Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Practice English category

Practice English category

Do you have any suggestions to the page's content and such?

Practice English category

Postby coco » Tue 04.18.2006 5:28 pm

Of course TJP is a wonderful site to learn Japanese, at the same time, good place to learn English.
There are some Japanese members here in ( ?on?with?) TJP.
I suppose most Japanese members expect to improve/polish their English while they try to explain Japanese culture and language.

If there was a "Practice English"section, I think more Japanese members would start to contribute their message/then more Japanese participate this site.

When you watch wrong English composition written by Japanese people(like this, mine), you will notice some basic differences of thoughts between Japanese language and English.

What do you think/feel about making "practice English" section? It will work every people who are not native English speaker also.
So far, It seems that negative factors of making new section are
1) burden of server
2) how many members use new section. ( if participation were less than 2-3...it may be sort of premature).

I appreciate any comments ( especially objections are welcome) from you.
Thanks in advance.

日本人の方。特に今までROMをしている方、よろしければご意見をお願いします。後々のこのサイトのことを考えても、「英語練習」の新設は意義があると思いますが、日本人の賛成意見が3名以上つかなければ、時期尚早であろうと思います。

編集:改行調整
Last edited by coco on Tue 04.18.2006 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

RE: English Language Improvement

Postby Paul De Stefano » Tue 04.18.2006 7:02 pm

As you see I am a new member. In less than one week I feel that my knowledge of Japanese has benefitted greatly. I have also been impressed at how precisely and concisely native Japanese speakers are using English. Coco-san and SuzuQ-san both express themselves at a level many American college students would envy. For the purpose of our learning Japanese, their English is more than sufficient for me.
However there are times where the English of non-native speakers does come across as slightly stiff or just strikes the English speaking mind as an odd turn of phrase. Although I am American and not Japanese, I still would feel that correcting my teacher feels inappropriate.
One of the pleasures of studying another language and culture is the insight that one can gain about the human mind and from being open to different points of view.
In summary, if our teachers would appreciate our suggestions for writing more natural sounding English I would be happy to contribute.
Paul De Stefano

RE: Practice English category

Postby Christian_ » Tue 04.18.2006 8:05 pm

I think thats a great idea, theres so many native Japanese speakers that help the English speakers learn. I think we all should try to help others learn English because they help us. I know I'd be willing to help anyone with their English. Anyway Coco san, I don't know if you noticed, but your english is perfect, you write like a native speaker.
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby ss » Tue 04.18.2006 10:09 pm

That's right ! Those have chatted with Coco-san in the chat room knows she is a wonder woman !! :D Not only can converse well, she is also knowleageable about almost anything. B)

I think it's a good interaction with Japanese and non-english speakers, so long as the people concerned are really keen to learn and make good use of the forum.

Concerning your worry of these 1) burden of server and 2) how many members use new section ...

I was thinking is there any possibility to add the Practice English Category to the Reading Club Forum, forming a fix sub forum. In this case, we can share the same reading materials and at the same time, learning different points of view from different cultures. It will soon lead to a better understanding not of the story itself, but through the interaction in English as well, that will be beneficial for both languages learners.

Coco-san or any other members, what do you think ?
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby SuzuQ » Tue 04.18.2006 10:25 pm

As I already told Coco-san in other forum, I think this is a great idea.
I sometimes have questions about English and foreign culture, but I don't have so many English-speaking friends to ask. If TJP has a Practice English forum, then I don't have to hasitate to ask those questions ;)

I think it is also good for English speakers because they can have a chance to use their Japanese by answering the questions. (even if it is a Practice English section, the replies don't have to be written in English all the time, right?)

The negative factors I can think of are;
- Maybe someone would be annoyed and think "hey, this is a site to learn Japanese, not to learn English!"
- Only a few members = waste of the server space. (I think the Practice English forum will have much less posts and members than the Practice Japanese forum)
SuzuQ

Postby ashitaka » Tue 04.18.2006 11:14 pm

yeah i finally have a thread to practice in.
How would we go about practicing? just post some english and discuse it?
ashitaka

Postby pikctsach » Tue 04.18.2006 11:22 pm

In my opinion, i think this is a good idea. So let's the Practice English forum rolled out for a month or so.. If it brings benefits and funs for members of TJP, why dont we keep it?
Last edited by pikctsach on Tue 04.18.2006 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pikctsach

Postby coco » Wed 04.19.2006 4:21 pm

I really appreciate all of your opinions/comments/idea.
Paul De Stefano-san, クリスチャンさん. thanks for quick replies. When I have read your messages, even if new section is unnecessary ,I got infinite satisfaction because I could hear your such kindly opinions.

