Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - what level is horn written in?

what level is horn written in?

Questions, discussions and translations on Murakami's Yoru no kumozaru

what level is horn written in?

Postby TrilinguisT » Wed 04.19.2006 5:27 pm

??

is it fluency level or just like everyone-friendly understandable level?

if my question is confusing:
here in the US, newspapers are written at a seventh grade level for everyone to comprehend... is horn written at a certain level for a wide range of readers to understand as welll?
TrilinguisT

RE: what level is horn written in?

Postby Mukade » Thu 04.20.2006 12:17 am

Murakami's style is generally pretty accessible. His grammar usage can sometimes be a little un-Japanese, but this is because he developed his writing style by first writing stories in English, and then translating them into Japanese. So the grammar often tends to be a touch English-esque (something that makes reading him easier for us English-speaking Japanese learners!).

I think what most people would find difficult with Murakami's work would be the ideas he is writing about, rather than how he writes about them. His stories tend to the surreal, and this dream-like quality can sometimes make understanding a bit tricky. If you are aware of this before-hand, however, you shouldn't have too much trouble with his work. He is far more accessible, in my opinion, than say Kafka (whom he is often compared to).

You might want to pick up one of his works in English (he has been heavily translated) - that might give you a chance to see what his themes are like. If you do so, however, avoid anything that's been translated by Jay Rubin. He is far too liberal with his translation of Murakami - to the point of completely re-writing sections (the English ending to Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is completely different from the original!).

Philip Gabriel's translations are much better. Murakami's latest to be translated - Kafka on the Shore - is a good one, and translated by Gabriel.
Mukade

Native language: English

RE: what level is horn written in?

Postby TrilinguisT » Thu 04.20.2006 5:55 pm

oh.... i see, thank you... i think i can understand what he's saying, but its just his vocabulary that baffles me.
TrilinguisT

Return to 夜のくもざる Discussions