Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese drama

Japanese drama

Discuss Japanese movies and music.

Japanese drama

Postby soldieroH » Sun 05.29.2011 12:37 pm

I got bored with the anime so I decided to try out the japanese drama. But I don't know any popular titles or any titles at all. Could someone suggest me some good japanese drama?

I would like to watch something easy, comedy-like, something that I could learn japanese from because I want to start watching things in japanese without subtitles. (so basically something for a beginner) :D
soldieroH

Native language: Latvian

Re: Japanese drama

Postby Tesse23 » Sat 02.11.2012 3:42 pm

Hmm... if you are looking for a light hearted/ comedy I'd suggest something like "Nodame Cantabile", "sunao ni narenakute" or "Hotaru No Hikari".

Also, "Orange Days" is a really good one for learning both written and spoken Japanese, as one of the characters is unable to speak or hear, so a lot of the communication is by sign language with Japanese Subtitles. This is one of my all time favourite Doramas.

If you are looking for something a little heavier, then I'd reccomend "Sekai no chuushin de, ai wo sakebu", but make sure you keep the tissues to hand, it's a sad one!
感動的に終わるストーリー 始まりは
あの日君が言った "I Love You"
待ちきれないよ 後半スタート
Tesse23

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Mon 02.13.2012 4:12 am

I'm going to recopy a list here I wrote up on my little hobby forum... summing up all the dramas I've watched and enjoyed up until fairly recently.

We can call this "Phreadom's Favorite and recommended J-doramas" :mrgreen:

Phreadom / Justin wrote:Here is a list of the j-doramas I've watched that I've enjoyed. Please recommend some of your own favorites!

I'm listing them in alphabetical order, and I'll try to give some helpful notes on a few.
At Home Dad

Densha Otoko
A little hard to watch how difficult it is for the main character to accomplish things and to talk etc... but a great show none the less!

Dragon Zakura

Dr. Koto Shinryoujo
Made me want to move to the island! Much like Ruri no Shima in that sense.

Engine
I'm normally not into sports, but the story about family and foster children was very touching.

Gal Circle
Crazy! You'll probably either love or hate this one... you'll know what I mean by the end of the first episode. ;)

Galileo
A sort of scientific CSI that debunks and solves what appear to be paranormal crimes.

Gokusen
A little silly, but a great series. Classic.

GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka)
Like Dragon Zakura, this made me want to study. This is more light hearted where Dragon Zakura is more serious.

Haikei, Chichiue-sama
The hardship of leaving behind the old culture and ways to make way for the future.

Hana Yori Dango
I tried watching this show twice and couldn't get past the first half of the first episode... but when I finally made it past that, I watched both series and now consider it one of my favorites. It really is a great series once you get into it. Give it a chance! I'm glad I did.

Hanazakari no kimi tachi e

Iryu (Team Medical Dragon)
A rather serious show... more so than most. High quality.

Kekkon Dekinai Otoko
Abe Hiroshi is one of my favorite Japanese actors and this series is both a funny and serious look at a quirky architect who, as the title suggests, has trouble meeting a wife.

Kikenna Aneki

Last Christmas
This one was fun to watch and kept me guessing right until the end. (and another of my favorite soundtracks)

My Boss My Hero
Really over the top humor. Touching though as most of these are.

Nobuta wo Produce

Nodame Cantabile
Really made me want to pick up my sister's violins and start learning. Excellent series for the music alone... and the occasional humor that made me burst out laughing.

Orange Days
This made me want to learn sign language. Yet another awesome soundtrack and a great show.

Ruri no Shima
Like Dr.Koto Shinryoujo, this is set in the southern islands and really makes me feel envious of the kind of close knit community portrayed on the absolutely beautiful island.

Teru Teru Ashita
My first j-dorama. A little odd plot-wise, but it makes up for it.

Yasashii Jikan
One of the first j-doramas I watched and still one of my absolute favorites. The soundtrack to this is still my favorite to this day. The atmosphere of this has made me unable to ever forget Hokkaidou, and I'd love to visit the cafe in the forest used in the show someday.

I've linked the titles to their Damawiki entries so you can find out more information about them. Hopefully this helps you find something to watch!

Even if I didn't write something about one of them, it doesn't mean it wasn't still a great show... I just don't have anything important to say about them in particular. :) Check out the Dramawiki entries and see if they sound interesting to you... I can tell you that I enjoyed them!

