Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What do your parents/family think of your music tastes?

What do your parents/family think of your music tastes?

Discuss Japanese movies and music.

What do your parents/family think of your music tastes?

Postby Pianogirl123 » Sun 05.18.2008 10:55 pm

assuming you don't live in japan or anything, of course. Almost no one I know (that attends my school) has ever heard of my favorite bands, even some of my friends who like anime. I played one of L'arc~en~cielsongs for my dad, and he said he thinks that japanese singers have a nasal, straining quality to their voices (I was outright insulted by that =( ). Even my brother listens to video game themes more than Jrock.
Pianogirl123

Re: What do your parents/family think of your music tastes?

Postby toshiee » Tue 05.27.2008 2:45 am

Usually my family makes fun of me from time to time lol. They don't understand how I can listen to something I barely understand...But it's pretty much about feeling the music, you know?
toshiee

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 05.27.2008 3:26 am

The opposite is also true though; millions of Japanese listen to and love Western music, although they only have a hazy (if any) idea of the meaning if the lyrics. As for me I love listening to Bollywood soundtracks and I haven't the faintest idea of whath they're singing about either, I just enjoy the rhythm and the melody.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby MeiLi » Sat 06.07.2008 5:34 am

My mom doesn't care too much. She thinks that a lot of the bands seem a bit too feminine though.
I have some friends who listen to J-Rock, J-Pop, etc and others who don't. The ones who don't usually tease me about it and the people at school always ask me, "Is that really a boy?" or "Are they gay?" (refering to Visual Kei bands). It gets annoying sometimes -___-".

becki_kanou wrote:I haven't the faintest idea of whath they're singing about either, I just enjoy the rhythm and the melody.

Exactly!!!
「ひそかに君を想うよ」
-彩冷える
MeiLi

Postby danceswithfire » Wed 06.11.2008 4:19 pm

My parents see J-pop as DDR (dance dance revolution) music. I think the Japanese know how to make true melodies/counter-melodies. Western music seems to repeat their rythms alot through out the song, and the Japanese make it unique and different. Go JAPANESE! You ROCK!
danceswithfire

Postby kanadajin » Wed 07.02.2008 8:32 pm

Well, when I used to listen to Japanese music. My mom thought I was nuts.
She would stand there and just glare in confusion at me. Scratching her head and all that :P
I would have to lie and say I knew what they were saying, of course she knew I didn't know.

Don't even get my started on my friends.

But I really didn't care, music is music. :)
kanadajin

Postby yukamina » Wed 07.02.2008 10:27 pm

My family's pretty understanding :) I managed to get my brother hooked on anime/jpop, even though he hates pop on the radio :? Now he listens to sickeningly cute stuff that I've (mostly) outgrown myself.
My mom likes my music as long as the rock songs aren't too heavy. She admits it's more interesting than the stuff she listens to.
yukamina

Postby Rizuk » Tue 07.22.2008 8:08 pm

My Dad used to hate my music and would always make me turn it off when we went somewhere in my car. My mom on the other hand likes most of the songs, but because she can't understand it she doesn't really "jam" (you know what I mean. When a song you like comes on you start rocking out and yelling the lyrics and stuff) she just kind of sways...lol If she really likes the song though, she'll sing the english lyric parts and do like the ending vowel sounds of words or something. Its cute ^^

But yeah...aside from my parents, my whole family makes fun of me for listening to it and often makes fun of the lyrics and stuff. It makes me angry...thus I don't particularly like my family, but that's beside the point.
Rizuk

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 07.23.2008 5:46 am

Pianogirl123 wrote:assuming you don't live in japan or anything, of course. Almost no one I know (that attends my school) has ever heard of my favorite bands, even some of my friends who like anime. I played one of L'arc~en~cielsongs for my dad, and he said he thinks that japanese singers have a nasal, straining quality to their voices (I was outright insulted by that =( ). Even my brother listens to video game themes more than Jrock.

What does living in Japan or not have to do with anything? Oh...I see. You're working from an unstated premise that the thread will be answered solely by fellow J-POP/J-ROCK fans.

My 74 year old father, who as a youth plowed many a field behind a mule, finds my taste in country music run for back into the old-skool gut-bucket country genre that was prevalent when he was young a bit odd. Country music died one sad day in 1981, when Gene Watson got a perm, but it had been in serious decline for a decade prior.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby Wakannai » Wed 07.23.2008 6:49 am

With the exception of Johnny Cash, I can't stand any country more modern than the 1940s.
Wakannai

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 07.23.2008 9:42 am

Wakannai wrote:With the exception of Johnny Cash, I can't stand any country more modern than the 1940s.

You need to get ahold of Marty Robbins. Gunslinger ballads are the shiznit. Plus oddly enough Johnny Cash and Marty Robbins have had a huge influence on some of the modern rock genre.
two_heads_talking

Postby RayMasaki » Thu 07.16.2009 12:21 am

yeah I know to many people are narrow minded my Girlfriend-sister- mom
have critisized it. i explain to those Dumb people Japanese people have liked
listen our Music for years, Why not listen to respect theirs?
RayMasaki

Postby chikara » Thu 07.16.2009 1:05 am

RayMasaki wrote:yeah I know to many people are narrow minded my Girlfriend-sister- mom
have critisized it. i explain to those Dumb people Japanese people have liked
listen our Music for years, Why not listen to respect theirs?

:o
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Mr.Paper » Sat 08.29.2009 1:27 pm

My parents don't listen to my music. Why would you want to share it with them?
Mr.Paper

Native language: Spanish

Postby JX » Fri 03.19.2010 1:50 am

My Dad doesn't even understand why i like japanese! He says " You're one of the first African-American girls I've ever seen so interested in Asain culture." It gets irratating. On the other hand my Mom doesn't seem to mind at all she, doesn't even pay attentin to it most of the time. It's so hard to find and make friends with kids/people who want to learn japanese or even listen to the bands. Can someone please be my friends with me, おねがいします? :D
JX

Next

Return to Japanese Movies and Music