Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hiding the Shout Box?

Hiding the Shout Box?

Do you have any suggestions to the page's content and such?

Hiding the Shout Box?

Postby coco » Fri 05.16.2008 12:58 am

We know Forum is a part of TJP, and people who don't read forums can use the Shout Box.
So I don't think they will read the Shout box guideline on Wagawiki.

clay: 15 May: 19:54
We'll see what is possible. Of course you can turn off the shoutbox in your 'My Account' area--at least for now.

I can turn off the Shout Box column or other columns from the Block configuration at User account edit page. But it seems to be effective in other categories except for the forums. The Shout Box and "friends!" "Who's online" couldn't be turned off in the forums, except for this type pages.
(When we could click arrows to collapse columns from the front page, the result was the same.)

If we can collapse Shout Box from Block configuration of user account page, and it has effect for forums, it would be great.
----

Members who joined TJP after March might not know, but we had a requirement to use the Shout Box.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5916&p=69037
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8126

Apparently, Mike had succeeded in hiding the Shout box.

--
The following tale is a off topic.
One unforgettable case to me was; a man shouted on the Shout Box that he was going to sue TJP. He got mad because he had thought his dearest son had been ignored in the flash chat. :mrgreen: Then Daisuke-san and Randomperson-san bravely tackled him and his son. I think it happened in 2005.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Re: Hiding Shout Box?

Postby chikara » Fri 05.16.2008 1:54 am

coco wrote:.... Members who joined TJP after March might not know, but we had a requirement to use Shout Box.

Apparently, Mike had succeeded in hiding the Shout box......

Interestingly the member who started that first thread only ever made one post and had been a member of TJP for almost a year when they made that one and only post. Similarly the other poster only made 5 posts, all in a 2 week period, although they last visited the site 3 months later.

It seems that there are many people who use this site but there only interaction with other members is via the shout box.

Many of the questions I see raised in the shoutbox would be better asked and discussed in the forums.

*dismounts soapbox*
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Re: Hiding the Shout Box?

Postby phreadom » Fri 05.16.2008 11:16 am

Ok... here's the question. Should the deciding factor then be how long the user has been a member, as not everyone uses the forums?
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby clay » Fri 05.16.2008 1:21 pm

Many of the questions I see raised in the shoutbox would be better asked and discussed in the forums.

I could add this above the shoutbox submit button: "For language or site related questions, please use forum."
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 05.16.2008 2:45 pm

clay wrote:

I could add this above the shoutbox submit button: "For language or site related questions, please use forum."

That would be about as effective as an "Employees must wash hands before leaving restroom" sign. People with good sense don't need it and all the others will either ignore it or not read it.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby ss » Fri 05.16.2008 11:11 pm

Coco-san, do you remember there was once a pervert during old flash chat time? A few of our TJP ladies had bad experience with him before. He claimed that he was good in Japanese and he could help others. Consider that as harassment? Whenever he entered the chat room, he would start asking “are you M or F”, and he would say dirty things like “do you have b/f?”, “what color panty are you wearing today?”, “have you been on a date before?” ....

I think something is being missed here. I've always seen TJP as an educational and instructional website.

Someone who designs a good website and would like to share his resources with the world, not only it can gives a helpful and useful information that he/she owns, I believe it also gives benefits in many effective ways. A good website can help you to establish a credible, professional image, instilling a level of trust and confidence with many people around the world. Your website can reflect the spirit and vision of you and your work.

Well ......., but for my own curiosity. Why is there a need to furnish email addresses and even mobile number (if that is real), in the very first post and spamming the shout box as well? I can’t resist in relating his real “motive” of visiting TJP. And, obviously I have no say if this kind of thing is going to be allowed here.

If you’re that "enthusiastic" in learning a language, it’s all the more reason to participate in a public forum. It’s a good time to show your real understanding of certain structures and also for the benefits of learners.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby Wakannai » Sat 05.17.2008 4:15 am

clay wrote:

Hrm, just Link (Rules) above or below it. Basically, that the shoutbox is subject to the same rules as the forum, plus a few others concerning length and a suggestion to use the forum for most questions. Otherwise, what Mike said.

Personally, I don't want to turn the shoutbox off just because we get a few idiots now and again. It's usually a pretty cool feature. It just goes sour sometimes.
Wakannai

Postby Axlen » Sat 05.17.2008 10:18 pm

I've added code to the Shout Box that prevents Shouting until the user submits a minimum number of posts to the phpbbs forums. I also was able to verity that deleting a post does subtract from the post count for the user who created it. There are some issue with how the Shout Box displays under the forums right now, but hopefully Phreadom can help me get those straightened out.

There may be a way to take into account the OG forums posts too, but I'll consider that later.

I've set the minimum forum posts to 5, but Clay can adjust it up or down easily.

coco wrote:...
Members who joined TJP after March might not know, but we had a requirement to use the Shout Box.
Axlen

Postby phreadom » Sat 05.17.2008 11:54 pm

Actually I was thinking about doing the check against their join date rather than number of forum posts.

Not all users post on the forum... and a valuable contributing member on other parts of the site might only post once or twice in the forum in a year (as some of the comments have said I believe).
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Wakannai » Sat 05.17.2008 11:58 pm

phreadom wrote:Actually I was thinking about doing the check against their join date rather than number of forum posts.

Not all users post on the forum... and a valuable contributing member on other parts of the site might only post once or twice in the forum in a year (as some of the comments have said I believe).

I remember a while back, we had someone with over 100 posts that we were all wondering, "Who is this?" Until we figured out that all of those posts were made on the anime forum.
Wakannai

Postby Axlen » Sun 05.18.2008 8:13 am

phreadom wrote:Actually I was thinking about doing the check against their join date rather than number of forum posts.

I like this idea too. Another suggestion is to enable user ranking on the forums and use that as the basis for Shout box usage. A combination of several measures in some formula might be interesting. It would make it more difficult to get around Shout restrictions.
Axlen

Return to Suggestions