Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - japanese subtitles for downloaded .avi files

japanese subtitles for downloaded .avi files

Discuss Japanese movies and music.

japanese subtitles for downloaded .avi files

Postby uberscheisse » Sun 02.08.2009 4:54 am

i've been downloading all my favorite western tv shows since i've been abroad.

but now i've got my lady living with me and she wants to get in on the daily flood of pure joy that is western television.

has anyone noticed a good source for japanese subtitles? .sfv files, i'm assuming, are the standard for most downloaded .avi, .divx or .mpeg files, as they're the only ones i've seen.
uberscheisse

Native language: 英語

Re: japanese subtitles for downloaded .avi files

Postby Hanaki » Sat 02.14.2009 6:39 pm

I get my subtittles from here http://www.opensubtitles.org not sure how many they have that are in Japanese. You can make request there also.
Hanaki

Native language: Engish

Postby koyama22 » Sat 02.21.2009 12:29 am

Check out Daddicts, this page: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/subtitles.php.

Many more English subtitles than Japanese, but they are there. Just scroll down past the English subs.
koyama22

Native language: English

Postby arvivlx » Fri 03.27.2009 4:38 am

its very hard to find subtitle for japanese stuff. i tride to get sub to some anime movies, and barely find anything. my problem now is that when i try to see the movie with the subtitle its shows a mess with all kind of letters, no japanese. but when i open the sub in Subtitle Workshop in Hangeul its shows japanese in the program, and i cant also copy the sub for translation.. can someone help me.. by the way i'm looking for mononoke hime and spirited away subs...
arvivlx

Postby AJBryant » Fri 03.27.2009 1:45 pm

You know those movies are in professional release *with* subs, right?
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 03.27.2009 4:14 pm

AJBryant wrote:You know those movies are in professional release *with* subs, right?

Perhaps the pirated version don't have the subs on them...?? :shock: :shock:
two_heads_talking

Postby arvivlx » Fri 03.27.2009 4:30 pm

they have english subs, i didnt find them with japanese subs
arvivlx

Postby ニッキー » Fri 03.27.2009 7:57 pm

AJBryant wrote:You know those movies are in professional release *with* subs, right?

That surely depends where you buy them! I have quite a few DVDs of Japanese films, but since they're UK releases, they only have English subtitles, not Japanese.
ニッキー

Native language: British English

Postby AJBryant » Sat 03.28.2009 2:45 am

Ah. My mind has just been blown.

I very very very very very seldom ever saw a Japanese film with Japanese subtitles. They're REALLY rare.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Sairana » Sat 03.28.2009 4:53 am

AJBryant wrote:Ah. My mind has just been blown.

I very very very very very seldom ever saw a Japanese film with Japanese subtitles. They're REALLY rare.

Tony

No support for the deaf? :(
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby AJBryant » Sat 03.28.2009 2:02 pm

Actually, pretty much no.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby nukemarine » Sat 03.28.2009 10:52 pm

Here's the part I don't get: You have Japanese anime that's released on DVD in Japan, with Japanese subtitles. They get distributed in the US with Japanese audio but WITHOUT the subtitles. Now, is there some reason this extra bit of data that already exists is not included?

Another thing I wish for: Dubbed English movies with Japanese subtitles that MATCH the dub. I have not seen one yet that's matched up. Yeah, it's not going to happen (same with English dubs here, right) but that's why it's a wish.

By the way, pretty much all recent Japanese movies, tv shows and anime in the last 5 years have kanji subtitles based on what I've seen. Granted, I'm not strolling through Tsutaya's older section much.
nukemarine

Postby keatonatron » Sun 03.29.2009 2:17 am

nukemarine wrote:Now, is there some reason this extra bit of data that already exists is not included?

When authoring DVD's, especially professionally, it's a big battle to get the best quality you can out of the medium--especially if your budget can only afford the 4.7 gb (single-layer) DVD's.

One track of subtitles can take 10 mb of space. One audio track can take about 220mb (or 1500 for surround sound). When re-encoding the Japanese DVD for a western market, they have to add in another audio track (if they include dubs) and another subtitle track (no matter what). Leaving in the original subtitles might not sound like a big deal to you, but to creators of the work, every single bit of space that they can leave for encoding their movie in a higher video quality is much appreciated. One problem I could imagine is that if a DVD is popular in Japan and warrants dual-layer discs, but only has a niche market overseas and therefore only gets a budget big enough for single-layer discs, the authors have to fit the same content in half as much space, which means if you don't rip out every non-essential item, you're going to have a hard time getting the movie to look as good as the original.

Frankly, the extra 10mb that you get from leaving out the original subs isn't going to change very much, but most people just remove every "non-essential" item. Most of them probably think "How many deaf Japanese people are living abroad? And how many foreigners can understand kanji but not spoken Japanese? Psh, none!" They usually don't think about the education aspects of commercial movies.
keatonatron

Return to Japanese Movies and Music