Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Stress Help?

Stress Help?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Stress Help?

Postby Kisshu » Sun 10.28.2007 9:23 pm

Ok. Before I start, I want to say.... I DON'T WANT PITY. I want suggestions XD Otherwise I wouldn't be on there. So if you don't have something useful to say, please refrain from saying anything... aherm.

Never in my life have I been so stressed. Right now, I am 16 years old and doing PSEO (going full-time to college with the government paying it.) I was an A-average student so I thought it would be a breeze. Let's just say... it's not.

Because I am not full time PSEO (I take one class at my highschool) I have to get up early to go to class then go to college afterwards. I stay at college until 3 or 5 depending on the day. I get home, teach piano lessons, nanny the neighbor's kids and then do homework. I dont' have any me-time any more. I'm getting maybe 5 hours of sleep a night.

This past week, I have had no motivation whatsoever. I have been moving so slowly that I haven't gotten assignments in on time and everything. Right now I think I'm at a B-average, which isn't bad, but it's not what I was hoping for. My dad expects a lot out of me, and I don't want him (or me) to be disappointed. My stress has also escalated in my personal life. My Grandpa and my dog are dying and I'm sick.

My motivation is seriously lack and my stress is elevation. I have a ten page report as well as 4 finals at the end of this November. I have to get my game together. Any suggestions (especially for motivation?)
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

RE: Stress Help?

Postby chikara » Sun 10.28.2007 9:36 pm

You sound as if you have too much on your plate. This may be one reason why you are sick or not recovering from your illness. This is a vicious circle to get into as the more stressed you are the sicker you will get, the harder it will be for you to cope with your workload so your stress level will increase compounding your sickness. You need sleep.

My suggestion would be to drop the piano lessons of the nannying or both even if just for the short term until you can get over your illness and the situation with your grandpa and dog run to their logical conclusion.

Take care.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby HeyItsMatt » Sun 10.28.2007 10:12 pm

I agree with Chikara. It sounds like you just need to drop some things and prioritize on what's most important, instead of trying to do everything at once. It might seem strange, but if you do so many things at once that you're getting overwhelmed, it has the opposite effect and you do less well and get less things done overall - especially if you're not getting enough sleep.

I remember people in college studying for hours and hours on a test, skipping sleep so they could study overnight, and ultimately doing worse because being exhausted during the test itself negated any benefits of the studying they did. It's like people nowadays have this idea that every hour must be filled with doing something, and somehow a little rest is a "waste".

Also, you shouldn't worry about your dad. If you're a 16 year old student taking college classes, getting A's and B's, and you can play the piano, it sounds like he should be very proud of you. I'm sure he'd understand why you need to cut down on some of your activities - if not, he'd be quite unreasonable.
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

Postby ss » Sun 10.28.2007 10:36 pm

Aches, sick, anxiety attacks, mood swings --- are just some of the symptoms you get when you are overly stressed. While stress is unavoidable, you can lessen the effects of stress.

Perhaps you should learn to pamper yourself by taking time out to relax, even a 20 minutes break can help. It could be to simply listen to some music, go for a jog or a swim or some simple exercises. A warm bath after that can help relaxing the nerves and muscles, you are able to sleep more easily.

I’m glad to hear that you can play piano! :p Playing piano can help to soothe your anxiety.

Personally, I just feel that rest and sleep well are the most essential elements in coping stress. When you can’t think clearly and react promptly, nothing else is worth for an advice.

Rest well, stay healthy and God Bless!
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby Near » Sun 10.28.2007 11:22 pm

Take some time to enjoy doing things that you like. Setting aside an hour a day or something like that to reward yourself for doing well in school could make a big difference. Pushing yourself that hard at 16 will have you burned out before you even turn 18, so try to lighten the load.
- Kenton
Near

Postby tanuki » Sun 10.28.2007 11:28 pm

I agree with chikara completely.

Of course, you're free to order your priorities the way you want, but maybe your health should come first (i.e. getting enough sleep), then college and then all the other activities.

Getting more sleep is something you should try doing right away.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 10.29.2007 5:30 am

Count me as another vote for scraping some of that crap off your plate.

Prioritize and minimize.

As Inspector Callahan of the San Francisco Police Department taught us over 30 years ago, "A man's got to know his limitations."

There's not much point in loading one's self down with so much stuff that one's performance suffers and/or one becomes bitchy and irritable.

So unless you're just itching to know the joy of an ulcer, stress-induced diarrhea, to have a breakdown, or to turn into an insufferable bitch, cut some stuff out.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 10.29.2007 9:49 am

Countme as an advocate of scaling back. there is nothing worse than a teenager who tries to overload themself.
Being a teen is stressful all in itself.
Take a look at your schedule, see what you must have and what you can toss out. Discuss this with your school councelors and your parents(or other adults responsible for you), then discuss it with yourself. In the end, you can't control everything you deal with, but you can control everything you choose to deal with..
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Mon 10.29.2007 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 10.29.2007 10:53 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
In the end, you can't control everything you deal with, but you can control everything you choose to deal with..

You made me recall back when I was about 18 or 19 discovering one of the keys to sanguine tranquility....I read "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and discovered that wonderful acronym, "S.E.P."

Somebody Else's Problem
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby katafei » Mon 10.29.2007 11:52 am

Hi Kisshu,

Well, read all this good advice thoroughly and take it to heart!!
Take things a little slower and take time out every now and then! The world wil not stop turning if you do.
Can you talk to your father about scrapping some things of that list of yours?

Most of all: stay well.....
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Return to General off topic