to have it in English). Some e-mail services just aren't East Asian text compatible and that will mess things up as well. If you're only having problems with 1 e-mail service, it could be something in your settings got mixed up.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby crowfeather » Fri 10.05.2007 9:46 pm

I don't get kanji in English email, they are only in English articles I am reading on the net.

As far as the multiple emails I sent 5 different people an email with a different attachment in each one. They all got 10-15 copies of the email.
When I had the computer tech here he said my Operating System was corrupt which is why he reformatted it. But that didn't solve the problem
When you say what email service do I use do you mean my ISP or Outlook?
Barbara
Last edited by crowfeather on Fri 10.05.2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crowfeather

Postby Infidel » Fri 10.05.2007 11:28 pm

crowfeather wrote:
I don't get kanji in English email, they are only in English articles I am reading on the net.

view-encoding-western to get rid of the random kanji.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Feba » Sat 10.06.2007 2:27 am

As for the Mac question, I believe OS X comes preloaded with something like 26 languages ready to go out of the box, including Japanese.

You might also want to try Ubuntu or a similar linux distro, getting Japanese input setup on this has been very simple for me, and it has more customization than I remember XP having.
Feba

Postby crowfeather » Sat 10.06.2007 10:20 am

Infidel,
A computer techie I am not. :(

I found encoding. The drop down menu has:
Auto-Select
Japanese ( Auto-Select)
Unicode ( UTF-8)
Western European ( Windows)
Japanese (Shift-JIS)
Western European ( ISO)
More..
Left to right document
Right to left document

There was a "dot " in front of " Japanese ( Shift-JIS)" and I moved it to "Western European ( Windows)"

There is also a dot in front of " Left to right document" which I think should be there.
Since I didn't encounter the random kanji all the time I will need to wait to see if this solved the problem.
Thanks for your help I really appreciate it. !
Now, I hope I can get to the bottom of the problem causing a recipient of my attachments to get them 10-15 times
I have a love/hate relationship with technology. :) :@

Last night I did quite a bit of research on Mac's . The Mac OS has languages including Asian font and the FAQ here has directions on how to install Japanese. So, that question has been answered.
Based on what it will cost to fix my computer I may buy a new one.
Thanks everyone!
Barbara
Last edited by crowfeather on Sat 10.06.2007 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
crowfeather

Postby Dehitay » Sat 10.06.2007 12:16 pm

crowfeather wrote:

As far as the multiple emails I sent 5 different people an email with a different attachment in each one. They all got 10-15 copies of the email.
When I had the computer tech here he said my Operating System was corrupt which is why he reformatted it. But that didn't solve the problem
When you say what email service do I use do you mean my ISP or Outlook?
Barbara

By e-mail service, I mean do you use hotmail, yahoo, gmail, or something else? Also, if you're using Outlook, there are more options than usual so it's easy to mess something up. However, I don't see why the same problem would persist after reformatting. I would suggest signing up for a hotmail account and a yahoo account. Then using those sites instead of Outlook, e-mail yourself at your different accounts and see if you're picking up more than 1 copy when you send.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Return to General off topic