View topic - he'd of got me

he'd of got me

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

he'd of got me

Postby Ranja » Sat 08.02.2014 4:58 am

he'd of got me sure という文の構造がわかりません。
'd は何が省略されているのでしょうか?
前置詞ofのあとにgotが来るのを初めて見ました。これは文法的にどうなっているのでしょう。

I knew he was below me. Everybody kept saying to me: 'Lucille, that man's way below you!' But if I hadn't met Chester, he'd of got me sure.'

(The Great Gatsbyより)
Ranja

Native language: Japanese

Re: he'd of got me

Postby Ongakuka » Sat 08.02.2014 12:03 pm

It means 'He would have got me for sure' (「絶対捕まっていただろう」 のような意味)

'd > almost always means 'would' (仮想)

In proper speech, it should be 'would have.' But in casual speech, it can become 'would of'

'got' has many meanings. In this case, it means 捕まる (or it might translate to something else depending on the context, but that is the root meaning.)

Ranja, I have never ready the Great Gatsby, though it is very famous. It must be quite a challenge. Please let me know what you think of it :D I hope to read it too, someday.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Shiroisan » Sun 08.03.2014 2:23 am

「would of」 = 「would've」 の発音です。 つまり、それを書くと正しくないと思います。でも口頭でいいです。 
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby Ranja » Tue 08.05.2014 6:49 am

Ongakukaさん、Shiroisanさん、ありがとうございます。

ofは'aveの略なのですね。まさかとは思いましたが。

The Great Gatsbyは、私にはちょっとまだ敷居の高い作品でした。
村上春樹による翻訳と照らし合わせながら読みましたが、表現が難しい上、初めて見る単語の目白押しで、人が言うところの英文の凄さを堪能するまでには至りませんでした。
ですので、ストーリーだけに絞って述べると、前半は正直退屈でした。何よりGatsbyがなかなか出てこないし、これから何が起きようとしているのか見当もつかなかったので。ですが、後半になると一気におもしろくなってきます。思わず、夜が更けるのも忘れて最後まで読みきってしまいました。(もちろん日本語訳で。最後あたりになると、英語でのんびり読んでいられません。)

Robert Redford主演の映画も、DVDを借りて観ました。かなり原作に近い筋書きになっていました。とはいえ、かなり端折っているので、映画を見るなら原作を読んでからにしたほうがいいと思います。
Ranja

Native language: Japanese

Postby Ongakuka » Tue 08.05.2014 8:59 pm

Thank you, Ranja :D

A lot of the classics are quite 'heavy' and difficult to read, even in one's own native language. In England, of course, we are made to study English literature at school, and I grew to love the writing of William Golding (especially his most famous work, 'Lord of the Flies' (クリスさんが名乗ったアダ名) as well as 'Rites of Passage.'

I will definitely avoid the film until I have attempted to read the Great Gatsby :D
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Shiroisan » Wed 08.06.2014 6:22 am

I think if the subtlety of the Great Gatsby happens to hit you, it could be a good read, otherwise I understand why it would be boring. There were a few things I was able to identify with, but it wasn't very interesting for me.

Out of all the classics we were made to read in school, the only one that truly had an effect on me was The Catcher in The Rye. Some might say that is typical of a male teenager :sweatdrop: but I still think what it offers is far more profound than just male adolescent frustration.

Personally I couldn't stand Lord Of The Flies. Considering that I'm a person who has a lot of disdain towards the human race, you'd think I'd have been able to get something out of it. But there wasn't a single thing within that book that had to make me think. "So this author just wants to show me what he thinks unadulterated humans are like. Er, alright. Can see where this is going."
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Return to 英語の練習