-"hey, this is a site to learn Japanese, not to learn English!"

SuzuQ-san, yes I understand what you said, please read messagesposted on 11-04-2006 02:56-08:53 of this thread.
An existing category ( except introduction) is not suitable to ask about English for learning English. That is a reason of my proposal to new section.
If there is even one member who tell " Here is not a site for leaning English", then I think we should better to give this plan up.

SS-san thanks for your opinion. Yes,absolutely, a participation with Reading Club as a Japanese is very good way to improve his/her English. The "Reading Club" is suitable for member who likes reading ( strictly, depends on a book, an author. I think it is something like a torture that have to read stories written by dislike author.) I'm afraid that not every Japanese want to join Reading Club. So, I guess it is better to apart from Reading club. What do you think about ? any comment are welcome.

Well, I am waiting for other people who declare to wish "Practice English" section.
Of course objections too.

Thanks again.
Last edited by coco on Wed 04.19.2006 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Postby ss » Wed 04.19.2006 8:01 pm

The "Reading Club" is suitable for member who likes reading ( strictly, depends on a book, an author. I think it is something like a torture that have to read stories written by dislike author.) I'm afraid that not every Japanese want to join Reading Club.

Thank you Coco-san. I too agree with you, not many people like reading the same book, same author. But, a story itself contains so many things that others might be curious about, there would be something to explore and share.

Anyway, this is my superficial view. In any cases, majority wins.
Thanks again. ;)
ss

Native language: English speaking family

RE: English Practice room

Postby bikki » Mon 04.24.2006 11:34 am

I totally agree to have the room for practising english as english is not my mother tongue neither.

I am trying my very best to keep the level of english while studying Japanese. You can imagine how hard it is. While I got slight improvement in my Japanese, I had a feeling that my English skills are getting worse.

I hope to have the English Practice Room to appear. Let's practise together.;)

bikki - greedy to learn two languages at the same time.
bikki

Native language: 中国語

Postby aKuMu » Mon 04.24.2006 4:55 pm

Thats a really cool idea. I would really appreciate it.
(as english is not my native language)
I would say that such a section cant be wrong.
Last edited by aKuMu on Mon 04.24.2006 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby Sachi » Mon 04.24.2006 5:24 pm

There are so many people here who's native language isn't English, so I like the idea a lot :) I'm a native speaker, but would be glad to help anyone with questions as best I can. I know how much asking questions improved my Japanese, so I think this would greatly help many members trying to improve their English ability.

As for the concerns about server space and how much use it would get, we'll have to see what Clay-san thinks, right?
Last edited by Sachi on Mon 04.24.2006 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sachi

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 04.24.2006 5:27 pm

I think it's a fine idea. All of these people help us out so much, it would be nice to be able to return the favor in an appropriate forum.
zengargoyle

Postby coco » Mon 04.24.2006 6:38 pm

Bikki-san, Akuma-san,さっちゃん, zen さん。
Thank you for letting me know your opinions.

英語を母国語としない方からの意見は、とても参考になります。:)
Bikki-san,Akumaさん。ありがとう。

I'm not sure how many Japanese people utilize it even if new section is available at this point. However, I believe the " English practice" category will be good for no-native English speaker ( of course almost Japanese), and also will be good place for the person who wish to become an English teacher.
coco

Postby Keo » Mon 04.24.2006 7:07 pm

I have learned so much from Coco-san and others who are not native English speakers, who help me with Japanese.. English is my native, although i dont speak it very well (thanks to the internet, i use way too much short hand stuff and not very proper English), but i will be more than willing to help anyone who has any questions..

I feel that everyone who has helped me, the least i could do is provide help in return, return the favor.. A lot of the non native speakers speak it better than the native ones.. but we all stumble across questions, or possibly an incorrect use of something..

so in my opinion, im all for having an English section, and i also think that on the chat too.. there is a "Japanese classroom" on the chat occasionally.. why not have an "English classroom" ?
Keo

Next

Return to Suggestions