Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is English hard to learn?

Is English hard to learn?

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

RE: Is English hard to learn?

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 02.19.2007 11:50 pm

TrilinguisT wrote:
If your not going to eat here anymore, please clean up your mess.

they have a problem with they own cat.

As richv pointed out, these are different things. The first one is a spelling mistake, the second is a dialectical difference (it might be called a "mistake" but that's not really the best word for it, unless you consider *all* dialect deviations from "standard English" to be mistakes. It's no more or less a "mistake" than any other dialect difference -- also, it's possible that "they" in this case may just be a dialectical pronunciation of "their" rather than an actual word usage difference.)

Angstycoder:
(and you're should not be pronounced like your anyway!)

Says who? In the dialect I speak (midwestern, which is sort of "standard"), they're both pronounced the same. I know some dialects distinguish them, but saying that they *should not* be pronounced the same is kind of strong.
Last edited by Yudan Taiteki on Mon 02.19.2007 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Tspoonami » Tue 02.20.2007 12:03 am

One of the fun things with English is to drop all of your contractions. Speech sounds so incredibly different somehow.

Isn't English the only language that has spelling bees? And isn't that a sign of the complete failure of the writing system?
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby tsan_aznboi » Tue 02.20.2007 2:01 am

Yes, its hard. I still have trouble with past tense, future tense, and grammar rules. If it makes senses to me it good enough. :D
tsan_aznboi

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 02.20.2007 8:59 am

Isn't English the only language that has spelling bees? And isn't that a sign of the complete failure of the writing system?

I don't think you can call it a "complete failure" since people are able to use it to communicate. It surely has problems and is not ideal (IMO it is not as problematic as Japanese's writing system, but that's a different thread).
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Hanatenshi » Mon 03.05.2007 4:14 pm

Hello Neo^^! I'll wanna inform you! First, sorry for my english sometimes, but I'm not perfectly fluent yet, so that's why my vocabulary could seem a little limited"^^, but I'll do my best(like usual)! So, I'll could help you for it, 'caus I'm a french native speaker, and I've started to learn english with a book(assimil) and then I progressed with the web in general, it's very helpful, and I think the more you like a language the less you'll have difficulties to learn it, that my point of you anyway, it's like for everything in life, that's why it's important to do a job you like "in preferance", 'caus you'll be more active and efficient in a job you like than the oposite(sorry I do my best, lol!), for me, english is one of my favorite language, and of course it hasn't been that hard, but anyway I think english is pretty easy to compare with the others language, and that's why english will be the world language, 'caus I think the others will be always a little difficult, so if you wanna speak to strangers on the web like here or making friends, I think it will be always good to know english! So on it, ganbatte kudasai^^!XxXxX
Come and check my forum^^ >> http://anglais-fun.positifforum.com
Hanatenshi

Postby LittleRed » Thu 06.14.2007 11:33 pm

yes. it is very difficult to remember.

for example the word "soap" is very difficult to pronounce for non-natural speakers. some literally say it " so-ap" but natural English speakers (such as myself) know it is pronounced "sow-p".

English has too many rules.
LittleRed

Postby Seapony » Fri 06.15.2007 12:41 am

For those of you having trouble learning (American) english, I suggest investing in the School House Rock DVD set. Saved my hash growing up (although I ended up singing way too much in class).

;) :p :D
Seapony

Postby Koara » Wed 06.27.2007 6:50 am

What?..English is the easiest language to learn,..surely not the hardest!! o o..XxXxX
Koara

Native language: French ~ フランス語

Postby Koara » Wed 06.27.2007 6:55 am

Is american so different than english?..I think I'll wanna be able to speak american too^^!..XxXxX
Koara

Native language: French ~ フランス語

Postby tanuki » Wed 06.27.2007 9:11 am

There is no language called "American".
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby adamcube » Tue 08.21.2007 6:14 pm

Native English speaker here!

