Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Some questions about Nintendo DS

Some questions about Nintendo DS

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

Some questions about Nintendo DS

Postby LordOfTheFlies » Mon 01.29.2007 8:10 am

These questions are regarding modding which is sorta illegal, so if you think it's against the rules then go ahead and delete it right away.

So I was wondering if anyone knows anything about modding a Nintendo DS, I've heard that you're supposed to be able to even emulate NES and SNES roms which would be a good reason for me to get one, other than the few games I really want for the DS.

So does anyone know if you can emulate SNES and NES ROMs on a modded DS? And does anyone know an approximate of what it would cost?

I would also like to tell you that I don't really like to do illegal things, but I just can't afford paying for all the games... And I do want to be able to emulate games too. Other than that I'm probably going to buy a Nintendo DS I'm also buying a Nintendo Wii, a new electrical guitar and an acoustic guitar and I'm just a 17 year old student with pretty much no income at all. So please don't give me any such comments as that I'm greedy or so, I've had most of Nintendo's consoles in the past too so I don't think I deserve it.
Last edited by LordOfTheFlies on Mon 01.29.2007 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordOfTheFlies

Native language: Swedish

RE: Some questions about Nintendo DS

Postby mamba » Mon 01.29.2007 8:32 am

I have a modded NDS, and no i dont think its illegal to talk about modded stuff. Your NDS is a peice of hardware that you bought, and you have every right to play around with it like modding. Its no different than buying a computer then adding more memory, etc... Talking about modding is like talking about drugs, its not illegal until someone asks "where do you get them." - which i mean the roms, which IS illegal.

SO, on to the questions. It can play NES and even Sega Genesis. It should cost around 50 USD, about 25 for a flashcart and another 25 for a 1gig microSD card, then a little extra if you dont have a sd card reader/writer.

For me the biggest factor which lead me to mod my DS is that fact that its homebase is in Japan, which means that plenty of awesome games are probably never going to make it here to the US.
mamba

Postby lemonaid » Mon 01.29.2007 8:35 am

I'm sorry, but I have to comment in a slightly negative manner due to some past experiences with theft and copyright infringement.

You said, "I don't really like to do illegal things, but I just can't afford paying for all the games."

Do you apply this logic when it comes to other products or other aspects of life as well? I can't afford a car so I'll steal it, I can't afford the CD so I'll steal it, I can't ace the test so I'll just as well cheat on it. Remember that someone put an effort into every product you use. They deserve to get paid for their work.

You also said: "I've had most of Nintendo's consoles in the past too so I don't think I deserve it."

Of course you do. I have three legal Windows XP keys but that doesn't justify me stealing a Vista key. This kind of logic doesn't compute.

I know this post won't stop you from anything, but I hope it'll make you look at lines of code or a series of zeros and ones as more than free information.
lemonaid

Postby paul_b » Mon 01.29.2007 8:35 am

LordOfTheFlies wrote:
I would also like to tell you that I don't really like to do illegal things, but I just can't afford paying for all the games...

Modding in order to be able to play SNES / ROM images is one thing, modding because "you can't afford paying for all the games" is another.

I'm not going to say "don't do it", or "it's illegal" but I will say

Not here, please. I'm sure there are dozens if not hundreds of sites out there - try one of them.

*THREAD LOCKED* (or at least it will be as soon as I set the moderator tag on this forum. ^ ^; )
Last edited by paul_b on Mon 01.29.2007 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
paul_b

Return to Games