Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - English pet peeves

English pet peeves

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

RE: English pet peeves

Postby Mime777 » Tue 07.03.2007 12:21 pm

What I don't like is people using SMS in forums...on chats it's okay but... I should not criticize those whose spelling is kind of bad because I do some mistakes too(I'm learning english so...) So please don't throw boots at me! O.o

Well people you're just like me but with english... I can't stand when people make stupid mistakes. They don't seem to know their language...
Mime777

Postby AJBryant » Tue 07.03.2007 3:27 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
He left the group in a huff after a discussion over shiru/wakaru. He later posted this long thing on his blog about how slj would no longer gain the benefit of his experience and it was their loss, etc etc

There isn't a smiley or icon in my collection that has the right level of "WTF-ness" to respond to that.

Sigh.

I mean... just sigh. Man.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Xurma » Tue 07.03.2007 5:13 pm

I can't remember any annoying expressions now, but one thing brothers in one of my acquintance. --> Off topic

He plays World of Warcraft all the time addictively, and all of my friends hate him because he is a little shrimp who tries to be some gangsta, and he is always so pissing off that it's difficult to keep up a conversation with him.

And the thing that annoys me the most is that he always says that he can speak English, though he is the worst in English I've ever seen in my age-class.

When he gets 20/20 points in English word test in school, then he goes bragging about it, though he should not say that he can speak English... here are some examples:

Go mignig (Go mining please, used in WoW)
wat do you doing? (What are you doing)

And more of that pathetic expressions, sometimes I want to punch him straight into the face. :)
Xurma

Postby DavidMcGimpsey » Tue 07.03.2007 6:55 pm

I have two pet peeves. When people say "aks" instead of "ask" or "asteriks" instead of "asterisk" :D
DavidMcGimpsey

Postby tanuki » Tue 07.03.2007 8:16 pm

Asterix? :D
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby AJBryant » Wed 07.04.2007 6:28 am

Of all the Gaul!
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby DavidMcGimpsey » Wed 07.04.2007 9:12 am

AJBryant wrote:
Of all the Gaul!
lol :)
DavidMcGimpsey

Postby richvh » Wed 07.04.2007 11:05 am

Not all Gaul, just one tiny village.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby AJBryant » Wed 07.04.2007 11:26 am

LOL!

It's nice to know people still know their classics. ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 07.04.2007 11:40 pm

Infidel wrote:
Actually it's not correct the plural of fish is just fish.

I was going to say, the only time I've heard "fishes" is in set phrases. According to Webster's fish and fishes are both standard spellings.

I think part of the problem is people thinking there is only one correct way to spell or say any given word, probably due to prescriptivist's elitist attitude, that won't even consider the possibility of being wrong.

The prescriptivists have a somewhat difficult challenge, but they are unfortunately aided by the almost complete ignorance of linguistic science among the general populace.

Basically prescriptivists have to take the prestige dialect of English, which is inherently no better or worse than any other dialect, and defend it as being better than other ways of speaking. They also fight a losing battle against the absolute inevitability of language change over time. They're armed with faulty grammatical knowledge based on a long history of applying a descriptive grammar of Latin to the English language, and a number of bizarre shibboleths that have accrued over time. They use ad-hoc arguments, selectively applied -- for instance, people will argue that it's more precise to have the "less" vs. "fewer" distinction, but nobody argues that a new word should be created in addition to "more" for the sake of precision.

A big problem is that people are not critical enough when it comes to evaluating these sorts of things. I think a more useful prescriptive grammar could be developed if people would check these prescriptive rules against the history of the language and actual modern usage (even usage in edited prose by educated writers), and if some of the developments in linguistic science in the last century were incorporated into the prescriptive advice.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby SenescenceReign » Thu 07.05.2007 9:46 pm

Did I mention how much I hate today's journalism, and all the pet peeves it inspires? This is taken directly, word-for-word, from http://www.kfor.com. Kfor is one of the major news stations in the state of Oklahoma. See if you can spot the errors that cause my rage.

An Iowa man clung to a tree while waiting to be rescued in raging flood water. On Wednesday, Todd List and son Duncan, where floating Duck Creek in Bettendorf, Iowa when their canoe tipped over.

True story.

Edited for temporary stupidity from being subjected to... the above.
Last edited by SenescenceReign on Thu 07.05.2007 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/relurk
SenescenceReign

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 07.05.2007 10:05 pm

I see an extra comma after Duncan and a misspelled word ("where" for "were"). That is pretty bad for a lead.
Last edited by Yudan Taiteki on Thu 07.05.2007 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby chikara » Thu 07.05.2007 10:23 pm

SenescenceReign wrote: ... floating Duck Creek in Bettendorf ...

Was "Duck Creek" the name of their canoe?
Is Bettendorf a river or a lake?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby SenescenceReign » Thu 07.05.2007 10:35 pm

Fairly certain it's an area in Iowa. I was under the impression it was more like a city... Needless to say, this is the sort of crap I'm getting accostomed to. I mean, can't you tell from my previous sentence how much brains losing my head am is?
/relurk
SenescenceReign

Postby chikara » Thu 07.05.2007 10:45 pm

OT but SenescenceReign-san I like your avatar. B)

Similar thing happened when the British established their colony in Oz. They used the principle of terra nullus. This was eventually overturned by the High Court in 1992, 200 years too late for the indigenous population.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

PreviousNext

Return to 英語の練習