Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Links in posts

Links in posts

Do you have any suggestions to the page's content and such?

Links in posts

Postby chikara » Tue 03.11.2008 8:01 pm

Not sure if this should be under Suggestions or Problems but I'll put it here for now.

When you click on a link (URL) in a post instead of opening the linked page in a new window as the old forums did the page opens in teh current window taking you away from TJP. (at least under IE 7.0)

I don't know what others think but I prefer to have links open in a new window or a new tab.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Re: Links in posts

Postby coco » Tue 03.11.2008 8:21 pm

chikara wrote:but I prefer to have links open in a new window or a new tab.

Me too, Chikara-san. :)  (using IE7.0)
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Valatunda » Wed 03.12.2008 6:29 am

Yes, I agree. It is nice to have a new window open when I’m testing the links in a thread preview.
Valatunda

Native language: 英語

Postby fielle » Wed 03.12.2008 10:53 am

I tend to prefer to have them open in the same window, as sometimes that is the response I want, and it's always easy (for me, at least) to just click on the link with the middle button/scroll wheel to open it in a new tab when I want it to.
fielle

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Wed 03.12.2008 7:09 pm

fielle wrote:... it's always easy (for me, at least) to just click on the link with the middle button/scroll wheel to open it in a new tab when I want it to.

Thanks. I didn't know that button did that :oops:

Coco-san also pointed out to me yesterday that the right-click menu can be used to open the link in a new window or a new tab.

It takes a bit of getting used to though as the old TJP and just about all of the other forums I frequent open links in a new window by default.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby Gundaetiapo » Wed 03.12.2008 9:05 pm

I can't stand that behavior. It's as if they want to render the back button obsolete, which I have shortcutted on my mouse. I have Firefox setup to always open links in the same window regardless, so I never noticed the difference. I think you can set up Firefox to always open in a new window too if that's what you want. Type about:config in the URL window, then filter on "open_newwindow". A google search will reveal what integer to put there based on what you want.
Gundaetiapo

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Wed 03.12.2008 10:19 pm

Gundaetiapo wrote:.... It's as if they want to render the back button obsolete ....

That is a definite design issue. The browser's back button is OK for static HTML pages but for pages that are generated on the fly the back button is a pain in the neck and often results in "page has expired" type messages.

Some forum software if you click on a link in a preview of your post when you go back the post is lost because the page has expired.
chikara

Return to Suggestions