Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Why do japanese movies suck?

Why do japanese movies suck?

Discuss Japanese movies and music.

Re: Why do japanese movies suck?

Postby AJBryant » Wed 11.25.2009 2:51 pm

AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Wed 11.25.2009 4:14 pm

Oh my.

Never noticed all that overabundant hotlinking or I would have commented on it then.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby chikara » Wed 11.25.2009 8:34 pm

OK, since this thread has been resurrected.

debu wrote:.... but everytime I see a japanese movie it seems like a poorly done after school special or something.

I'm talking production values here, like lighting, editing, effects... even the acting. ....... So why can't/don't they make higher quality live action movies?

I recently saw 送り人 (おくりびと) and in my opinion it was a good as anything I have seen come out of Hollywood recently.

It won the 2009 Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film but then I guess that doesn't mean anything as it wasn't being judged against Hollywood movies. :roll:

FrozenFlame wrote:..... Perhaps the old fashioned-movies ? ......

By the old fashioned-movies do you mean the likes of Akira Kurosawa's movies from the 1950's?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby oruchimaru » Mon 05.03.2010 12:31 pm

I agree about the production values. Cheap, crappy, sunday afternoon American movies tend to have better production values than a lot of Japanese films and I have no idea why. To be honest, once I have been watching them for five minutes I tend not to notice.

-Thomas
oruchimaru

Postby charizardpal » Thu 07.22.2010 8:35 am

I have to agree that production values are much better for even the worst of American films. Japanese films also have a tendancy to use super-annoying special effects like cameras that shake for no reason, fast tracking shots, skewed camera shots, speeding up and slowing down time and all sorts of other things that make you dizzy. I just can't understand it when these are higher budget Japanese films (death note.) You'd think they'd hire decent directors and kill the needless student experimentation.

The thing that annoys me the most about Japanese films is how SLOW they are. LIke you'll be watching rain fall on a rock for 10 seconds, or a train rolling along, or something before anyone talks. Whereas in an american film unnecessary details are cut, in the Japanese film you'll see someone open a door, walk in and express salutations, and then talk for a minute about how delicious the scrambled eggs are on the table before saying anything meaningful. Frankly, for me its an unforgivable waste of time.

Someone on the first page of this thread claimed that this is an example of Japanese films developing an "atmosphere" whereas American films are more into "showing." Well my response is that you don't need to slow down the film that much to develop an atmosphere, and I don't understand why you think American films tend to show more, nor why you think for this reason Japanese films are better. Please provide more supporting evidence.
ココモ。。。夢の旅行。 Charizardpal07 UserID: 19670
charizardpal

Postby The Lady Ashuko » Thu 07.22.2010 1:22 pm

I don't think either is inherently better. I've seen some godawful American movies, most of which were, to me, unwatchable because they had no atmosphere. The writing was unnatural, the acting was bad (even the best acting can't save bad writing), and bad pacing.

I usually watch Jdramas (which I believe have a higher production cost and are made better that the movies) but out of the maybe 10 Japanese movies I've seen there were two that I deem unwatchable. Both were so slow that after a while I just stopped caring.

If there was a balance between them, we'd have perfect movies I think. In terms of pacing at least.
吾輩は猫である。名前はまだ無い。
The Lady Ashuko

Postby Oobaka » Sat 12.03.2011 6:59 pm

Although the title of this post could come off as offensive, I can't see I don't say where he is coming from. I am in every sense a Japanophile. I almost feel like an Japanese nationalist at times. Like for example, sometimes I prefere Korean BBQ over sushi.(So sue me why don'tcha? xD). Like I don't want to believe that anything could be better. Learning the language and being too interested in other cultures doesn't work to well for me.( I don't even want to get started on what it means to me to be an American)

I honestly don't think that Japan prioritizes its movie industry.(I'm not saying there aren't some awesome directors and legends from Japan), But in general, not just American movies, but movies from plenty of other countries have a better overall production value. I love Foreign films. I am a member of Netflix(which has a decent handful of foreign films) and I easily get tired of American movies.

