Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - American English help please!

American English help please!

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

Re: American English help please!

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 01.21.2010 2:58 pm

IceCream wrote:haha... sorry i should have done a *

*In Britain.

from Wikipedia:
In the UK, the suffix 'ade' means a 'carbonated sweet soft drink'

shoulda figured that.. let me get the egg off my face here... lol

that's interesting..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Thu 01.21.2010 3:46 pm

AJBryant wrote:
tokai devotee wrote:2. Lemonade in Oz is like the soft-drink sprite, but my American buddies call lemon juice, lemonade, and call the other 7-up.* By that I mean, squeezed lemons with sugar and water. You know, like kids might have lemonade stand to make some money and they'd sell it by the cup or whatever. Well, that kind of 'lemonade' is what we call lemon juice. Is that making sense!??

If you're adding water and sugar, it's no longer lemon JUICE, is it? It's a drink made using lemon JUICE -- that is, the juice from a lemon -- as an ingredient. We call such drinks -ade. Limeade, lemonade, grapeade, etc. (You don't want to know about Gatorade. ;) ).

Okies. What the heck do you call lemon Juice, you know, that stuff you get out of a lemon if you squeeze it real hard, if you are calling something else lemon juice?

I think you're just too close to Japan where they just call anything ジュース.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby chikara » Thu 01.21.2010 6:18 pm

AJBryant wrote:..... (You don't want to know about Gatorade. ;) ).

We have Gatorade and Powerade sports drinks here too. The red Powerade in Oz has a totally different taste to the red Powerade in the USA (yuck).
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby tōkai devotee » Thu 01.21.2010 8:16 pm

Infidel wrote:
Okies. What the heck do you call lemon Juice, you know, that stuff you get out of a lemon if you squeeze it real hard, if you are calling something else lemon juice?

I think you're just too close to Japan where they just call anything ジュース.

I remember in Japan when I was offered shochu or can "Chu-hi" people often referred to that as juice! Pretty strong juice :lol:

Anyway, now we're getting technical :wink:

To us, lemon juice is freshly squeezed lemons, even if you add a bit of water and sugar. Personally I don't like straight lemon juice, so I add some sugar to take away that sour taste. Once you add a lot of sugar and water, then it becomes either fruit drink or cordial. Generally, cordial has between say 5 - 20% fruit juice and fruit drink contains around 25%.
Attachments
0122101028-00.jpg
0122101028-00.jpg (12.9 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby chikara » Thu 01.21.2010 9:16 pm

tokai devotee wrote:I remember in Japan when I was offered shochu or can "Chu-hi" people often referred to that as juice! Pretty strong juice :lol: ...

If you find shochu juice too strong you can always dilute it with hot water :P

My favourite juice is grape juice, preferably red and served at room temperature ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Infidel » Fri 01.22.2010 5:30 pm

tokai devotee wrote:To us, lemon juice is freshly squeezed lemons, even if you add a bit of water and sugar. Personally I don't like straight lemon juice, so I add some sugar to take away that sour taste. Once you add a lot of sugar and water, then it becomes either fruit drink or cordial. Generally, cordial has between say 5 - 20% fruit juice and fruit drink contains around 25%.

Most people don't like straight lemon juice, that's why it's mainly a cooking ingredient.

I always wondered what the heck a cordial was whenever I read some book written by from someone across the pond. Cordial is not a word that gets used here at all.

Fruit drink here is artificially fruit FLAVORED stuff that could be confused with fruit juice before you drink it. Tang, Orange Drink. etc.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby AJBryant » Sat 01.23.2010 7:53 am

Actually, I'm very fond of cordials. In my experience (and usage) cordials are thick, usually sweet and syrupy, liquers.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Infidel » Sat 01.23.2010 9:49 am

AJBryant wrote:Actually, I'm very fond of cordials. In my experience (and usage) cordials are thick, usually sweet and syrupy, liquers.

Ahh, liquor. That would explain why I haven't heard the term. My body treats alcohol like poison. So I don't get the good feeling that people describe. I go straight to headache, dizziness, nausea and wonder why people like drinking so much. I've no idea what a buzz is.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 01.23.2010 12:44 pm

Note that liqueur and liquor are different; a liqueur is a type of alcoholic beverage that is fruity and sweet.

As for alcohol, do you get that feeling when you just have one drink, or drink alcohol with food? If I try to drink more than one drink on an empty stomach it makes me sick, but wine with food or a nightcap is good. Sometimes you have to experiment to find out what you like.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Infidel » Sat 01.23.2010 10:07 pm

There are alcoholic beverages that I like. A strawberry shake with a shot of amaretto. Mudslides, made with ice cream not crushed ice. Fruity stuff like a screwdriver or pina colada. But it still goes:

No sensation
No sensation
Headache
dizzieness
nausea.

so Strong stuff bypasses the " no sensation" stage and goes straight to the headache stage. But I can have some drinks without negative effects, or positive effects for that matter. More of a, that was tasty, effect. Still no idea what a buzz is. Unless it's being dizzy and having a headache.

Once I went to a club with a friend and they were doing some kind of cinnamon shots. So I had one, noticed it was rather tasty but had no effect, so I had another. It was also tasty and had no effect so I had another. Then my friend told me to stop. I went outside and noticed that I had somehow skipped the headache stage and went straight to dizzy. That was also the only time I've had a hangover.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby AJBryant » Sun 01.24.2010 10:00 am

Infidel wrote:My body treats alcohol like poison.

So does mine.

Sweet, wonderful, delightful poison. ;)

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Note that liqueur and liquor are different; a liqueur is a type of alcoholic beverage that is fruity and sweet.

Yeah, but there's liquor in liqueur. (I'm picturing a Van graph of "all liquors" and "liqueur" as a subset. A very sweet, sticky, YUMMY subset. Hey, where's my amaretto?
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.27.2010 12:31 pm

Infidel wrote:
AJBryant wrote:Actually, I'm very fond of cordials. In my experience (and usage) cordials are thick, usually sweet and syrupy, liquers.

Ahh, liquor. That would explain why I haven't heard the term. My body treats alcohol like poison. So I don't get the good feeling that people describe. I go straight to headache, dizziness, nausea and wonder why people like drinking so much. I've no idea what a buzz is.

run up and down the stairs until you are out of breath, hold your breath, put your head down between your knees, then when you are about to pass out, breath in real quick and stand up fast.. that's a buzz.. it's a lack of oxygen to your brain, you get it when you first drink, because all the blood is moving to collect the poison. so your brain gets forgotten for a minute or 3.
two_heads_talking

Postby phreadom » Wed 01.27.2010 12:59 pm

For a slightly more technical explanation...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-term ... of_alcohol

;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.27.2010 2:23 pm

so, what, my explanation was confusing or something? :think: :think:
two_heads_talking

Previous