Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - I don't mean to be rude, but...

I don't mean to be rude, but...

Do you have any comments to tjp.com, good or bad?

I don't mean to be rude, but...

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Tue 03.08.2011 8:09 pm

I've noticed that the boards continually have issues. They seem to be worked on constantly by this site's webmaster. Just this moment I had to sign in 5 times just to post a topic. When I hit "post a topic" for one board I was given a message saying my password was synced with phpBB. Many times I notice that when I click on a topic, I'm sent to an invalid URL. Upon examining the URL, I notice that it repeats the URL twice, looking something like this:
http://thejapanesepage.com/forum/http:/ ... .com/forum

I'm not sure why there are such alterations being made continually when the site uses phpBB. I've never seen such problems with other phpBB boards. I suggest leaving the backend to them.
Cyborg Ninja

Re: I don't mean to be rude, but...

Postby chikara » Tue 03.08.2011 8:13 pm

I went through a period, a month or so ago, when I saw that sign on error regularly but haven't had it since.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Dustin » Tue 03.08.2011 8:48 pm

I've never had any of these issues! The password syncing to phpBB is just the communication between drupal and the forum. Never been an actual error for me though.

I can't even remember the last time that the boards were specifically down from work. Sometimes there are load issues with the server ( which is getting worked on ) that occasionally shuts the forum down, but that's it.

I do recall that earlier the entire site was offline, both sides, and it was unexplained as phreadom was able to log into the server and there was no high load.

I'll let him know to poke over here though.
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Tue 03.08.2011 8:54 pm

I can say that I'm certainly not breaking anything. ;)

One thing you need to keep in mind is that this isn't just a phpbb forum.

There are heavy code modifications to allow it to work embedded within the rest of the site. This does cause a few bugs here and there, but usually they shouldn't be anything that breaks things.

(There are a few outstanding ones, like following a link from an email about a PM notification etc... but those are known bugs)

If you find one that is repeatable, please let me know. :)

Basically the way things are set up right now is a way to try to get the best of both worlds... to have the forum be an integral part of the rest of the site. A shared user database etc... this can make things a little trickier, but generally it makes things better over all. :(

Sorry for any trouble it might be causing you. :sweatdrop:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby AJBryant » Tue 03.08.2011 10:16 pm

Well, for the record, I'm still having to log in every time I come here to the forum. Even though, as far as the left side of the screen is concerned, I *am* logged in (It has my name and all that stuff SHOWING when I come here, but if I want to go to the forum I have to log in at the forum.

It annoys the crap out of me.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 03.08.2011 11:52 pm

FWIW I'm having the exact same problem as Tony, but it's just a minor annoyance.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Dustin » Wed 03.09.2011 12:03 am

I can't even remember the last time I logged in.....

I wonder if it's the cookie reset time, since I'm here so much lately? :p
Dustin

Postby phreadom » Wed 03.09.2011 3:17 am

Well, I've just doubled the session length again... back to 24 hours. Hopefully this will at least stop the login aggravations. (although I'd think that if you have it set to always keep you logged in, it shouldn't log you out? :think: )

In short, since I put in the new chat, we've been running a very high load... lots of open sessions really contributes to that... so I'd lowered the time-out on sessions back to 12 hours while I worked on other means of lowering the load.

Sorry again for the trouble everyone. :sweatdrop:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby AJBryant » Sat 03.12.2011 3:13 pm

I just get weirded out by it all.

I dumped all my cookies, but nothing changed. :(

Phreadom, I do appreciate everything you do here. You rawk.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Dustin » Sat 03.12.2011 3:17 pm

One thing I CAN comment on.

The last few days we have consistently had a fairly full chatroom ( 8-10 people ) which is shutting down the forum due to server load.

Hopefully we can get this fixed, I'd hate someone to stop coming because the boards always seem to be down! :doh:
Dustin

Postby hyperconjugated » Sat 03.12.2011 4:30 pm

I've had troubles logging in and also with the forums being very sluggish. Sometimes the forums just stop loading and I get bubkes. I need to reload etc. to get the forums working. Also, the logging in on the forums was not indifferent: if I log from the left bar it's usually ok. If log in from inside the forum's 'log in' feature, it doesn't work so well, i get this ol' skool low resolution log in (it's hard to describe without screenshot, sorry).

Right now it seems to work though.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby Dustin » Sat 03.12.2011 4:51 pm

hyperconjugated wrote:I've had troubles logging in and also with the forums being very sluggish. Sometimes the forums just stop loading and I get bubkes. I need to reload etc. to get the forums working. Also, the logging in on the forums was not indifferent: if I log from the left bar it's usually ok. If log in from inside the forum's 'log in' feature, it doesn't work so well, i get this ol' skool low resolution log in (it's hard to describe without screenshot, sorry).

Right now it seems to work though.

By the oldschool low res login, do you mean the site seems to mostly disappear except for large text, white background etc.?

If so i know exactly what you're talking about, but didn't realize that this issue was still going on! ( Let alone with logins )
Dustin

Postby Dustin » Sat 03.12.2011 4:54 pm

Here is an example of what I am talking about.....

Dustin

Postby hyperconjugated » Sat 03.12.2011 5:03 pm

^That's it. It was such an inconvenience that I stopped logging in at all for some time.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby phreadom » Sat 03.12.2011 5:48 pm

I'm pretty sure I know what is causing that.

Basically something isn't redirecting correctly, so you're ending up at an address with "phpbb" in the URL instead of "forum". You should be able to simply fix the URL by hand up in your address bar and get the page looking normal again. :( Sorry 'bout 'dat. :P

I need to update the module that links the forum with the rest of the site, and I'll try to look for what might be causing that URL failure on the login redirect when I do so.

Thanks for the updates... this does in fact help me narrow down the problems. :bow:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Next

Return to Comments