The more interesting movies I come across tend to be either French, German, and some other European countries(it's possible to be related to my interest level in those countries vs. my interest level in Japan, but it's not always directly proportional. I mean, I've seen plenty of awesome French movies, but I still don't care about the country so much). And the occasional Bollywood film is always amusing. By far, I am no fan of Latin movies. I am not a big fan of the language, so I tend to steer away from some of their "highly acclaimed" movies. But I couldn't help but LOVE Pans Labyrinth.

And one of my points is that, Japan needs a movie of that production quality. I get sick of countless Japanese horror movies. They're almost always horror, or involve some sort of monster, or everyone dies. Daremo Shiranai was one of the most depressing movies I"ve EVER SEEN! The Suicide Club was pretty awesome but so disturbing! Is it too much to ask for that a movie doesn't have rape, suicide, murder or animfal cruelty in it? I understand that for some reason tragedy is a huge thing in Japan. And I know Japan has one of the highest suicide rates. So this commentary is part cultural and part on the Japanese film industry.

And has anyone ever noticed how lethargic? And some of the soundtracks are not the best I've heard. Everything shouldn't be about samurai and folklore. Why aren't there more movies about day to day life? I know there are happy stories out there! I know there is good music, if some directors could only finds those parts of Japan and put them together!

THIS IS MORE OF A JUDGEMENT ON CONTEMPORARY JAPANESE FILMS. NOT THE CLASSICS.
Oobaka

Postby phreadom » Sat 12.03.2011 9:00 pm

Tony should have a blast with this... he threw in a "Thread Revive!" for an only 4 month necropost... and our friendly new user Oobaka-san comes along and ups the ante to 16+ months. ^_^

Welcome to the forum Oobaka-san. :bow: TJPへようこそ! :wave:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Pianogirl123 » Sun 12.04.2011 3:34 am

I have seen a number of Japanese films and/or TV in which I enjoyed mostly the plot, characters, and sound, but my main problem is that some Japanese directors do not seem to know how to film...

1. Anime dynamics no not carry over to media other than animation and comics. Certain expressions in anime have become standards for expressing emotions, such as the sweatdrop, the nosebleed, the anime fall, someone smacking someone across the room while giggling and blushing. Things like these make sense within the medium, because we have grown to accept and expect them when reading that style of comics, but they look weird in other mediums, such as movies and books. It's like suddenly breaking into a country blues in the middle of a Bach fugue.

2. Expanding on #1, in real life, people do not normally speak to other people while facing away from them to an invisible camera! maybe its different in japan, but I haven't heard of it, and if someone just turned around in front of me, and looked down and started talking, I'd be confused as hell.

3. This is still going along with the top two, but another specific point. It doesn't look as cool as you think to show characters speaking cut of from the nose down. or the shoulders down. etc. In general, a few dramatic shots are ok, but overuse can become distracting and look silly.

4. Cliched characters and/or plots. Every medium of storytelling from every country in the world is full of this, but japanese are slightly less skillful at disguising it :P Culturally/ethnically stereotyped characters are also extremely irritating to me, while they aren't used that frequently, gender-based stereotypes are heavily prominent, sometimes even central to the plot!

5. Overuse of English words- completely subjective opinion from a native english speaker =P japanese people think its cool, can't complain. Just wonder if everything they say is actually in the dictionary, or if people have to look it up to understand them. This in more anime anyway.

Feel free to argue my points logically, or just shout at me for even daring to bring up criticism of japanese film :)
Pianogirl123

Postby AJBryant » Sat 12.17.2011 11:39 pm

phreadom wrote:Tony should have a blast with this... he threw in a "Thread Revive!" for an only 4 month necropost... and our friendly new user Oobaka-san comes along and ups the ante to 16+ months. ^_^

Welcome to the forum Oobaka-san. :bow: TJPへようこそ! :wave:

Yeah, I would have if I'd noticed in time. Now it would be kinda anti-climactic.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Japanese Movies and Music