Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Ignore Function

Ignore Function

Do you have any suggestions to the page's content and such?

Ignore Function

Postby lalaith » Tue 04.24.2007 2:17 pm

I know some message boards have an option where you can choose to "Ignore" posts based on who posted them. What this means is that when you log in, you will not see any post by someone on your "Ignore List." (Though you will still see responses to that post by other members.)

This, let me emphasize, is fully voluntary. A person would have to deliberately add a member to their "Ignore List". And if you let it be known on the board that you have put another member on your "Ignore List" that qualifies for instant and permanent banning.

You could also choose not to use the "Ignore" functionality at all & continue to see every post by every member. As I said, it's voluntary -- not mandatory.

I've seen on another message board that this seems to help things run smoother. Given recent events, I thought I'd bring up the idea here.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

RE: Ignore Function

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Tue 04.24.2007 2:31 pm

This was brought up before and decided against.

It would cause a lot of explanations to be repeated, which might get annoying. Or someone will post a good explanation and no one will want to add anything, but if you had blocked that person, you wouldn't be able to get an answer.

Also, just because someone starts out as an idiot doesn't mean they'll stay that way, but if you just ignore everyone who you mark as an idiot at first you'll probably miss something.

Trust me, I started out as an idiot, but I hope I have been able to atleast contribute a little back to this site since then.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 04.24.2007 5:54 pm

lalaith wrote:
And if you let it be known on the board that you have put another member on your "Ignore List" that qualifies for instant and permanent banning.

Why? That's basically just telling someone "your posting style annoys me so much that I don't want to read your posts anymore"; I don't see why that's worth a ban.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby lalaith » Tue 04.24.2007 7:24 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
lalaith wrote:
And if you let it be known on the board that you have put another member on your "Ignore List" that qualifies for instant and permanent banning.

Why? That's basically just telling someone "your posting style annoys me so much that I don't want to read your posts anymore"; I don't see why that's worth a ban.

With you, Yudan Taiteki, and for you that might be all it means. All other people are not you.

Where I've seen it used, it's always been the policy. Personally, I think it's a good policy. Otherwise, some people are going to use it as a weapon.

I can just picture the posts.

It would start with, "If you don't change your tone I'm going to add you to my 'Ignore' list."

Then it would progress to announcing to the entire board, "I'm 'Ignoring' XYZ".

Then they'd publicly try to get their friends on the board to also 'Ignore' XYZ.

And afterwards, they'd post, "Oh, don't pay attention to XYZ. I stopped listening to him/her. XYZ is on my 'Ignore' list."

And that's only in one direction. Suppose XYZ decides to do the same thing in return?

That kind of immature nonsense can ruin a board in no time.

And without the threat of a ban, I can see it happening.

With the threat of a ban, if you decide you don't want to listen to a particular person anymore, then you do it quietly and unobtrusively without causing a scene or publicly hurting anyone's feelings.

Of course, once you do put someone on your "Ignore" list, you do have to be aware that the kind of confusion prep_girl_Nessa described can crop up. One would hope that someone who uses an "Ignore" list realizes that's the price they pay.

Personally, I've never used an "Ignore" list. The most I've ever even been tempted to do is to send a Private Message letting someone know that I don't plan on responding to any more of their posts and requesting that he/she not respond to mine. However, I have seen where an "Ignore" function has help keep tempers down & keep a board running smoothly.

Besides, it's an academic point as this group previously decided it did not want to use an Ignore Functionality. (I did, by the way, look at all the threads on the Suggestion forum to see if this had been proposed. I didn't see it on there.)
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Return to Suggestions