Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Overnight writer

Overnight writer

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Overnight writer

Postby Hijiku » Wed 11.07.2007 11:23 am

Recently, an old friend of mine has decided to make me the storyboard writer for the manga he hopes to create.

so far all we have are Character descriptions and a plot for the first 1/2 of the first book. im starting to think we may be in over our heads. dose anyone have any tips for Albert and I on anything relating to creation of manga, all input would be much appreciated.

thankyou!!

PS. for the written storybord thus far, PM me or E-Mail me at Hijiku4342@aol.com
your life is meaningless, like a glow-stick.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny!!
(")_(")
Hijiku

RE: Overnight writer

Postby Kisshu » Wed 11.07.2007 12:07 pm

Don't give up after the first couple pages... I did that CONSTANTLY.
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby Gundaetiapo » Wed 11.07.2007 8:45 pm

Plan your deployment.
Gundaetiapo

Native language: English

Postby Noob » Wed 11.07.2007 8:56 pm

Writing Manga is no different than writing any other story. First off. write down all your ideas. Keep a notebook just for that reason. Figure out what you want to say, and make a list of characters. Then, give each character a personality, and write your story accordingly. You will write a few drafts, if your any good, so don't get discouraged.
Noob

Postby Hijiku » Thu 11.08.2007 10:55 am

Kisshu>> I never quit when it comes to something im REALLY interested in, though i have been tempted to.

Gundaetiapo>> i will as soon as we have at least seven volumes ready for the public.

Noob>> Good advice, and honestly, i have had several ideas for mangas. im thinking i could compile them all into the one im currently drafting up.

to show how much i appreciate your help, heres the opening sequence of Vol. 1 it's still under construction, so any edits would help. Enjoi!

