Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - English pet peeves

English pet peeves

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

English pet peeves

Postby tanuki » Tue 01.02.2007 10:53 pm

Hi, people!

Do you have an English pet peeve? You know, that one mistake you can't stand to see or hear.

Even though English is not my first language, I have one I can think of right now:

definately

:@ I always cringe when I read that word, it's so annoying!

For all of you out there who don't know yet, the right spelling is definitely.

So, what's yours?
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

RE: English pet peeves

Postby Kisshu » Tue 01.02.2007 11:02 pm

Ooooo it drive me crazy when people say/write learnt.... it is LEARNED for crying out loud!
Last edited by Kisshu on Tue 01.02.2007 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby Hatori » Tue 01.02.2007 11:18 pm

I hate it when people don't use "an" before a word that starts with a vowel. I also don't like it when people talk like they are using netspeak in real life and when people use random old English. OR when people "Aunt" with a British accent. It just sounds weird.
I also hate when my Language Arts teacher gives me this weird look when I ask her a question sometimes. She SCARES me. :o But for some reason, we're always getting in some sort of weird tangle together, but she's still a nice teacher.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby randomperson » Tue 01.02.2007 11:33 pm

Kisshu wrote:
Ooooo it drive me crazy when people say/write learnt.... it is LEARNED for crying out loud!

But learnt is a word *from merriam-webster's dictionary; learnt-chiefly British past and past participle of learn
randomperson

Postby ss » Tue 01.02.2007 11:34 pm

Ooooo it drive me crazy when people say/write learnt....

I don’t understand why.

Learned – having a lot of knowledge because you have read and studied a lot.
Learnt – the past tense and past participle of learn.

“What have you learnt from this chapter?”
“Have you learned your lines for the play?”

Both example sentences are commonly seen in textbboks, newspapers, magazines ....... here.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby angstycoder » Tue 01.02.2007 11:44 pm

Lernt is more common in non-American English. I would have gotten around to posting this had I seen the article earlier.

Gotten is more commonly used in the US, and mostly dead overseas (from what I hear).

My personal pet peeve (speaking of native speakers... I have no pet peeves for those learning,) is probably the "r" phenominon. Having just moved to Texas, I find people Worsh things a lot, whereas I wash them. The law of conservation of Rs, however, states that the numbers is constant. Therefore, Rs are dissapearing from the New England area; please savfe our Rs!
angstycoder

Postby clay » Tue 01.02.2007 11:46 pm

I dreamt or I dreamed? Either or either? (you have to hear it...)

Well, I'm sure it's either in both cases.
clay
Site Admin

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Wed 01.03.2007 12:00 am

angstycoder wrote:

My personal pet peeve (speaking of native speakers... I have no pet peeves for those learning,) is probably the "r" phenominon. Having just moved to Texas, I find people Worsh things a lot, whereas I wash them.

I know what you mean; a lot of people in Pittsburgh 'Worsh' things to. It's definitely 'wash!'

I can't stand reading posts from people who don't know what the shift/caps lock button is, or what any type of punctuation is suppose to look like expect a million exclamation points. It's just anoying. A few spellling mistakes are fine, but atleast try. 'U' is not a word, it's 'you,' same with 'r' 'are.'

And the 'thug' langauge, like the way the singer/rapper Nelly pronounces his 'r's and stuff like that, basically talking like the person is from the ghetto, to me is extremely disrepectful and makes the person talking sound like a complete idiot. It bothers me more than I care to admit >.>
Last edited by prep_girl_Nessa on Wed 01.03.2007 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Hatori » Wed 01.03.2007 12:06 am

I absolutely hate it when people use the word "fishes". Even though it's proper, it does not sound right, I think.
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby KitsuneTsuki » Wed 01.03.2007 12:07 am

Along the lines of worsh for wash is the animal known as a woof. So.... does a dog say "wolf! wolf!"?

There are probably several more things about the English language that drive me up the wall, but that's the one that jumped into my head as I was reading this.
KitsuneTsuki

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Wed 01.03.2007 12:08 am

Hatori wrote:
I absolutely hate it when people use the word "fishes". Even though it's proper, it does not sound right, I think.

As in 'he fishes a lot,' or 'he caught a lot of fishes?' Because the second one is wrong, I think.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby flammable hippo » Wed 01.03.2007 12:14 am

I hate how Häagen-Dazs puts an umlaut over the 'a' and doesn't even pronounce it like it should. With an umlaut it should be pronounced like Haygen-Dazs. So to take this to a broader level; I hate how English takes other words (or in the case of Haagen-Dazs, an American company making up a German sounding word) into its language and completely disregards the original pronounciation. I would understand that if English lacked some sounds that other languages had (such is the case with Japanese; l, x, q, etc) but English has the most sounds out of any language and I don't think there is any reason why English speakers can't pronounce words right.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby Hatori » Wed 01.03.2007 12:17 am

prep_girl_Nessa wrote:
Hatori wrote:

As in 'he fishes a lot,' or 'he caught a lot of fishes?' Because the second one is wrong, I think.

Yeah. My science teacher and many others say something like "He caught a lot of fishes!" when they talk about more than one fish. That's what I'm talking about. :D
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby ss » Wed 01.03.2007 2:44 am

Clay wrote:
I dreamt or I dreamed?........

Here, both dreamt and dreamed are used as the past tense and past participle of dream in British English.

British English is commonly taught in schools, but we do learn American English.

mould or mold, moult or molt, mouse mat or mouse pad, revise or review ....
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby Scavengist » Wed 01.03.2007 3:18 am

1. Gangsta langwij. ( O howeva its speld.) [Or should I say, Ebonics?]

2. |\|37 5|>34|<

3. When people confuse neither and either.

4. When people badmouth others saying "He's a idiot!" repeatedly when you'd think
they'd have the slightest trouble not saying the "an". (I wanted to stab that day)

5. When people get "saw" and "seen" mixed up.

6. When people say "learnt" or any other stupid, irregular paste tense verbs with "t" instead of the correct "ed".

7. Oh my god, I heard... now this beats "warsh" for "wash"........."droring" for "drawing". ...

... ... ... ... ... ... ..yeah, so

8. Same with drawing, people say "drawling". I just hope I don't hear "drorling", or I'll pick up the nearest knife and throw it in their face.

9. Nicknames for stuff. "I can't find the clicker!" ..."the what?" "the clicker" "the what?" "the clicker, duh!" "what?!" ".... you're stupid!" "REMOTE!"

10. The pop and soda controversy. Like, the whole arguement is that soda belongs to the west side and pop belongs to the east side or something. Well, atleast it is here.

11. The mere fact that English reminds me of George W. Bush for some reason.

12. I think the official structure of English is eroding away. I'm not complaining. :D

No, I am anti-English. B) But what can I do.

Learn a different language.
Last edited by Scavengist on Wed 01.03.2007 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN JAPAN!
*Akira hakate*
Scavengist

Next

Return to 英語の練習