Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - An interesting news article

An interesting news article

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

An interesting news article

Postby NileCat » Thu 08.19.2010 11:25 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... _park.html
A Pennsylvania mom is suing Walt Disney World, claiming an actor dressed as Donald Duck copped a feel when she asked for an autograph for her kids.

April Magolon, 27, of Upper Darby, Pa., said she approached the iconic duck while at Epcot in May 2008, and the actor inside the feathery suit got fresh with her.

"Donald Duck proceeded to grab [her] breast and molest her and then made gestures making a joke indicating he had done something wrong," said the suit, which was filed in federal court.

Magolon says she suffered "severe physical injury" as result and has been plagued with anxiety, headaches, nightmares, digestive problems and cold sweats.

She is demanding more than $50,000 in damages.

Japanese article.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20100 ... 68-mai-int
米フロリダ州のテーマパーク「ディズニーワールド」を訪れた女性(27)が、キャラクターのドナルドダックに扮(ふん)した従業員に胸を触られるなど痴漢行為をされて精神的苦痛を受けたとして、ディズニー側に5万ドル(約430万円)の損害賠償を求める訴訟を起こした。米メディアが報じた。

報道によると、女性は08年5月、婚約者や子供たちと訪問。サインをもらおうとドナルドに近づいた時、胸を触られたという。女性はその後「ショックで体調を崩して仕事も休み、経済的損失も受けた」と主張している。

米/フロリダ州/の/テーマパーク/「ディズニーワールド」
(America) / (Florida state) / (in) / (theme park) /("Disney World")
を /訪れた/女性/が、
(at)/(visited)/(woman)/(is),
キャラクター/の/ドナルドダック/に/扮した/従業員/に
(character)/(of)/(Donald Duck)/(as)/(acted)/(employee)/(by)
胸/を/触られる/など
(breast)/(on)/(touched)/(etc)
痴漢/行為/を/されて/精神的/苦痛/を/受けた/として、
(molestation)/(activity)/(on)/(being made)/(emotional)/(anguish)/(on)/(suffered)/(assuming)
ディスニー/側/に/5万/ドル/(約430万円)/の
(Disney)/(side)/(toward)/(5 0 thousand)/(dollars)/(approx 430 0 thousand yen)/(of)
損害/賠償/を/求める/訴訟/を/起こした。
(damage)/(compensation)/(on)/(claims)/(lawsuit)/(on)/(instituted)

In Japanese, the word order is totally different, of course. But it wouldn't be that difficult to imagine the meaning of the sentence if you know the meaning of each word.
But, well, what I am curious about is that...what do you see Japanese word "を"?
苦痛"を"受けた How can I explain the meaning of を with a simple English word when I want to make some explanation like I did above to a Japanese learner ? :roll:
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Re: An interesting news article

Postby chikara » Thu 08.19.2010 10:13 pm

NileCat wrote:.... what do you see Japanese word "を"?
苦痛"を"受けた How can I explain the meaning of を with a simple English word when I want to make some explanation like I did above to a Japanese learner ? :roll:

To my understanding English doesn't have the equivalent of を. In some cases it may act like the definite article (the, a, an) or as a preposition (to, in, for, on, at etc) and in some cases it corresponds to nothing in English. :think:

That probably isn't much help. :blush:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Hektor6766 » Fri 08.20.2010 1:23 am

Just speaking for myself, I can't really see "を" as a word, or as even appearing in the sentence at all, only as a marker of grammatical flow, if you will, directing the action of the verb toward を's related noun, a subliminal mechanism. Various attempts to describe it include "the object marker", "the accusative particle" or "the transitive particle," but there is no concrete English equivalent to grasp. As in "I throw the ball.", "He touched her breast", "I sustained an injury," the presence of a subject and a predicate (the verb and an object noun) and the word order are the only clues. The articles "the " and "her" don't really help in this regard. Without particles, a grammatical English sentence needs all of those other elements. "昼食を食べました。", no problem; "Lunch ate.", problem. Sometimes there is a preposition to help, as in "I swung at the pitch" or "I stepped on the bug", but not really that often.
What's more, "sustain an injury" or "suffered mental anguish", despite their connotations, are "pseudo-passive" active verbs with object nouns and therefore, at least in English, transitive. Compare "My jaw was broken." (passive) to "I suffered a broken jaw." (active, pseudo-passive). So, を in you example makes sense to me, though I doubt my explanation has clarified anything.

I guess the simplest explanation is を "pulls" the action of the verb to its noun, like は pulls attention to the topic or が throws the emphasis away to the other part of a sentence.
Hektor6766

Native language: English

Postby NileCat » Fri 08.20.2010 11:34 am

Great! Thank you chikara and Hektor6766!
Now I feel like I've been gradually understanding Japanese!
:)
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Return to 英語の練習