Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - English help

English help

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

RE: English help

Postby flammable hippo » Sat 03.17.2007 8:45 pm

I am a Swedish" actually sounds the worst to me.

I think that is better off being "I am a Swede"
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

Postby HeyItsMatt » Sat 03.17.2007 9:44 pm

flammable hippo wrote:
I think that is better off being "I am a Swede"

Ah, you're right. I didn't even think of that.
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

Postby marquis » Fri 03.23.2007 3:12 am

Wow. Considering all of the overwhelming amount of comments here, I guess that - against my better judgement - I'll put in my two cents worth.

*drops two cents*

If the argument is that Coco-san's sentence is grammatically incorrect, then we're at a loss. There are many things in English that are grammatically correct that we do not say in order to say something that sounds more natural. I had to come to grips with that one day in the following manner:

According to grammar rules as set in English, you cannot grammatically end a sentence with a preposition. However, when we meet someone new, what is the first question we ask?

"So, where are you from?"

*hits the buzzer*

To be grammatically correct, we would have to say something more like:

"So, from where are you?"

Just reading that throws most native english speakers for two to three loops. Mostly because of the fact that, in America, where english is the native language, the things that we say are not grammatically correct, yet they are acceptable just because (as AJBryant aptly put it) we are used to hearing things a certain way. I'm a little more grammar conscious than most, so to hear how many times a day that anyone (including me) ends a sentence with words like "at" or "good" or "from" brings me close to a need for a strong drink and a bullet.

Now, if you are going from the standpoint of what sounds natural, we have a little more footing from which to lodge any type of a correction. Mostly because as far as things that sounds natural are concerned, "Japanese" is used as a descriptive word (read as: adjective) in that sentence. If you say something like, "I am a Japanese", then my instinctive reaction would be "You're a japanese ____....what?" Mostly because, as a westerner I am accustomed to (note the HUGE part that experience and hearing play in my treatment of this sentence as opposed to grammar) hearing the word "Japanese" describe some other noun, especially after an article. For example:

- a japanese book
- a japanese movie
- a japanese song
- the japanese word for....
- the japanese newspaper

So to answer Coco-san's question (as if it hadn't been by now), grammatically, you are just fine. Naturally speaking, if you are concerned about westerner's ears (I'm not really), then you probably want to say "I'm Japanese".

By the way, as to those two cents, you can all keep the change. ;)
marquis

Postby sexylexi » Fri 03.23.2007 6:40 am

marquis wrote:
I'm a little more grammar conscious than most, so to hear how many times a day that anyone (including me) ends a sentence with words like "at" or "good" or "from" brings me close to a need for a strong drink and a bullet.

So the sentences, What are you looking at? and This food isn't good. Are wrong!? OMG the world as we know it is over!!!

anyways yeah i pretty much noticed that every nationality sounds ok when saying e.g. I'm a columbian etc. except for the ones that end in -ese. I'm a Vietnamese. I'm a Portuguese. I'm a Taiwanese. For some reason it just doesnt click in our brains. It's correct just sounds weird.
Doumo arigatou gozaimasu. Dou itashimashite! :D
sexylexi

Previous

Return to 英語の練習