Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What if there was a game to learn japanese?

What if there was a game to learn japanese?

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

What if there was a game to learn japanese?

Postby kentaku_sama » Wed 01.27.2010 5:23 pm

I think it would be awesome if they'd come out with a ps3 or wii game that taught you japanese.
And no I don't mean spaced repetition or just learn kana I mean a game that would force you to understand it because you don't get anywhere else in the game until you get what It's already taught you. for example if it gave the kanji 改 You'd have to click か and い on the screen and may'be each kana were falling from the sky as balloons not giving you hardly anytime to think you had to be quick. And may'be someone spoke something without subtitles and you had to click an appropriate answer. It would even teach you grammar things like sentence structure, particles, verb tenses, casual and polite forms, ect... What's your opinion?
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: What if there was a game to learn japanese?

Postby no_kaze_remaining » Thu 07.08.2010 11:44 am

That would be interesting indeed. I think that could actually help the ones who want to improve their writing and speaking skills. Now the only thing remaining is to persuade some game producing company to come up with this sort of game.
no_kaze_remaining

Native language: Romanian

Postby kingkatimari » Fri 07.23.2010 1:39 pm

Knuckles in China Land is kinda like these, just not as good. You might want to check it out. It's a free download for the computer.
kingkatimari

Postby john2 » Wed 03.16.2011 7:31 pm

sounds awesome what about a game like that for inuktitut? or [insert long list of really difficult languages]...
hmm?
john2

Postby Dustin » Wed 03.16.2011 8:10 pm

Sorry AJBryant, I gotta steal one from you here.....

Dustin

Postby swede_773 » Fri 03.18.2011 3:17 am

well it would be cool to play an adventure game to learn japanese.
Like web based java or something where u can click on rooms for school, resturant ,airport......
Lets say we go in the resturant, there are people,meny, waterbottles, chairs, table.... and a blank dictionary frame. Now u need to explore and click on everything wich will tell u what it is in japanese and it will go to the dictinary frame once u clicked it ( the word).
The more u click on and learn the japanese word for it there will be another frame filling up with conversation words, Then when u clicked on all the items in the room u can talk to the waitress and order from the meny or ask questions to her/him.

And maybe u could use drag and paste the words from the dictionary and will get u scores on the sentences. Like if u order some food and u manages to get the waitress to understand u get lets say 70% and u try again making the sentence more polite and better japanese u will get 100% on that sentence.
Ofcourse u should be able to type yourself rather than copy/paste if u want to. Maybe even toggle kanji on/off too for the ones just started to learn japanese.( like me)

it would be cool to just explore the room and try elaborate with different sentences about what u can say/discuss in a resturant.

This is way out of my league but i wish someone would do it. Wonder how long that would take for a java programmer to make :)

feel free to discuss the idea...
swede_773

Native language: swedish

Postby Zvono11 » Fri 03.18.2011 1:24 pm

That would be really a great game.

I must say that that there is something similar, that's Talkman produced for PSP. It's a game, in which you can practice your Japanese/German/Spanish/English/Italian or French skills.....

The only problem is that, that it's a bit borring and loading goes slowly :S
I own that game, so I'm telling you that from my own experiance
PSN ID: Zvono

日本の車が大すきです.
Zvono11

Native language: Croatian

Postby swede_773 » Sat 03.19.2011 6:12 am

Thats cool Zvono11 i might check that up.
swede_773

Native language: swedish

Postby Zvono11 » Sat 03.19.2011 9:35 am

swede_773 wrote:Thats cool Zvono11 i might check that up.

Yeah, check out the following link:
http://www.gamespot.com/psp/puzzle/talkman/index.html
PSN ID: Zvono

日本の車が大すきです.
Zvono11

Native language: Croatian

Postby ocapehorn » Sat 03.19.2011 6:27 pm

Hey - such a game actually exists - it's called NihongoUp and there's more information here: :)

http://nihongoup.com/desktop-apps/
ocapehorn

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Sat 06.25.2011 1:10 am

swede_773 wrote:This is way out of my league but i wish someone would do it. Wonder how long that would take for a java programmer to make :)

It would be difficult to program what sentences are allowable or have good grammar, and even if someone tried, it would never be perfect. There will always be exceptions. Just think of L.A. Noire. A lot of complaints I get are that you can't play the game "the way you want to play it." You'd think so-and-so is acceptable and makes sense, but there's only one answer.

Another hard thing is to create the images for the game. Someone else would likely have to create the images separately from the programmer.

It could take a couple of weeks depending on the scale of the game and its quality.
Cyborg Ninja

Return to Games