Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What's wrong with hiragana?

What's wrong with hiragana?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: What's wrong with hiragana?

Postby hungryhotei » Tue 11.27.2007 11:40 am

The issue wasn't between women's hand and female's hand - it's that in your post it looks like you were talking about the meaning of 平仮名, not of 女手.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 11.27.2007 12:04 pm

nope, I never compared any of the kanji..

In fact I believe hiragana loosely means the females hand or the lesser hand or something like that. Women, originally were not allowed to use Kanji at all, so hiragana was their only way to write.

as you can see here, I used the words "hiragana loosely means" which means that the definition to follow would not be a "perfect translation".. that is all, not sure how anyone could be confused by that.
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Tue 11.27.2007 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby hungryhotei » Tue 11.27.2007 12:12 pm

But the point is that hiragana doesn't mean women's hand, loosely or otherwise, onnade does!

nope, I never compared any of the kanji..

I never said you did.
Last edited by hungryhotei on Tue 11.27.2007 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 11.27.2007 3:25 pm

you know what, you are right. I don't know what I was thinking.. i still don't know what I was thinking either.. this is what I meant to type..

"Hiragana were originally called onnade or 'women's hand' as it was used mainly by women - men wrote in kanji and katakana"

my error was saying hiragana = female's/women's hand when I meant to say, hiragana was called female's/women's hand originally..

now that I confused everyone.. :o
two_heads_talking

Previous

Return to General off topic