Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is it just me?

Is it just me?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Is it just me?

Postby kitamichibi » Thu 11.08.2007 1:19 pm

eeto.., I'll admit that I was one of the many with a 'Konnichiwa' introductory post. To be fair though, when you're a newbie and don't really know much japanese the only thing you probably know is 'konnichiwa' or would you rather someone saying "Hello everyone, I'm a newbie and I seriously don't understand japanese yet, much less writing in it, so bear with me..."?
私は弱虫です[わたしはよわむしです]
kitamichibi

Postby Aki_4 » Thu 11.08.2007 1:28 pm

It's just a fact that as a beginner that's gonna happen. As learners we should all be able to empathize, be patient and understand the challenges and joys of language learning.
Aki_4

Postby Dehitay » Thu 11.08.2007 1:39 pm

I guess if you wanted you could write a FAQ of sorts that helps them learn how to give a self introduction in Japanese and sticky it to the introduction section.

はじめまして。(your name here)です。
<bunch of optional sayings for giving information such as (age in number of years)歳です>
どうぞよろしく

Help them learn Japanese in addition to giving them something to say
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby Kisshu » Thu 11.08.2007 2:08 pm

Hah... I'm surprised that this thread is still alive O_o

Yes, it's just you, Kisshu.

Thanks for clearing that up, Tanuki. ;)
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby Igirisu_gaz » Thu 11.08.2007 8:16 pm

I feel strangely compelled to add a post here as for some reason this thread is still rampaging along. Leave the new guys alone, I'll bet most of us went through that time when all they could do is scrawl "konnichiwa" in romaji ^^
何でやねん?
Igirisu_gaz

Postby hungryhotei » Thu 11.08.2007 8:45 pm

I don't think imagination in the titles of introduction topics should really have much connection with that poster's level of Japanese.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 11.09.2007 6:14 am

kitamichibi wrote:
eeto.., I'll admit that I was one of the many with a 'Konnichiwa' introductory post. To be fair though, when you're a newbie and don't really know much japanese the only thing you probably know is 'konnichiwa' or would you rather someone saying "Hello everyone, I'm a newbie and I seriously don't understand japanese yet, much less writing in it, so bear with me..."?

Folks who find such threads irritating can always do what I do, which is to never ever ever visit the self-introduction subforum. I have it blocked so it doesn't even display on the forum list.

The only time I find such behavior exasperating is when the people who know how to say almost nothing other than "konnichiwa" start a thread encouring everyone to chat in Japanese....and very quickly find that they've shot their entire conversational wad in their first post.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby AJBryant » Fri 11.09.2007 5:12 pm

Mike, you speak with the voice of truth.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Kisshu » Sat 11.10.2007 10:45 pm

XD.

This got mroe response that I thought it would haha. Seems like I AM the only one bugged XDD
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Sat 11.10.2007 10:52 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
The only time I find such behavior exasperating is when the people who know how to say almost nothing other than "konnichiwa" start a thread encouring everyone to chat in Japanese....and very quickly find that they've shot their entire conversational wad in their first post.

Ugh, and then they get pissed off when people who know a little bit more than that are practicing and speaking to the best of their abilities and the konnichi-wa kids are like, "Speak at a lower level! I suck at this >.<'

That happened on the one thread I used to post on. Every once in a while someone would complain and we would use furigana for like 2 posts until they left >.<
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Forgetmaenot » Sun 11.11.2007 12:02 am

RE:I feel strangely compelled to add a post here as for some reason this thread is still rampaging along. Leave the new guys alone, I'll bet most of us went through that time when all they could do is scrawl "konnichiwa" in romaji ^^

Igirisu_gaz... I'm there now I can only remember about 1/3 of the kana and I write all of my study notes all 4 ways kanji/kana/romanji/english in that order as I find them eventually I'll get comfortable enough to peel away one of those layers I'm sure but I've been studying it all for about 3 months now and when all my friends and family look at my notes they go all that already! Some of it sticks in my head some of it doesn't I'll just keep cramming it in there 'til it falls out the other side. All so I can read sewing and crochet magazines/websites what motivation! That and the fact that is on all the packages at work so its in my face everyday. And we have to exercise to Radio Exercise no. 1 everyday so I'm not exactly getting away from it. The sad thing is I actually started to try learning chinese and somehow I got sucked sideways ;) The funniest thing is its contagious when I tell people well you can speak 3 words already and you don't know it they listen I tell them pen,donut and tomato, and explain the loan words thing.Then later on I'll share the word of the day(whatever I'm trying to learn that day) and everylast one will try to repeat the word :) and If offer to show them my notes they'll take it and look and if I write a copy they take it my "trash notes" never get throwed away. So I guess please be patient and Hey my onamae is Betty Mae hehe.
Live, Love, Learn, Laugh,
Forgetmaenot
Forgetmaenot

Previous

Return to General off topic