Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - PS1= エピデミック?!?!

PS1= エピデミック?!?!

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

PS1= エピデミック?!?!

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 10.03.2008 12:15 am

Very random and off-topic, but I thought it might be funny to some people.

Sometimes when I'm bored I like to fool around with Google's machine translator. I was doing this just now, translating a recent post on my blog just to see what kind of a mish-mash Google would come up with, but I got a very weird result.

My original English sentence was: "I originally played this game on the PS1.", which got turned into 「私は当初、エピデミックでこのゲームをプレーした。」Pretty standard machine-translation wharrgarbl, but then I noticed 「エピデミック」. How the heck does PS1 turn into epidemic? Is there some kind of disease called PS1 that I've never heard of? I've never heard it used as anything but Play-station One or perhaps Public School One in New York City.

(Incidentally, entering エピデミック into the J==>E translator produces epidemic, as would be expected.)
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Re: PS1= エピデミック?!?!

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 10.03.2008 12:42 am

That's really amusing.

The *only* link I can find between PS and an epidemic is Phosphatidylserine (Abbreviation PS) which is a chemical common in Bovine brains, which in turn could have been linked to BSE. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphatidylserine

Other than that, NO clue. ;)

interestingly, PS translates to 化, while Platstation is correct.
PS2 = プレステ
PS3 = PS3の

How random.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Re: PS1= エピデミック?!?!

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 10.03.2008 10:49 pm

Harisenbon wrote:That's really amusing.

The *only* link I can find between PS and an epidemic is Phosphatidylserine (Abbreviation PS) which is a chemical common in Bovine brains, which in turn could have been linked to BSE. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphatidylserine

Other than that, NO clue. ;)

Hmmm. Weird. Thanks for the info, though.

I actually play around with the Google translator quite regularly because in terms of bizarre WTF??? translations it never disappoints.

For example I put in another blog entry this morning: 「日本語になおしてしまえば雰囲気が変わってしまいます。」 and Google gave me: "If the Japanese atmosphere Reinsert has changed." Reinsert? Is this re-insert or perhaps some German guy? Anyway, it's always good for a laugh.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Return to Games