These have been a great help for me in learning about Japan and listening to the language to see and hear the language in use. I've been so spoiled by these that I've largely stopped watching anime... and aside from the occasional exceptionally good animes, I almost exclusively watch j-doramas now.

Phreadom / Justin wrote:I'm back with another heaping helping of wonderful J-ドラマ for you! :D

Since it's been so long since my last post, I've had plenty of time to watch quite a few, and I've gone down the list and chosen the ones I particularly liked for one reason or another. There's some real gems in here too!

Binbo Danshi
This was just a fun sort of heartwarming story. As the description from the wiki says; "Koyama Kazumi is a poor but optimistic college student who firmly believing that there are more important things than money. Despite his own poverty he ends up taking on other people's debts and faces various challenges to pay off those debts."

Code Blue ( and "Code Blue - The Second Season")
Both seasons of this show were excellent quality. One of the real stand out series I've seen. Definitely one of my favorites.

Dr. Koto - Shinryoujo 2006
The first season of this is on the first list, but I'm adding this to my new list just to say that the sequel was equally enjoyable and shouldn't be missed if you enjoyed the first one. :)

Egao no Hosoku
I'm a huge Abe Hiroshi fan, so I may be a bit biased, but this was fun one to watch. :)

Futatsu no Spica
I love the space program, so again I might be a bit biased, but another nice drama.

Hikari to Tomo ni
This one was hard to watch sometimes, not because it wasn't good, but because it could be heartbreaking. :( It was about a mother learning to be the best mother she can be for her autistic son. A touching story.

Home Drama
A touching story about a group of people who are all survivors of a terrible accident in which they lose loved ones and end up deciding to live together in a home, and eventually become like family.

JIN
This ranks very high on my list... one of the highest quality dramas I've seen. I can't wait for the second (final) season next spring to wrap up the story!

Kaze no Garden
Emotional story about an estranged father who tries to secretly see his children again in the face of a terminal illness. Quality drama. :)

Kimi to ita mirai no tameni
This one was MIND BENDING... it's got some really weird visuals and feels right out of the 90's (when it was actually aired, in 1999)... but the surprise twists in the story kept me wanting to see more, to find out what the heck would happen next.

Konkatsu!
A nice romantic comedy focusing around friends and family. :) Quality drama.

Mop Girl
Another fun one to watch. :)
"Kitagawa plays the part of the slow but hardworking Momoko, a low-ranking employee at a funeral services company who carries a mop as part of her job. However, Momoko happens to possess a strange ability. Whenever she comes across the corpse of someone who has left strong feelings behind, she travels back in time to save that person from his or her fate."

MR. BRAIN
Fun show... can be a little scary/serious at times (as a crime type show), but I had fun watching the way his mind worked, and even learning some things in the process. :D

Okane ga Nai!
Quality early 90's drama about family and priorities.
"Kentaro lives in the suburbs with his two little brothers. They are poor, but they are happy. The factory Kentaro works for, though, goes bankrupt on pay day and Kentaro finds himself out of a job and with even less money. The brothers are thrown out of their apartment and Kentaro, a born optimistic until then, decides that he must aggressively pursue "money". This drama depicts the success story of Kentaro in his search for money and a better life."

Osen
"Handa Sen is the "okami" (proprietress) of a long-standing restaurant in one of the lower parts of Tokyo. Though she is normally airheaded and loves to drink, she has an impressive mastery of a wide range skills, from cooking to ceramics to calligraphy. While the drama follows various events surrounding the restaurant, one of the series' highlights is its illustration of Japanese food and culture."

Otomen
"The story centers around the popular high school boy Masamune Asuka, the top kendo fighter in the nation. However, beneath his cool exterior, he is actually fond of sweets and shojo manga, and is skilled in sewing and cooking. When he instantly falls for the transfer student Miyakozuka Ryo, his secret is in danger of being exposed."

Papa to Musume no Nanokakan
A hilarious and touching story. :D (father and daughter switch bodies)

Puzzle
If I remember correctly, this one was a bit scary/morbid at times (as with many of the crime dramas where the characters must solve the mysteries), but fun to see how they solve the mysteries. :) (it's a mystery/comedy show, so you get the laughs too)

Q.E.D
I remember this one standing out a bit as one of my favorites. :) I tend to like the family type dramas, and the mystery solving ones (and the fun twists on both of them). This show falls in the latter category. :)

Shibatora
Police comedy. :) Quality drama.