OPENING SCENE
Part one, volume one

*hovering words above two figures facing each other read “there are basically two forms of majick,”
*shows a figure clad in white* “..good..”
*shows figure clad in black* “..and evil.”
[figure in white speaking in low voice] “In Nomine Patris et Fili, et Spiritu Sancte.”
*black figure with an evil raspery-ish voice] “Negate. In est patroium, par for in sancte et spiritus.”
*a beam of white and gold erupts from the extended hand of the white figure while a black and purple beam shoots from the hand of the black figure.*
[black] “you cannot win. You’re too weak.”
[white] *muttering quietly* “In Nomine Patris et Fili, et Spiritu Sancte.” *repeats twice*
[B] “damn you to Hell!”
[W] “sorry, but there is no place in hell for me-”
*white beam grows stronger. Power clash inches tword Black figure.*
[W] “-as there is no place in heven-“
*white strains to create more powering a final pulse *
[W] “-for YYYOOOOUUU!!!!”
*blast of white light envelops Black figure*
*white is breathing heavily and is slumped forward facing a massive crater*
[W] “*pant**pant* that takes care of him.”
*White falls forward exhausted*

~~~~~

Hiroshi awakes in his bed. Moonlight is streaming into the room. Hiro is a 17 year-old buy in High school. he has messy white hair, and purple eyes. unlike most of his friends, he rather small for his age.

His room is a mess. Posters line the walls, books on Roman and Latin spellwords are piled ontop of a dresser. A small LED alarm clock reads 3:00.
*Hiro glances at the clock* “ugh, dammit. Why am I having that dream again? This is the fifth time this week.”
Rolling over in his bed, Hiro steals a glance out his window.
*Hiro thinking to himself* “what the hell was that? I must be seeing things”
*closes eyes, asleep*
camers view shows Hiro sleeping through the window. then zooms out to a rooftop 1/2km away. a black hooded figure is showen watching Hiro. "Hmm..."
The figure vanishes.

So, what do ya think?

(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny!!
(")_(")
Hijiku

Postby Hijiku » Thu 11.08.2007 11:21 am

it's either this or a Shonen-ai, and i'm pretty sure the moderators wouldn't appreciate that kind of romance on this site, which i understand and respect.*avoids Zeos gaze*(please don't ban me!! i only wish to speak my mind! >.<)

(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny!!
(")_(")
Hijiku

Postby tanuki » Thu 11.08.2007 1:24 pm

I don't see why shonen-ai wouldn't be "appreciated", as long as it's not explicit. I'd be extremely disappointed if moderators wouldn't allow it.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby jenl » Thu 11.08.2007 1:59 pm

As this is for a manga, you have to think in terms of panels and pages. Will you have all colour, or mostly black and white with a few colour pages? How much detail does Albert want in the storyboarding?

For example:
First Page, three panels, one up, two down.
First panel: Your 'hovering words' at top, below which is the establishing scene - the two figures, in the battlefield or wherever it is, taken from a distance.
Second panel: Close up on white figure, upper body or just head/shoulders as you like, “In Nomine Patris et Fili, et Spiritu Sancte.”
Third panel: Close up on black figure, a reflection of the second panel, “Negate. In est patroium, par for in sancte et spiritus.” (perhaps using different fonts to reflect voice tone - although facial expression also goes a long way)

In the second page, maybe four panels equally sized - one showing the 'energy clash' + some dialogue, then close up on White for his lines, then Black being overcome, then White slumped in front of the crater.

Third page goes to Hiroshi. (All the info about him - age, looks - should go into a separate list of character info). Say, one large panel up, three down. Large panel shows the room, him (awake, staring at the clock, thinking about the dream, etc), the books, and all that. First small panel below shows him looking out the window, confused (perhaps hint at the figure on the rooftop). Second, show the figure outside with an angle so we can see in through Hiro's window. Third, same scene - now he is gone.

Try looking through a manga of a similar genre to yours that you really like the design/pacing of, and look at how the pages are divided, where the text boxes are, how they handle scene changes or fights, all that. How many pages is each volume going to be? Where are your cliffhangers going to go?

(I have a personal prejudice against the word 'majick' also, but don't mind me, I'm old and grumpy.)
jenl

Postby Hijiku » Fri 11.09.2007 10:53 am

Tanuki>> I believe it was a mod who said to me that people have a tendancy to have extreame views of sexual orentation, both political and social, and bringing up such conversations would lead to alot of bashing tword us.(or as they put it, "you people")

Jenl>> mostly black and white, maby a couple of pages will have color, but again i dont do the art, that's Alberts strong point. my part in this manga is the storyboard, action sequences, dialouge, and descriptions for everything written on paper for Al to turn into pictures. after showing Al your ideas for the visual setup, i believe his exact words were, "that was my plan to begin with." so it seems you two are on the same page, so to speak. do you have a manga of your own? you seem talented enough. :D

btw, i noticed you live in Bath. funny, there's a town here in New York, (in Livingston county) called Bath. huh, who knew?
Last edited by Hijiku on Fri 11.09.2007 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny!!
(")_(")
Hijiku

Postby richvh » Fri 11.09.2007 11:09 am

Lots of towns in upstate New York named for European cities.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Hijiku » Fri 11.09.2007 11:12 am

would Letchworth happen to be one of them?

(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny!!
(")_(")
Hijiku

Postby tanuki » Fri 11.09.2007 11:56 pm

Hijiku wrote:
Tanuki>> I believe it was a mod who said to me that people have a tendancy to have extreame views of sexual orentation, both political and social, and bringing up such conversations would lead to alot of bashing tword us.(or as they put it, "you people")

Two things:

1) By showing your shonen-ai manga ideas, you aren't going to start a conversation about sexual orientation. Any such comment would be off-topic and wouldn't belong in the thread.

2) Saying that one shouldn't start a (mature) conversation on sexual orientation lest it provoke gay bashing is throwing out the baby with the bath water. As far as I know, there is freedom of speech (to a reasonable extent, at least) in this board, so the moderators should not prohibite those threads, but keep an eye on them to avoid gross intolerance (from any side).

I'm sorry if I caused this thread to go off-topic, but I felt it was necessary to express this.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Hijiku » Tue 11.13.2007 10:57 am

very good points. nah, all threads eventually get a bit off topic, no big deal as long as we remember why the forum was written in the first place. ;)

keeping with the topic at hand, i have an idea for the title.

"In Cold Blood"

what do ya think?

(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny!!
(")_(")
Hijiku

Postby tanuki » Tue 11.13.2007 1:15 pm

Ah, like the book by Truman Capote. I'm reading it right now. :)
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Hijiku » Tue 11.13.2007 4:31 pm

the title is already taken!?

*ugh* i never catch a break.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny!!
(")_(")
Hijiku

Return to General off topic