When I was younger, I used to think that English would be extremely easy to learn for a foreigner; we have a regular Subject-Verb-Object sentence order for starters, and most of the time looking up words in a dictionary and plugging them into a basic sentence frame will suffice if your goal is to be understood. As I became more aware of how other languages worked, though, I began to realise that it's the intricacies of English which would stump the non-native speaker. I often amuse myself in thinking how a foreigner might get around the fact that you can either take, have or get a shower; all three meaning the same thing.

The more I dwell on it, the more I realise that whilst "broken" English should be relatively simple to pick up, smooth and natural English must be incredibly difficult. Saying that, though, the world these days is swamped with English, thanks mainly to the popularity of American pop culture. If anything, that must be a positive for anyone wishing to learn it!

Also, as a side note, there's no -real- difference between American and British English, aside from a few spelling discrepancies. I'm British, and can converse with an American completely fluently and naturally - I'm surprised some see them as being so different from one another!
adamcube

Postby enpitsu00 » Fri 10.12.2007 10:01 pm

Last edited by enpitsu00 on Mon 07.11.2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enpitsu00

Postby HeyItsMatt » Fri 10.12.2007 10:38 pm

we have a regular Subject-Verb-Object sentence order for starters

I'm not trying to be argumentative or nitpicky, but I would assume that Japanese people find SVO order just as "irregular" as we find their SOV order irregular. As a matter of fact, I personally think the Japanese way of doing it - being able to drop the subject and even object if they are known from context - seems to be kind of convenient and simplifies things.
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

Postby Feba » Fri 10.12.2007 10:50 pm

I still cannot be sure how a new word'd be pronouced correctly just by looking at it.

Even native speakers can't, because we don't have very stable spelling rules, since it is, as mentioned, basically a hodge-podge of various languages.

A quick look at Word of the Day on dictionary.com gave me "paroxysm". Apart from having no idea what the meaning could be, I can think of three different pronunciations (PAIR OH ZY ZAM; PAH ROCKS ISM; PAR OX ISM), and various combinations of them. The actual pronounciation is close to "PAIR OCK SIZ UM".

Of course, this is nowhere near a common word, since I'd recognize those, but it illustrates my point.

Another good example is looking at the words "Tough", "Though", "Thought", "Through" (and "Throw"), "Thorough". Just looking at them, you realize it's somewhat silly.

Also take a look at http://www.hep.wisc.edu/~jnb/charivarius.html ; the subject is slightly different, but it's wonderful.

In standard American English, there is no difference in pronunciation between your and you're, so using your for you're is simply bad spelling.

I'm going to throw my two cents into this hat-- they have two very different pronunciations to me. "your" is pronounced like "yoor", whereas "you're" is more like "yer". Although I think it's more a matter of people pronouncing your as yer that results in this.

I remember reading an "accent" test a long time ago that would ask questions like that-- whether there was a different pronunciation for various words (like, there and they're, stuff like that), and it was fairly interesting.

For those that care, I've spent most of my life in the midwestern united states, but I've been told I have closer to a "Boston" accent. I personally think this is because of my hearing problems as a kid (I used to get so many ear infections I looked forward to them because I liked the way the medicine tasted), and nothing special.

Anyway, annoying as it is, the written system greatly helps my English skills, in my opinion. Hearing a word that doesn't sound quite right, and mentally linking it to a logical spelling, and thus deriving the word intended is a great way to get over accents and such (although it does occasionally give me headaches when I listen to British TV) where I otherwise would've had to guess the word from context.

I'd like it if English moved to a syllabary, true, but it would take an extremely massive revolution for something like that to happen, and it would be a very large and complex system to be able to keep the sounds English has now intact (and killing off pronunciations would make the switch even harder). Hell, it would almost be easier to get people to switch to an entirely new language, and then get that to replace English.
Feba

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 10.12.2007 10:53 pm

Actually I'm going to have to reverse what I said 8 months ago (necropost? What?) -- I also pronounce "your" and "you're" differently, and it's as Feba says ("you're" is "yer"). I grew up in the Midwest.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

PreviousNext

Return to 英語の練習