Shimokita
WARNING: Because of the nudity presented in these episodes, the drama may not be suitable for some viewers.
This was a really fun drama, but like it says, definitely more adult oriented. ;)

Shiroi Haru
Another of my favorites (and another Abe Hiroshi drama!). VERY good show.
"Former yakuza Haruo is finally released from prison after completing his sentence. With nine years worth of prison gratuities in hand, he stops at a restaurant to enjoy a good meal, but all of his money ends up being stolen. With nothing left, he spends the night at a net cafe, and he manages to look up his old friend from his yakuza days. When Haruo visits the next day, he learns that his old girlfriend Mariko was living with another man, but later died of illness. Haruo, who had committed murder 9 years earlier to earn the money for Mariko's medical treatment, is shocked and angered. He decides to track down that other man, who runs a bakery with his wife and daughter Sachi. Haruo later runs into Sachi at the park, but he has yet to find out the truth about her."
I think you might be able to guess the truth about the little girl. ;)

Stand Up!!
Fun romantic comedy about growing up and becoming men. :)

Tomorrow
Quality medical drama. :)

Yankee-kun to Megane-chan
A fun, almost over the top comedy. "Shinagawa Daichi used to be a good student who has now become a delinquent, while class president Adachi Hana was a delinquent who is now trying to move on. Her secret is discovered by Shinagawa, but she involves herself trying to correct his ways."
Of course it has its serious moments too, as all dramas do. :) I had a lot of fun watching this one.

Well, that wraps up this installment of dramas I recommend. :mrgreen:

Phreadom / Justin wrote:It looks like it's time for the third installment of my "Favorite and recommended J-ドラマ" list! :mrgreen:

Let's see what we have today... I think I'll wrap the 3 other posts I've made about shows that aren't on this list into the list to begin with...

Bara no nai Hanaya
I really liked this one but was surprised by a real plot twist as the show progressed. ;) Definitely higher up on my list of favorites.

Shiomi Eiji is forced to become a single father when his girlfriend passes away while giving birth to their daughter, Shizuku. Desolate after the loss of the woman he loved, Eiji has little time or desire to even consider remarrying, working part-time jobs just to make ends meet. The one thing that gives meaning and joy to his life is Shizuku, but even that begins to trouble him when Shizuku begins acting strange, hiding her face by putting a cloth over her head when around other people.

One day after opening his flower shop, Eiji comes across a blind woman standing by the door, taking shelter from the rain. When he invites her to come inside the shop, she at first refuses, but later gives in to Eiji's kindness. They become intimate friends and she slowly grows to depend on Eiji's sincerity and goodheartedness. After rescuing her a following evening when she walks into the street and is nearly struck by traffic, Eiji himself inexplicably discovers the cold of winter that has saddled his heart all these years slowly melting away...

プロポーズ大作戦 「Proposal Daisakusen」
I think I'll let my comments from the other thread I wrote about this show speak for this one. It's been quite awhile since I watched it, but I remember it being one that I liked. :)

Bloody Monday
This one was more full of suspense, intrigue, surprises, etc... it kept me on my toes trying to figure out what was going on! I haven't watched the second season yet, so I can't comment on that yet.

BOSS
I'm making my way through the second season right now and I have to say that this is easily one of my favorites. :D A great mix of action, mystery, comedy and dark crime... it's full of surprises. :)

Cat Street
This one was a touching story... I tend to really like these "slice of life" type shows that show a persons personal struggles.

A story about a talented child actress who wins back her dream after retiring from acting. Keito was once a popular child actress, but she had shut herself away from society for 10 years after a traumatic acting incident. She is now 17 years old and incidentally enrolls to a free school for dropouts where she makes true friends. Together, they build trust and find the meaning of life.

Hitotsu Yane no Shita
This one is a great family drama from the so called "golden age" of Japanese tv drama.

A car accident killed a couple, orphaning their six children. At that time, the eldest child, Tatsuya, was only 18 and had to attend marathon training. Lacking the confidence to take good care of his siblings, he separately relocated them to the homes of their relatives and adopters. However, after seven years and a career-ending injury, Tatsuya decides to reunite his brothers and sisters to live together under one roof. To his disappointment, he is met with resentment and discord.

