Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Teaching English?

Teaching English?

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

Teaching English?

Postby AlexNippon » Tue 01.02.2007 2:50 am

Hello,

On Friday I'm gonna start working as an English "teacher". Basically, the only thing I'm there for is so the students may get some practice in conversational English. However, my boss told me that I'm gonna be the one responsible for planning the classes, coming up with interesting topics etc.

Does anyone have any advice for interesting topics or some other fun, educational activities I could arrange in class? Anyone other experiences or so? I'm gonna be teaching small kids to couples in their 30s.
Last edited by AlexNippon on Tue 01.02.2007 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
AlexNippon

RE: Teaching English?

Postby Kagemaru » Tue 01.02.2007 4:45 am

You are a teacher, right?

Or are you one of the thousands of others making a small fortune an hour providing poorly prepared, incorrect, un educational lessons?

Ever thought to how this attitude reflects on real English teachers in Japan?

Edit: Pardon me, blowing off steam. My statement still stands unless you are Japanese teaching Japanese or are volunteering to provide such services.
Last edited by Kagemaru on Tue 01.02.2007 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby AlexNippon » Wed 01.03.2007 12:29 am

Kagemaru wrote:
You are a teacher, right?

Or are you one of the thousands of others making a small fortune an hour providing poorly prepared, incorrect, un educational lessons?

Ever thought to how this attitude reflects on real English teachers in Japan?

Edit: Pardon me, blowing off steam. My statement still stands unless you are Japanese teaching Japanese or are volunteering to provide such services.

Dear Kagemaru,

I understand your statement.

I am not a real English teacher, but would rather in, your words and definitions, fall under the category "Provider of poorly prepared, incorrecit, uneducational lessons".

Now, as you might have seen, I decided to write the word teacher within citation marks. I am not a real teacher, but I believe I might not have been clear enough with my situation.

Let me give you with some background information.

I was asked by a Japanese friend of mine for a favour for her mother. Her mother runs a private English teaching school. Most of her students are either young children, new to the langauge, or couples or small groups of people, also quite new to the language. The reason to why I was hired was so that the students once a month or so would get some conversational practice. The reason why I said yes was because she is a friend of mine and the previous "conversational teacher" decided to take off and not come any longer - why my friend's mother was urgently looking for someone to fill up the spot. Let me also add that I am not a Japanese teaching Japanese, nor a native speaker of English. The previous "teacher" was a native speaker, why I furthermore feel some pressure to perform well with the students.

So, I hope that I now have cleared that out, and that others also may see the reasons to why I asked, and that I hopefully still may get some inspiration on what on earth to conversate about to beginners in English.

Thank you for your reply.

Best regards
Alex
AlexNippon

Postby Hatori » Wed 01.03.2007 12:34 am

I, myself, really do not like my Language Arts class. But, a fun thing you could do for your students is to let them create a silly story of some sort. For example:

You start with one row of your students. You tell them to say a word and continue down all of the rows and create a sentence or a couple of sentences to make a funny story.
---

Or maybe you can teach some sort of poetry. Make your students understand poetry and it can help them advance their English. Maybe make them memorize a poem and recite it in front of the class and make them use English-like hand gesters too.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby AlexNippon » Wed 01.03.2007 8:43 pm

I liked the idea about hand gesters. Not much of that in Japanese compared to other languages, eh? The story telling was also a good idea but I think my classes are gonna be too small for that activity, I'll definately keep it in mind if they turn out bigger than I though. I'll have a shot at the poetry. Thanks ;)
Alex
AlexNippon

Postby Kale » Thu 01.11.2007 3:54 am

How big are your classes going to be you think?

I worked for about a year or so teaching on a government contract in elementary-middle-high schools before I finally could get a real steady job, and small kids are mostly trying to learn vocabulary at the start, and small role-playing, call and repeat stuff (depending on how advanced they are). We played a lot of games to keep up there interest, and the explanation of the game (usually something they already knew) in English was part of the lesson.

Ideas...

Small-younger kids:
-カルタ (kuruta) basically you say noun and the first kid to slap their hand down on the card with the picture of that is the winner of that card
-伝言ゲーム (dengon gemu / telephone game) Kids in a line, whisper the word you tell them from the front to the back, see if the last person understands it.
-Forgot the name but you have a face and a bunch of parts (eyes, nose, mouth) kinda like mister potato head only on paper, and one kid is blind folded, one gives directions is in English. "Up Up Up Up, Left, Left Left, Down, Down, STOP!" They try to make a correct (or funny looking) face.

Adults:
Everybody's different, but I used to warm up one-on-one's just talking about what the person did that week and asking questions. But just remember adults are all ready to do role-playing as well! I taught one of the mucky-mucks over at Pioneer and I was suprised how well he took to role-playing different situations.

-Kale
Kale

Postby Chenzah » Thu 01.11.2007 4:43 am

When i was in japan i got the 'pleasure' of going to one of these classes with my host sister thingy. Essentially, they got given an extremely complicated article on string theory and were told to read it.

I was gob smacked, i could barely understand it and I've been studying physics in English for years. I have no idea how a group of Japanese who have only just started grasping the language were meant to understand that. That was the entire lesson, occasionally the teacher (Who was a Nisei) would walk up to one of the students and sound out the words to them like a primary school teacher to a child.

^^This is the sort of thing Kagemaru i meant by "Provider of poorly prepared, incorrecit, uneducational lessons" i think

I think you'll be fine so long as you put some thought into it and actually engage with your students.
Chenzah

Postby aKuMu » Thu 01.11.2007 5:52 am

Sorry, but YOU are going to be paid for your "work" and i think YOU should "work" for it.
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby RanRane » Sun 02.04.2007 3:18 pm

aKuMu i ove your signature! Its really pretty!
RanRane

Postby hiraikotsu » Mon 02.05.2007 2:39 am

I think Kale's idea of getting them to talk abt their week is a good one... at least they get to practise speaking in past tense :)

Pictionary or Taboo are also fun ways to improve their vocabulary.. u can create word lists based on common themes: eg, "In the supermarket", "Countries", "Animals" etc.... Divide the class into 2 groups pitting against each other ;)
hiraikotsu

Return to 英語の練習