Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Game of the Year 2010

Game of the Year 2010

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

Game of the Year 2010

Postby babala6547 » Mon 01.10.2011 10:18 am

So... what were you biggest games of 2010? For me it's easy.

Game of the Year
Red Dead Redemption - (Best graphics, Best Gameplay, Best Story, Best Music & Best DLC (Undead Nightmare)). This game is the first GTA-style game I cared about enough to complete. Previous games like this ended up boring me, I'd get annoyed with the characters and the driving mechanic just became too frustrating. But with RDR I was hooked from start to finish. I was genuinely emotional at some of the events in the game and laughed out loud several times during the Undead Nightmare. This game is a work of genius and a master-class of how games should be made. I cant wait for the inevitable follow up!

Special Mentions
Limbo - One of my favourite XBL game ever (Along with Trials HD, Marble Blast Ultra and Pinball FX2). I played this game over and over and loved every moment of it. I even got the cheeve for completing the game in one sitting with five or less deaths! I found the starkness refreshing (if that makes sense) and even tho it VERY short, it was well worth the 1200 points I paid for it!
Pinball FX2 - If ever a game had too much "just one more go" factor, this is it. It's got millions* of tables to choose from and each one is quite unique. The new Marvel tables are brilliant but avoid the Street Fighter 2 table from PBFX1. It's Waaaah-haaa-haaaa-hank!
Alan Wake - I think it was just released at the wrong time. I really REALLY enjoyed this game, it was atmospheric and spooky in a way no other game is. "Supernatural thriller" doesn't do it justice. Shame a follow-up is unlikely, despite what the final DLC pack would have you believe!
Blur - It's brilliant. Really it is... it was well received by the critics but failed to ignite the fires of the masses. A real shame as it's huge fun online!

Best games I didn't play/own yet
Fluidity (WiiWare) - Looks awesome, not out in the PAL reigon til Dec 23rd (Trailer)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Borrowed it, played it for a few hours, loved it and and to give it back (sad face). I need to pick it up for myself!
Professor Leyton and the Unwound Future - Hopefully Santa is bringing this for me. If it's as good as the previous two, I'm in for a treat!
A Shadow's Tale (aka "Lost in Shadow") - Another game I'm hoping to get for xmas. A fantastic puzzle game for the Wii that looks like one of the few "must buy" titles. I'd have picked it up already if I wasn't put on a game embargo by Mrs Cheex the moment she started doing her xmas shopping! (Trailer)
And Yet It Moves (Wiiware) - Another awesome (quirky looking) game... and I'll be picking this up over the holidays to see what it's all about. I'm intrigued by the art style (torn paper). (Trailer)

Best games I only played this year that came out prior to 2010 ago
Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars - A brilliant port of a 1996 classic. I got the The "directors cut" of the game with re-drawn artwork and animations by Dave Gibbons (Watchmen graphic novel and Beneath A Steel Sky) on the DS. I just wish they would port the excellent sequel and BASS to the DS as it's the perfect platform for old-skool point and click adventures.

Things to look forward to in 2011
Killzone 3
Fez (Trailer)
Portal 2
Resistance 3
Uncharted 3
Batman: Arkham City
Back to the Future
Gears of War 3
The Last Guardian
Pixeljunk Shooter 2
babala6547