Another favorite I highly recommend.

Hotaru no Hikari
This was a really fun one that mixed serious issues with hilarious moments. I really enjoyed it.

Hotaru works for a famous interior design company. It's a glamorous job but Hotaru's private life is totally the opposite of glamorous. She lives alone, and when she isn't working she's mostly lazing about her rented house in training wear. She's not interested in men. In fact, she isn't interested in anything. "I'd rather lay around than fool around," is her motto.

Her landlord is a bar owner, and one day his son, who has just separated from his wife, comes to inspect the rental property, not knowing that someone is living there. He is shocked at the mess, but not as shocked as Hotaru. He turns out to be her boss, Takano.

Unfortunately that's all for this time. I've had a harder time finding good shows that I haven't seen yet that really pull me in. :think:

I have a couple more on my list currently... I think next will be Freeter, Ie o Kau. :)

Now I think I'll make a couple other posts outside this thread about some other Japanese related shows I've really been enjoying.

じゃ、またね~ :wave:

Phreadom / Justin wrote:It looks like it's about time for another update to the list! :dance:

Apparently I've been running out of new dramas to watch, but I have at least a couple new ones to share.

Detective Conan - Kudo Shinichi e no Chousenjou
I felt a little behind the times not being more familiar with this series, but my first encounter with it was a lot of fun. It's a mix of humor with some rather serious stories involving solving murders and even threats to the lives of the main characters etc. I plan to continue watching other installments of this series (although I don't see myself branching back into the anime/manga versions).

JIN 2
I know I've mentioned JIN before, but having watched the final season, I must reiterate how great this show is. For as crazy as the underlying premise can be, it's still a lot of fun to see how modern medicine can relate to Edo era Japan... the variations in history and the underlying questions etc.

Shinya Shokudo
I really like this one! It's a quirky tale of a tiny little restaurant in an alley that is only open from midnight to 7am that only has 1 item on the menu, but will prepare any meal you want as long as it can be made with what's on hand. The stories revolve around a particular meal each episode and how it relates to a certain person or group of people who become the focus for that episode. The people themselves range from yakuza to prostitutes to strippers to drunks to love sick young men, stubborn women holding out for true love, working men, etc... all varieties of folks who happen to stumble across this little hole in the wall and become part of its story.

(UPDATE: We recently finished watching season 2 of this, and I have to say that it is easily one of my favorite J-dramas yet!)

Dekichatta Kekkon (Shotgun Marriage)
Chiyo, 20, a department store clerk, and Ryunosuke, 30, a carefree bachelor friend of her sister's, are introduced by some friends in a carefree encounter that leads to a pregnancy. Although of different worlds, they fall in love but Chiyo's father doesn't want them to get married. Thus ensues many trials as they grow to love each other and work to earn her father's blessing.

Konna Koi No Hanashi
A classic 90's touching drama. A powerful and wealthy cold hearted businessman finds out he only has a few months to live... he unexpectedly crosses paths to a poor man whose neighborhood he is about to demolish to build a new shopping center. He begrudgingly grows close to the poor man who is unaware of his true identity. Along the way we see changes of heart... a love story... and go through many trials and tribulations on all sides. A great show.

I never did get around to watching Freeter, Ie o Kau, and I don't think I will yet either. I'd forgotten that I apparently never finished watching Namida wo Fuite, and also on my list is 1 Litre no Namida (1 Litre of Tears), to continue the theme of tears. ;)

I could have sworn I watched more in the past 6 months... but apparently not? I'll update again if I magically remember more. ^_^

Feel free to make recommendations if you know of any great ones I should check out. :bow:

Hopefully this helps give people some ideas for shows to check out. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby baskerville » Fri 08.23.2013 12:08 pm

I would like to recommend HERO, Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, My Boss My Hero, Galileo, Iryuu, Gokusen, GTO (original and remake are both great)
...And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make...
baskerville

Native language: English

Postby pauro03 » Sun 08.25.2013 7:26 am

Boku to star no 99 nichi is good, hana kimi as well, and this puzzle drama. :D
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
pauro03

Native language: NA

Return to Japanese Movies and Music